Portrait Photography Question - Which is Most! Important to you?

What is most important when getting family photo done?

• Price

• Speed of Delivery

• Quality of Prints

• Cleanliness of Studio

• Good Customer Service

• Ability of Studio to take my pictures when I want them, and on time.

• Good background and prop selection

• Skill of Photographer (both with camera and people)

• Other - Please elaborate

• I don't go to a studio, I do them myself.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm doing a little non scientific poll here, hope folks will help me out. Also, if you've had good or bad experiences at a studio, that would help too.

When taking your family to get pictures done, what is the most important thing you look for at the studio? Do you shop on price or special offers? Is the quality of the studios work the main factor? How about customer service? Speed of getting your prints? IE Ready in an hour or come back in a week or 2? Cleanliness of the studio?

Thank you!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It's been years since I had pictures taken in a studio, except for a specialty shot that had the Old West dress-up items - but that was for a specific event, and I had nothing to do with it except showing up.

I chose "Skill of photographer", because without that, I don't think the rest matters... although the courtesy and professionalism of the staff in general comes in a close second, because if someone treats me rudely, I am likely to walk out.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm of the been a very long time group as well. Digital photography killed study visits for most people I know.

The only times I've been photographed by a professional have been at events, not in study. Weddings, Graduations, etc.

My mom and siblings did a present for my Grandma a few years back, brought out a professional and took shots of the whole family. But again, it was not in a studio, but in there yard :)

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
1. Quality and professionalism would be the first thing I look for. I include cleanliness and what to me (as a non-photog) looks like a quality image in that.

I also include...certain things in a photo studio that may not bother me but my family members would not be OK with.

Stuff like....the lobby to have pictures that wouldn't raise the concern of my sister if I went their with my niece...or having employees that behave professionally whenever they are on premesis during business hours. If my mom comes in and sees Mr. Nice Guy at the front counter but hears a bunch of slackers in the back playing obnoxious music, lounging about laughing at whatever and not minding their language.

I wouldn't care if it was the fanciest shiniest place in the world....I'd be more concerned with everyone in my family being comfortable.

Photography is intimate in its own way. It involves a total stranger staring at your face and body and your family's face and body. A photog may even touch you gently (as in, position your arms like 'this') so it would be very important to me to make sure that both me and my family were absolutely comfortable about everything in the studio.

2. Location is next. Can I get there without killing half a day.

The other things....customer service kinda goes in with professionalism. I don't expect to have my butt kissed but I do expect to be treated politely and professionally.

Time to get the prints....I don't even know what time I'd be looking for, as long as it wasn't an unusually long wait. Prints in an hour stuff I'm not too concerned about because I have a digital camera and my friends have cameras on their cell phones. Never mind prints in an hour we can have a snapshot in someone else's hands in less than a minute.

Price is kind of the least of my worries. I don't expect the prices to be outrageous but I personally don't dollar-shop and would even pay a bit over what the market will bear for a place thats more convenient or has the professionalism that I'd require for my family.

LawDog

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have had some good experiences when using professional level photographers. Some will, after taking those once in a life time photographs, rake you across the coals.

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I voted other only because the poll doesn't allow me to pick more then one.

I can't pick just one because it is the combination of most, if not all, of the above. I am a customer and as such I will shop around until I find something that in my mind gives me all of the above. I want to walk away with quality, be treated as an important customer and somehow feel I am getting a good deal for my money. I work hard for it and I won't be handing it over to someone who hasn't earned my trust and respect.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Every year some Sears-type place sends us a cheap deal coupon and it reminds us we should get professional pics done of the kids. That's pretty much it. Apart from that, every outfit we've been too--a wide variety of dept. store and mall studios--has been pretty much interchangeable. We've never had any reason to develop loyalty; if we could tell the difference between good and very good pictures, would we use a place at the mall? It's the coupons for us--and as much as anything because they serve as a reminder (we know they don't represent an esp. good deal).

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I used to do professional photography myself... hope to get back into it real soon here.
I always relied on my skill with the camera and with people. But I usually try to give the highest quality pictures (informal portrait shooting ...i.e. outdoors rather than in a studio setting) that I can.
Speed also counts and my prices varied upon the individual rather the other way around. I know that not everyone can afford what the last guy paid or some can afford twice what the last guy paid... so it varied. Was that fair? Seems so to me with my customer base.

But I voted for the most voted for selection. Skill with camera and people. If people like you and like the work you do then they'll come back. Nuff said.

OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
reopened poll. Realized I'd set the timeout too low. :( sorry.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I said skill...He'll have samples and I'll want to see them...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
For myself it is all about the quality of the prints. Of course that is the final work so it is the most important. However I have found in general that if the quality of the prints are good then almost every thing else is generally pretty good as well.
icon14.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skill and personality is my choices, but skill is the main one with a complete bio of the photographers work

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If it where strictly the studio then many families would not have their children’s portraits taken at wallmart, etc.
Price limits many who want portraits.
A great background can make or break a shot but most customers do not think about that ahead of time.
The person taking the shots can also make the final outcome of the shoot better if he can relax those in the shot and they have confidence in him/her (can't tell you how many times I had a stuffed donkey on my head to get kids to smile)
All of those you listed have a bearing on when and if many get portraits taken and it is hard to pick just one aspect because usually it is a combination of many but PRICE and discounts bring in many people while HIGH PRICE will bring in select client’s

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm a visual cretin. i really don't notice or care about many of the more detailed aspects of photography, painting, fashion....

all the pro photographs i've ever taken were because i felt like spending money in a friend's shop.

so i guess the short answer for me is: professional reputation or personal relationship.

Obliquity

Green Belt
Reaction score
Can't choose just one. :)

And my answer is . . . it depends . . . on what your priorities are.

I obtained a photography degree and worked full or part-time for several years doing wedding, family, and indvidual portraits. I have to say that the photographer should be skilled with their equipment and with people, and they must put out a quality product.

If what you are looking for is a record of your family at a particular point in time, it isn't necessary to spend wads o' dough. OTOH, if your are looking for a once-in-a-lifetime family portrait that will take a prominent place in your home, then you must make the $$ commitment for a top notch professional product.

I charged higher prices for my work because I used the finest equipment and the best labs and materials for my product. Some who inquired were put-off by my prices, but that was okay. They could always go to Sears or Penneys -- and that is not intended as a slam.

I'm not thinking as clearly today as I would like, so this may sound a bit choppy, but I think my point is that you have to be happy with the product, and that depends on what you want in the end. For a growing family where you intend to make a record, on a yearly basis or so, find someone who has a friendly personality and who delivers adequate quality work.

For milestone events -- spend a little more and get something very much worth displaying for a lifetime.

In either case, if the photographer is a jerk, your family will have a lousy time and is will show. But if you have a great time, even if the quality is moderate, that will also show, and you will have fond memories of the time spent having it done.