Please put your hand back

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
So lets say somebody shows up at my door when I didn't invite them and I don't want to see them and they put their hand out to shake hands. In that case, if I don't want to see them and I certainly don't want to shake hands I should tell them, "please put your hand back," and "please don't come at a time like this." It is not a good idea to show up at somebody's door uninvited and its common sense to not show up at certain times, such as when the sun is down. In some places, it is altogether smart to not show up at anybody's door uninvited because in some places you can be shot if you do that. I wouldn't shoot somebody for showing up at my door uninvited but from now on, if somebody does and I don't want to see them I will tell them to please leave and I will tell them to please put their hand back if they put their hand out because I've got rights and Im exercising those rights and if somebody does show up and I don't want to see them I certainly don't want to shake hands.
Don't answer the door.....:rolleyes:

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That's not a hand shake.

This is a bloody hand shake.

[video=youtube_share;ywcrcIpNiGU]http://youtu.be/ywcrcIpNiGU[/video]

Yes, but these guys are obviously Druids. This is the secret handshake and someone will be in deep doo doo for publicising it. :p

Think of it this way, when you spar are you breaking the law as soon as you make contact?

To be honest I'm not sure when a mutual fight becomes criminal. By any law..

Mutual fight is just that, mutual. Legally it is 'consensual'. A 'mutual' fight is the same as sparring in that if someone is hurt they can still sue for damages in a civil court but there is no criminal liability. It becomes criminal when one person is in the fight against his will. That is he is attacked and has no means of escape or there is other just cause to stand his ground.

Yeah I agree, I don't think getting into a fight is breaking the law either until it gets to the level of reckless endangerment, grievous bodily harm etc..

Getting into a fight can invoke other laws such as disturbing the peace.

So lets say somebody shows up at my door when I didn't invite them and I don't want to see them and they put their hand out to shake hands. In that case, if I don't want to see them and I certainly don't want to shake hands I should tell them, "please put your hand back," and "please don't come at a time like this." It is not a good idea to show up at somebody's door uninvited and its common sense to not show up at certain times, such as when the sun is down. In some places, it is altogether smart to not show up at anybody's door uninvited because in some places you can be shot if you do that. I wouldn't shoot somebody for showing up at my door uninvited but from now on, if somebody does and I don't want to see them I will tell them to please leave and I will tell them to please put their hand back if they put their hand out because I've got rights and Im exercising those rights and if somebody does show up and I don't want to see them I certainly don't want to shake hands.
I would have thought that you would not be expected to shake hands with an unwelcome visitor. I wouldn't say anything, possibly step back. But if it was a friend or relative offering their hand and you said that I would say that to not respond is just plain rude. I think you have a strange idea of 'rights'.
:asian:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just say, "Nice to meet you, but I would thank you to keep your nasty MRSA mitts away from me at all times! :cool:

THAT is why I don't shake. I'm not worried about sneak attacks or worried about touching another person or any of that junk but I've had MRSA on my face once I thought I was going to die. I still have a scar on my face. I don't shake because I don't like germs. I simply say "sorry but I don't shake hands it's a by product of my job" and most people understand.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So refusing a handshake is being an ***?

No I think the being an *** part would be simply saying "please put your hand back" with no further explanation. Knowing your going against courtesy you need to give a short explanation. Sorry sir I have a phobia about touching people, or sorry I'm on the spectrum and physical contact freaks me out or like was already said sorry I'm sick and don't want to spread it to you. Something like that just saying no is against the norm and can be viewed as rude. Like I said I never shake a work but there are times out of work you just bite the bullet and shake.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
There is a public order thing affray or something. You get a fine. But that is if the police had to break it up.

Photon guy wandering into a police station complaining he got punched in the head because of his issues with hand shaking wouldn't get much support.
Keep telling yourself that. A tourist walks into a police department and reports an assault the police will take notice especially if they want more tourism dollars to keep flowing.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
And if he is not a tourist, they tell him to suck it up? :)

No but the comment was if photonguy was there he would be a tourist. I seriously doubt they would just laugh off a local either but I know they wouldn't a tourist. Tourism dollars are very important

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
No but the comment was if photonguy was there he would be a tourist. I seriously doubt they would just laugh off a local either but I know they wouldn't a tourist. Tourism dollars are very important
I know a couple people who were laughed off, and, now, they don't like the police, but at least one of those people probably had it coming; so, it is a tough call.
Sean

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I know a couple people who were laughed off, and, now, they don't like the police, but at least one of those people probably had it coming; so, it is a tough call.
Sean

Then they should have told their boss. I may laugh at you in private but no call is so petty it's worth getting myself in trouble i value my vacation days and would prefer not to loose then because i didn't do my job

Hong Kong Pooey

Blue Belt
Reaction score
What Im saying is that people shouldn't have to shake hands if they don't want to. If you want to shake hands with somebody who also wants to, than go ahead and do so but somebody shouldn't be required to shake hands with you if they don't want to. So, if somebody puts their hand out to shake hands and you don't want to shake hands you should be able to tell them to please put their hand back.

