MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pulled from Wikipedia

Possible electoral college changes

National Popular Vote Interstate Compact

The Compact, if passed by states representing a controlling majority of the electoral college, would require states cast their electoral votes for the national popular winner, essentially shifting the election to a popular vote. The existing system is argued to encourage candidates to cater to swing states, discourage voter turnout, and allow candidates not popularly elected to take office as happened in the elections of 1824, 1876, 1888 and 2000. Currently, only Maryland has signed NPV legislation into law.

[edit] DC Fair and Equal House Voting Rights Act of 2007

In 2007, Rep. Thomas M. Davis (R-VA) introduced the "DC Fair and Equal House Voting Rights Act of 2007" in the U.S. House. If enacted, the act would have the effect of increasing the size of the electoral college by one. The bill's primary purpose is to give House representation to the District of Columbia, alongside an additional electoral college vote award to Utah in order to balance the addition. The Congressional Research Service has determined that if passed, the bill would likely be found unconstitutional, on the suggested basis that Congress does not have the authority to grant a Representative to the District.[71]
The bill also grants, for partisan balancing, an additional House seat to Utah, which very narrowly missed gaining another seat in the 2000 census, and increases Utah's electoral votes by 1, since Utah is likely to vote Republican and the District of Columbia is likely to vote Democratic. However, this will only be valid until the next census, when the extra seat will be reapportioned like all other seats. The District of Columbia's electoral vote count would remain unchanged at 3, as required by the 23rd amendment. The likely effect of the change, if enacted, on the 2008 presidential election would be to give a +1 advantage to the Republican candidate: Utah has not been carried by a Democratic presidential candidate since 1964, and in the most recent election gave the Republican 71% of the vote. Even though the size of the electoral college would increase to 539, a candidate would still need 270 electoral votes to win.

[edit] Presidential Election Reform Act (California)

There is a proposed initiative in the state of California to alter, in time for the 2008 election, the way the state's electoral votes for president are distributed among presidential candidates. Under the proposed measure, it would switch from a winner-takes-all system to a system under which every candidate receives electoral votes based on their percentage of the popular vote in California. The Democratic Party has opposed this, saying that it will give an unfair advantage to Republicans and is tantamount to electoral fraud.
As of September 27, 2007, efforts to get the initiative on the ballot appeared to be dead.[72] However, it gained new life in late October 2007, when a new organization began raising the money thought needed to get the initiative on the ballot.[73]
In order to appear on the June 3, 2008, ballot, the initiative must garner approximately 434,000 signatures by February 4, 2008, according to California's Secretary of State.[74] However the signatures were not submitted in time for the June 3 ballot which means it will likely appear on the November 4, 2008 ballot.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The Electoral College is certainly overdue for a revamp; it was originally created because of the time lag in communications, which no longer exists - people would vote for their local representative, who would then travel to the capitol and listen to the candidates, and (presumably) vote for the one who would do the best job for his constituents.

There was also the underlying belief that the "common man" was not educated enough, or smart enough, to choose for himself who the best candidate was - the electors were generally from among the best educated/wealthiest in the district, as they were both respected, and financially able to leave their homes for the months necessary to travel, learn about the candidates, vote, wait for the results, and return home again.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Personally, I think the election should go straight popular vote, nation wide.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You've gotta love the balls on the California Republicans. The State is likely vote Democratic in the election, so they want to take half the votes and give them the Republicans. There are no "Red State" initiatives to do the same thing with states that are close to 50-50 leaning towards the GOP.

The Last Legionary

All warfare is based on deception.<br><b>nemo malu
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They will never give up that which gives them power. That would take a group of truly honest men, and there is but none there.

IV

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not give the electorals by county, since, in CA, the county collects all the votes anyways? Oh, because then CA would be a red state...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The Electoral College is certainly overdue for a revamp; it was originally created because of the time lag in communications, which no longer exists - people would vote for their local representative, who would then travel to the capitol and listen to the candidates, and (presumably) vote for the one who would do the best job for his constituents.

There was also the underlying belief that the "common man" was not educated enough, or smart enough, to choose for himself who the best candidate was - the electors were generally from among the best educated/wealthiest in the district, as they were both respected, and financially able to leave their homes for the months necessary to travel, learn about the candidates, vote, wait for the results, and return home again.
I was always taught that the electoral college was created as a compromise between the big states and little states. The little states worried that the more populous states would become the states that controlled the union. What with me now living in little Iowa (as opposed to California, where I grew up), I kinda like the idea of the electoral college -- whereas I didn't necessarily as a Californian.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So the population centers; LA, San Fransisco, Seattle, NY, Atlanta, Boston, Chicago should be the only votes that matter?
The electoral college prevents that. A whole bunch of people don't live in big cities and with the electoral college, their votes still count, without it, not so much.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
We're re-running the debate over the Great Compromise here on MT!

If it's strictly a popular vote, then California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Georgia could run the country. California and Texas would have as much influence as the 25 least populous States put together. I'm not completely comfortable with this.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
We're re-running the debate over the Great Compromise here on MT!

If it's strictly a popular vote, then California, Texas, New York, Florida, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan and Georgia could run the country. California and Texas would have as much influence as the 25 least populous States put together. I'm not completely comfortable with this.
Well, on that we agree.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was always taught that the electoral college was created as a compromise between the big states and little states. The little states worried that the more populous states would become the states that controlled the union. What with me now living in little Iowa (as opposed to California, where I grew up), I kinda like the idea of the electoral college -- whereas I didn't necessarily as a Californian.

Very ironic posting from Iowa worried about what states control who gets elected

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
As long as nobody suggests "3/5 of a man for purposes of electoral apportionment" I'll leave the knives in their sheaths :)

There's actually an interesting story behind that part of the Great Compromise.

Slavery nearly scuttled the United States from the beginning. The North wanted it eliminated on the whole. The South wanted its "peculiar institution" protected. A lifetime later the question of which States would be free and which ones would continue the abominable trade in human flesh led to civil war.

The Northern States didn't want slaves counted in the census. The South wanted them to count the same as freemen but without the right to vote. The compromise was the famous 3/5.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
... There was also the underlying belief that the "common man" was not educated enough, or smart enough, to choose for himself who the best candidate was ...

And some of us believe that is true today ;)

Another thing to consider: what do ANY of us REALLY know about the candidates?

How many of us actually read candidate literature on their positions instead of swallowing what is spoonfed to us by the national media?

And even if we HAVE read a candidate's literature, how can we be sure that it accurately reflects what they will do once they get into office and is not just written to get us to vote for them? (Especially since very few us actually MEET the candidates in person!)

There is only one thing I am sure of: they are ALL (all honorable men -- Mark Antony's speech from Julius Caesar ;)) completely out of touch with what it is like to live the life of the common man trying to make ends meet on less than $40,000/year.