Pocket Stick usefullness and tactics

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I haven't done the experiment yet. However, I predict that the outcome would be...both made an impact, but the impact from the kubotan would be smaller, more focused, and much deeper

I 've carried a Kubotan for years when my MA skills were in their infancy stage..As a bouncer I put a "hurtin" on a couple of bruisers striking with the end of the Kubotan into a "pec"..Then as well as now I perfer to use it as a control device...

John J

Green Belt
Reaction score
The pocket stick by whatever name (kubotan, yawara or dulo-dulo) is a viable tool for self-defense as well as a training tool for general knife mechanics. You can strike, butt, thrust, shear, rake, control & lock. However, locks and controls will fail if you cannot tune your opponent especially one that is much bigger/stronger or drugged out. I have yet to see a realistic demo where the practitioner can use it w/o implementing strikes. Mind you, realistic means plenty of energy, aggression and/or resistance.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I carry a kubotan every day. It is my key chain.

Yep, me too...The Kubotan is on one set that I carry on duty and the ProTek key is on my car keys..So I never have to fumble around if I need one....

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, I walked across the ceiling tile and....claaaack claaack claaaaack...I was making a tremendous amount of racket doing it. My high heels (OK, they were more like 'medium-heels'" were puncturing the tile. Every step I made showed the print of my heel.What do you think?

I think I love the sound of a woman waking in heels....This post has NO revelance to this thread...It was just something that popped into my head..

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've heard of these. How do you like it? Obviously, you think it can be effective, I gather.

I love mine..No more difficult to use as a Kubotan, easier to grip as a matter of fact...and because they look like a large locker key you can carry them aboard an aircraft...

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep, me too...The Kubotan is on one set that I carry on duty and the ProTek key is on my car keys..So I never have to fumble around if I need one....

Mine is always in my pocket with my keys out, so I can grab it quickly. When I am walking it is almost always in my hand. Right underneath the kubotan is my CRKT EDC clipped in my pocket.

However, on another note, I can't say either would be the first thing I grab. Chances are it wouldn't be, I would use them if they were in my hand already, I am sure, either way I would just do whatever as the situation unfolds, I don't have any pre-conceived notions of what I will do. Although it is fun to fantasize about "What if's", however, too much will make you go blind! :uhyeah: Blind to what actually unfolds and the possible ineffectiveness of the pre-recorded reaction. Reality has a way of changing the situation.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I am walking it is almost always in my hand

Same here...

Bigshadow said:
]However, on another note, I can't say either would be the first thing I grab. Chances are it wouldn't be, I would use them if they were in my hand already, I am sure, either way I would just do whatever as the situation unfolds

Ditto..

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Same here...

Ditto..

As with me. I've carried one for years.

IMO, in the hands of a trained MA they can be real effective.

A rake across the metacarpals will break just about anyones grip on you. The poking and thrusting may not kill but hurts like hell. I also would not discount it as a flail when grabbed by the main keyring and swinging the kubaton and keys to any part of the face and eyes of an attacker.

It won't drop him with out a real lucky on in a million shot to the temple but will stun, distract and may give a smaller weaker opponent a chance to escape.

I gave them as stocking stuffers to all of my female friends and family. It is better than nothing while in a dark parking
lot going to your car. Of course its always better to not be there.
-Marc-

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I gave them as stocking stuffers to all of my female friends and family. It is better than nothing while in a dark parking
lot going to your car. Of course its always better to not be there.
-Marc-

What an excellent idea...

Latest Discussions