Personally if I offered to shake hands with somebody and that was their response I'd either mark them down as a douche and move on, or depending on the circumstances I might ask them who they think they are to tell me what to do with my own hand.

There's already been lots of good suggestions on a more polite response if you don't want to accept a shake when it's offered, but thought I'd just mention that some guys who rely on their hands for a living don't shake hands, like surgeons and concert pianists.

Maybe you could train to be one of those? Problem solved, everybody's happy.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Keep telling yourself that. A tourist walks into a police department and reports an assault the police will take notice especially if they want more tourism dollars to keep flowing.
Unfortunately such action would also generate a lot of paperwork. The police would probably ask first if you wanted to have charges laid. If the answer is yes, then the paper trail begins. If it was later shown that your actions precipitated the assault it could get interesting in the magistrates court. :)

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Unfortunately such action would also generate a lot of paperwork. The police would probably ask first if you wanted to have charges laid. If the answer is yes, then the paper trail begins. If it was later shown that your actions precipitated the assault it could get interesting in the magistrates court. :)

Yes if the victim wanted further police action but the claims made where you can just knock someone out in Australia and if the victim reported it the police would laugh and do nothing.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Personally if I offered to shake hands with somebody and that was their response I'd either mark them down as a douche and move on, or depending on the circumstances I might ask them who they think they are to tell me what to do with my own hand.

There's already been lots of good suggestions on a more polite response if you don't want to accept a shake when it's offered, but thought I'd just mention that some guys who rely on their hands for a living don't shake hands, like surgeons and concert pianists.

Maybe you could train to be one of those? Problem solved, everybody's happy.

Agreed, problem solved just tell them it's nothing personal just don't like shaking hands. Or have germ X

Everyone is deserves to have there own opinion if you don't like shaking hands nobody should judge or call you an *** but in defense it would be polite to say a small reason to why

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes if the victim wanted further police action but the claims made where you can just knock someone out in Australia and if the victim reported it the police would laugh and do nothing.
I'm afraid I can't see that happening in most places. Even a pub brawl in the outback, which would otherwise be inconsequential if unreported, would result in at least some degree of investigation if reported to police.

In Australia if a crime is reported, and even the perpetrator arrested, a brief is prepared and submitted to a senior officer who must decide if he believes there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction. If not, charges are dropped, often to the consternation and anger of the victim. That way many hours of police time are not wasted preparing cases that will never get a conviction.

If someone was knocked out and maybe injured, I believe there would be no police 'doing nothing'.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, problem solved just tell them it's nothing personal just don't like shaking hands. Or have germ X

Everyone is deserves to have there own opinion if you don't like shaking hands nobody should judge or call you an *** but in defense it would be polite to say a small reason to why

I don't think anone has implied that not wanting to shake hands makes anyone an ***. It's HOW you decline that determines the size of the asshat being worn.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yeah there is an investigation every time a tourist gets smacked in the mouth.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm afraid I can't see that happening in most places. Even a pub brawl in the outback, which would otherwise be inconsequential if unreported, would result in at least some degree of investigation if reported to police.

In Australia if a crime is reported, and even the perpetrator arrested, a brief is prepared and submitted to a senior officer who must decide if he believes there is sufficient evidence to secure a conviction. If not, charges are dropped, often to the consternation and anger of the victim. That way many hours of police time are not wasted preparing cases that will never get a conviction.

If someone was knocked out and maybe injured, I believe there would be no police 'doing nothing'.

It legitimately is a tiny percentage of assaults that result in a conviction.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

That's basically how it works here too. For example a simple assault. Normally if it's a bar fight between two people nobody's really hurt other then bloody lip or black eye or whatever we exchange information giving eachother the other persons info and tell them they have a year +1 day to seek criminal charges on eachother of they want. We would then do a report and that's it. We can't arrest for a simple assault (we call it 2nd degree assault) if we didn't witness it ourselves. If somebody reports it and I decide I need to charge the suspect I'll do an application for charges and take it to a Court Commissioner. They will review and determine if I have enough information to charge the suspect and if so they will issue a warrant and the suspect can then be arrested.
Then before it comes to court all cases are reviewed by the States Attorney who decides what goes to trial and what doesn't. They have the final say on all cases. The head states Attorney is the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county. Much like the Attorney General is the highest law enforcement officer for the federal Govt. Back to the bar fight example. If both guys took out charges on each other. The states attorney would call them both in prior to trial and they would both claim their 5th Amendment rights not to incriminate then self so unless there was another witness the case gets dropped because there is no evidence.

Latest Discussions