Please put your hand back

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It legitimately is a tiny percentage of assaults that result in a conviction.
Conviction is totally different then police investigation. Your claim was the police wouldn't do anything. Conviction rates have little to do with the police.

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
here the police wouldn't bother with an investigation - they do formal questioning cos they have to but nothing beyond that and i love this system for it :)

i just saw on yahoo news that a dad came back from work to fing some bloke raping his kid so he knocked the stuffing out of him and the florida police chief just said "yeah well wouldn't you ?" and that no charges were ever going to brought against the kids dad :)

you just gotta love common sense :)

3 cheers for common sense :)

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't think anone has implied that not wanting to shake hands makes anyone an ***. It's HOW you decline that determines the size of the asshat being worn.

Agreed!

To the OP, the main problem with your request is how it would be perceived by the person who's offered the handshake.

Most people would interpret your request to put their hand back as "This guy won't shake MY hand! Who the hell does he think he is?" etc. rather than "Oh, this guy doesn't do handshakes".

It's generally accepted in western society that refusing a handshake is a sign of disrespect or dislike of the individual offering it, unless some kind of explanation is given.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@PhotonGuy

How do you actually tell someone you don't want to shake their hand?

And\or, has the comments so far changed your approach or thinking on it?

donnaTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
think that he may have been "dropped" for showing a complete lack of respect and bad manners ;)

the one thing that i sometimes do depending on the situation is give my friends a shoulder tap and then if there's someone new there i just give them a curt nod of the head to acknowledge their presence --- it works and as and when business is concluded without any dramas then i shoulder tap them too :)

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Instead of saying, "please put your hand back," when somebody puts their hand out I could say, "I don't shake hands."

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's me too sometimes... And to top it distracted easily making slow learner somewhat worse

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
think that he may have been "dropped" for showing a complete lack of respect and bad manners ;)
I wouldn't let them "drop" me. I am more than capable of taking care of myself.

Badger1777

Green Belt
Reaction score
Depending on the situation, refusing to shake hands can be seen as quite insulting. Different areas of the world has different social codes. It is usually a good idea to adhere to local customs wherever you go.

On rare occasions, I have actually refused to shake someone's hand. It has always been because I hold them in contempt for some reason, and I want them to know that without my actually saying it, so instead I will make a point of looking at their hand for long enough for them to see without doubt that I've noticed, and then look them in the eye and wait to see what they say or do next.

Of course there are times when it is not practical or wise to shake hands, such as if one of us has filthy hands, in which case the filthy one will usually say "I wont shake your hand because I'm all oily/whatever", then humourously show them the filthy hand :)

Someone mentioned risk of attack. I wouldn't see shaking hands as a threat in that situation, because in shaking hands, you already have hold of one of their hands should they decide to try anything, and if you suspect an imminent attack anyway, but are still clinging to the hope of diffusing the situation peacefully, you can shake while discretely being in a good stance just in case.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
That sounds a little extreme, I wouldn't want to have someone knock on my door late at night yet that shot could kill them. There's a chance they don't want any trouble, maybe they need help want help or to inform of something. They could be a threat but they will most likely not knock.

I wouldn't shoot somebody who rings my doorbell but in some places that can happen, particularly places that have the castle doctrine. That's why its not a good idea to show up at people's doorsteps when the sun is down.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't shoot somebody who rings my doorbell but in some places that can happen, particularly places that have the castle doctrine. That's why its not a good idea to show up at people's doorsteps when the sun is down.

No. If someone, even in a state that either follows or has codified the Castle Doctrine, you cannot shoot someone merely for ringing your doorbell. If you think that's even close to what the Castle Doctrine means... stop. Now. Unload any guns you have nearby, and get far away from them until you are properly educated.

Or... put an attorney on retainer now. And start hiding your assets, yesterday. 'Cause even if you somehow evade criminal conviction, the civil attorneys will eat you alive.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wouldn't shoot somebody for ringing my doorbell but in some places you can be shot if you show up at somebody's door at the wrong time, such as during night. This can particularly happen at bad neighborhoods. They might go to jail but its not going to bring you back so I just think its a good idea to not ring somebody's doorbell when the sun is down so its something I don't do. Aside from that its just polite. Even if I know Im not going to get shot, out of plain courtesy I will not ring somebody's doorbell if the sun is down, unless its an absolute emergency.

Latest Discussions