Portugese Stick Fighting Video Clip!

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting clip. Do you know if this is based on Portugese sword work or is it anctually a stick art unto it's own? I ask because the way they "draw" their sticks at the beginning of the match looks like a simulation of drawing a sword.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting. :) I have a question... For the most part it appeared to me they were attacking each other's sticks. Is this what they were doing? If so, why?

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guy's I cannot help you with those questions as I just do not have the answers as to why this art does things.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey guy's I cannot help you with those questions as I just do not have the answers as to why this art does things.

Thanks Brian, I was just throwing it out to whomever reads and may have an answer. Thanks for posting though! I certainly wouldn't want to get hit by one of those sticks. It would have to hurt!

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Interesting. When I saw the clip it reminded me of backswording.

hrlmonkey

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
is it possible they attack the stick, to destroy it. therefore, depriving the opponent of a weapon?

or as is more probable, they attack each others weapon as a safety aspect.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pretty cool either way! It's amazing how similar yet different the stick arts of various nations are.

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. :) I have a question... For the most part it appeared to me they were attacking each other's sticks. Is this what they were doing? If so, why?

It's a safety thing, just imagine geting hit in the head with one of those sticks. However it doesn't happen it this next clip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I like that last clip. Nice to see the overrunning used at speed (the head hit versus the blow to the legs). :)

Best regards,

-Mark

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's a safety thing, just imagine geting hit in the head with one of those sticks. However it doesn't happen it this next clip.

First, that clip was awesome!
icon14.gif
I really liked that one! Most of the time they were targeting each other and not each other's weapons and they were for the most part moving tactically! That was a good video!

Thanks for the info. I understand what you said about the first clip, but the thing that would concern me, if I were training in that, is teaching myself the incorrect targeting by targeting the sticks. From my own experience in my art, I can say that targeting a weapon vs targeting the opponent give two very distinct feelings. One feels like playing and the other feels dangerous, for a lack of better words.

Again, thanks for the second video, that rocked!

Last edited by a moderator:

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I understand what you said about the first clip, but the thing that would concern me, if I were training in that, is teaching myself the incorrect targeting by targeting the sticks. From my own experience in my art, I can say that targeting a weapon vs targeting the opponent give two very distinct feelings. One feels like playing and the other feels dangerous, for a lack of better words.

Stick or Staff Game would be a literal translation to English.

For more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogo_do_Pau

Ken Pfrenger

Green Belt
Reaction score
Our group here in Ohio has been doing JdP for over a year now in the style shown on this site:
http://www.jogodopauacores.com/index_EN.aspx
A little different than the two clips posted before...our actual instruction time in the art was fairly short so we end up working on what little we have. We will be trying to have our instructor come in some time this summer for some more much needed info.

Nemesis

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Believe me, I've done Jogo do Pau. Once you get the "game" going you really don't need more danger, it get's very fast and the staff (or vara if you want to say it in portuguese) hits very hard. Just one miscalculation and it's a trip to the hospital. Don't forget that the staff carries so much weight that if for some reason the other guy isn't able to block or dodge your strike it will be very hard for you to pull it back so you won't hit him.

But it's a lot of fun thought!

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Our group here in Ohio has been doing JdP for over a year now in the style shown on this site:
http://www.jogodopauacores.com/index_EN.aspx
A little different than the two clips posted before...our actual instruction time in the art was fairly short so we end up working on what little we have. We will be trying to have our instructor come in some time this summer for some more much needed info.

Nice thanks for sharing!
icon6.gif

Latest Discussions