Potential student

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Not necessarily. Some folks really like forms. I wouldn't want to start someone with them, but I've been surprised by how folks react to them.

I've been surprised by how much I like them. Although maybe it's because I'm better at forms than I am at sparring.

When I was a kid, I thought forms were stupid. Especially because I was learning the lower belt forms which were fairly simple, and usually had just a single, simple strike for any direction. But now I love forms.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been surprised by how much I like them. Although maybe it's because I'm better at forms than I am at sparring.

When I was a kid, I thought forms were stupid. Especially because I was learning the lower belt forms which were fairly simple, and usually had just a single, simple strike for any direction. But now I love forms.
I was never interested in forms. I started creating them to have a way to walk through the movements of techniques when I was traveling (no partner). When I started my new curriculum, I decided to create forms to give us some material for various uses (something to practice at home, use for warm-up, and something to do when recovering from injuries, etc.). I found students seemed to really dig into them, and I liked learning them. I've gotten to where they are my default warm-up - I'll do my staff kata a few times before going out for a run.

I'd still rather spar, but it turns out I quite like doing forms, too.

Matt Bryers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Teaching martial arts is a gift for your student(s) and you. For me, teaching helps me troubleshoot my own techniques / understanding of the techniques; but I find that I also learn more by "sharing". When I verbalize a technique or flow, compared to just "training it" - it forms other pathways in my brain the give me a higher understanding.

In regards to paying, it's your first "student". When I started my first "school" years ago, I was training at a Kyokushin Karate place, and started teaching Jiu-Jitsu to a fellow student who wanted to learn the grappling arts. I didn't charge him, it was a passion project. But what ended up happening was that other students became interested as well. Soon, 1 became 2, became 5, became 10, became 150+.

You never know where this training can lead. It may just be you helping a kid who needs it. You're changing his life and inspiring him to be better. That in itself, is an amazing thing. Next thing you know, he's telling his friends, and next thing you know, you can start a new business for yourself.

So - I would suggest share you passion, and let it go from there.

Oss.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
nor is every one you, if you like forms, as apposed. To doing them as they are useful, then you are very odd, or a supressed ballet dancer, which are you ?
Grow up. I'd expect that kind of comment out of a 10 year old. Yeah I am a ballet dancer what about it?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
well exactly,QED ,even then you should be able to recognise when something is light hearted and not react like a pouty girl
Again with the comments that make you sound like a 10 year old.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if it helps I'm sure you look very manly do your ballet, i mean forms, just get rid of the tutu if your doing it in the garden

nb for the humour impaired thats a joke
Can't expect him to wear the tutu outside the garden, can you?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ATTENTION ALL USERS:

This thread is going totally off the rails, and it's getting a bit rude, too. Please take it back on subject and keep it polite.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Okay so decided I'll give it a try. I'll start off training him as a kick boxer basically. I'll teach the basic punches and kicks and blocks etc and have him do pad rounds, heavy bag work and some conditioning.

If he sticks with that for a couple of months I'll move onto kenpo self defence techniques and maybe some basic grappling and after that if he's interested move onto forms.
Ah great stuff, a real life Karate Kid story ;D. That's really cool, enjoy it, and yeah no need to put too much pressure on yourself, just have fun with it ay

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Did the first session today. Focused on the basic blocks and punches today. Did some focus mitt and bag work and defence training. He seemed to enjoy it so next one will be on kicks
Moved onto kicks today. That was more of a struggle than punches but that's to be expected he did good though got the basic principles down

That's great! Keep us informed please.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today worked on pure defence we did a few rounds of me throwing punches at him and him trying to block. He did okay single shots he blocked well enough but started to struggle when I doubled up on shots but that's to be expected I also introduced parries to him. Then got him to throw punches at me and I defend. That gets him used to punching at a target and having to work around someone's defence and of course arm conditioning.

Next time I plan to do something similar but put in counter punches as well.

He's progressing at a good pace he seems to be practicing on his own as well which is always a good thing to see. I haven't done much on his fitness yet once we've got basics down I'm going to buildup some endurance for him before going further because in my opinion fitness is just as important as technique