Point fighting

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
With us, everything is one point for strikes whether it is continuous or 5 point match.

No points for catches or sweeps. Throws aren't allowed.

If opponent Goes to the ground you have 3 seconds to score using strikes.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the rules, my favourite was:

-it was continuous point sparring, meaning that although points counted, you don't stop after you get a point, you keep going for the entire two minute round. There is a total of three two minute rounds, and points are only tallied AFTER the third round, meaning it's not best out of three.

-1 Point for a solid strong punch or kick to the head
-2 points for a solid strong punch or kick to the body
-3 points for a sweep or clean throw or leg catch where you control the opponent for more than 3 seconds

As you can see although it was "point sparring", you had to land a solid shot to get a point, plus you weren't separated every two seconds, so plenty of exchanges happened.
I like that scoring system. It maintains enough realism, gets rid of the separation after a point, and looks for the overall "win", rather than by round.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
With us, everything is one point for strikes whether it is continuous or 5 point match.

No points for catches or sweeps. Throws aren't allowed.

If opponent Goes to the ground you have 3 seconds to score using strikes.
I understand why some schools don't allow students to catch kicks, but I wish they would get rid of that fear especially with students who display good control of not taking advantage of the standing leg. There's nothing as clear as having some catching your kick, and all you can do is think about what got you in that situation.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I understand why some schools don't allow students to catch kicks, but I wish they would get rid of that fear especially with students who display good control of not taking advantage of the standing leg. There's nothing as clear as having some catching your kick, and all you can do is think about what got you in that situation.

You are allowed to catch the kick...you just don't get points for it. You can land strikes for points while holding the leg for 3 seconds then you have to break.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There's nothing as clear as having some catching your kick, and all you can do is think about what got you in that situation.

Or wheel kicking them upside the head with the base leg. Use to score with that all the time.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or wheel kicking them upside the head with the base leg. Use to score with that all the time.
Very true. That will teach not to hold on the leg too long as if it's a permanent advantage.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or at least not to stand still and hold your opponent up so he can set up that kick.
I have a video where a student tried to kick the other student that was holding his leg. So the guy just go of his leg at the beginning of the kick and he hit the floor really hard lol.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
About a month ago at a tournament a friend of ours threw a side kick in which his opponent caught. When our friend pulled the kicking leg back.....pop....ruptured his opponents bicep tendon.

4-6 month recovery.

To add insult to injury....the opponent was planning on testing for black belt during this summers black belt test.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
About a month ago at a tournament a friend of ours threw a side kick in which his opponent caught. When our friend pulled the kicking leg back.....pop....ruptured his opponents bicep tendon.

4-6 month recovery.

To add insult to injury....the opponent was planning on testing for black belt during this summers black belt test.
that dude must have some serious glutes.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a fan of catching the kicking leg, but there's some serious risks - ligament and meniscus damage to the supporting leg, the possibility of the kicker landing on the back of his/her head onto usually hard floors, etc. I wouldn't allow it without mats.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of Parrying the kick and counter attacking at an optimal angle.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

4-6 month recovery.

A guy I trained with (in NGA) tried one of our kick defenses on one of his Shotokan training partners (he has dan ranking in both). This particular defense is not intended for a skilled kicker, more for the brute doing a stomp-kick. It traps the leg upward in the crook of the arm. He also injured his bicep when the guy pulled his leg back.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
A guy I trained with (in NGA) tried one of our kick defenses on one of his Shotokan training partners (he has dan ranking in both). This particular defense is not intended for a skilled kicker, more for the brute doing a stomp-kick. It traps the leg upward in the crook of the arm. He also injured his bicep when the guy pulled his leg back.

Sounds like what happened here. Our Sensei stresses good chamber, kick comes straight out and then straight back.

Just way too much power pulling back to try and hold onto.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of Parrying the kick and counter attacking at an optimal angle.

Depends on the kick and the kicker. I find myself parrying and going in at an angle against front kicks, using a whole arm block (don't know what to call it) and then catching a roundhouse, and palm-heel blocking a side kick downward while angling. Not always, but in general.

It all depends on the kick and the kicker.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or at least not to stand still and hold your opponent up so he can set up that kick.

I have a video where a student tried to kick the other student that was holding his leg. So the guy just go of his leg at the beginning of the kick and he hit the floor really hard lol.

I'm a fan of catching the kicking leg, but there's some serious risks - ligament and meniscus damage to the supporting leg, the possibility of the kicker landing on the back of his/her head onto usually hard floors, etc. I wouldn't allow it without mats.

There's a really great way (and really safe) to train that kick if anyone is interested.
And not just for advanced kickers. While you have to be experienced in spin kicking to actually use it, you don't have to be in order to understand it. And Jow is right, letting the kicking leg go as they start to spin is the way to counter it. (oh, man, is it ever.)

I've never had anyone hurt training that kick, with or without mats. Nor hurt in competition.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a really great way (and really safe) to train that kick if anyone is interested.
And not just for advanced kickers. While you have to be experienced in spin kicking to actually use it, you don't have to be in order to understand it. And Jow is right, letting the kicking leg go as they start to spin is the way to counter it. (oh, man, is it ever.)

I've never had anyone hurt training that kick, with or without mats. Nor hurt in competition.
I would be interested in that. We have no spin kicks, so I won't be able to use it (by your notation), but I'd be interested in it, nonetheless.

Martial_Kumite

Green Belt
Reaction score
find myself parrying and going in at an angle against front kicks, using a whole arm block (don't know what to call it) and then catching a roundhouse, and palm-heel blocking a side kick downward while angling. Not always, but in general.
I find myself using a side kick preparation to block lower kicks (like to my soler plexus or ribs). I find that I can block, and them I am set up fro 2-3 different kicks to counter with while my opponent is still on 1 leg from his kick. Realy fun surprising people with that. :D

Latest Discussions