Please help

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Tom. I've been doing kickboxing and karate for about 2 years now, and boxing for 6 months. I have had to halt most kickboxing and karate due to moving 8 months ago. So I no longer have a dojo to train at or training partners. I took up boxing at the local gym, and while I enjoy it, its not the same for me. I have currently 1 training partner, but know 4 or 5 people from the boxing gym I go to that would like to train. But unfortunately I don't have enough supplies, such as pads, shin guards, gloves, headgear, etc. And all those items are quite expensive. Without going into detail the things I would need are far beyond my price range. I don't expect to get much but if anything, but if theres anybody out there that could donate old gear they have, no matter what it is, it would be much appreciated. Even if its broken, I would be willing to repair it for use. Any little bit helps, and sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Why do you need shin guards for boxing?
I don't need them for boxing, I need them so the friends I have at boxing can come by my place, and do some kickboxing. I need the shin guards for sparring and other drills.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where do you live, because many of us are spread around the world and it would cost a fortune to post things to you.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Wouldn't it make more sense for the people who want to join you to supply/get their own equipment? Why is it on you to get it for them?
I live in a small country town. There is only about 14000 people maybe less here last I read, and things can be pretty tight money wise. A lot of these guys are under 18 so they rely on their parents, and like I said things can be tight. And also in case someone else wants to come by and train, I have spare equipment for them to use. Like I said I'm not asking for anything brand new worth 100+$ I only ask if people have no use for some of the things I need, weather they deem them too old, or they bought more updated equipment, or hell even if its broken, to send them to me, rather then throw them away or let them waste.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Where do you live, because many of us are spread around the world and it would cost a fortune to post things to you.
That would be a good idea to mention that haha. I'm from a small town in rural NSW Australia. If it would cost anyone too much to send then they don't need to go out of their way. I won't ask someone to do something they aren't in a position to do.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would be a good idea to mention that haha. I'm from a small town in rural NSW Australia. If it would cost anyone too much to send then they don't need to go out of their way. I won't ask someone to do something they aren't in a position to do.

You also have a very stringent policy on what can be sent to Oz, items such as leather and anything padded with organic material are likely to be binned. My son in law is currently preparing to take race horses down under for the Melbourne Cup, the horses have been in quarantine for a couple of weeks now, everything they take with them has to be inspected by the Aussie customs people before it can enter Australia, leather tack for example so that would apply to leather gloves and shin guards as well also the padding in boxing gloves.
Why not contact a company like Fairtex asking if they could sponsor you a bit with kit? Stress the youth aspect, getting kids off the street etc etc, there's quite a few companies who make kit, try the Australian martial arts groups too.

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
You also have a very stringent policy on what can be sent to Oz, items such as leather and anything padded with organic material are likely to be binned. My son in law is currently preparing to take race horses down under for the Melbourne Cup, the horses have been in quarantine for a couple of weeks now, everything they take with them has to be inspected by the Aussie customs people before it can enter Australia, leather tack for example so that would apply to leather gloves and shin guards as well also the padding in boxing gloves.
Why not contact a company like Fairtex asking if they could sponsor you a bit with kit? Stress the youth aspect, getting kids off the street etc etc, there's quite a few companies who make kit, try the Australian martial arts groups too.
There are some good vinyl products too.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
That is very true. We have many precautions on what can and can't be sent here. I've not heard of equipment being denied access, but it really wouldn't surprise me. We have a very strict detainment period for animals, which sucks for people like your son in law, or people who just want to move here and take their pets. Do you really think a big company would sponsor me some gear? It'd be amazing if they would. To be honest I wouldn't know where to even start. But I will look into that thank you.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That is very true. We have many precautions on what can and can't be sent here. I've not heard of equipment being denied access, but it really wouldn't surprise me. We have a very strict detainment period for animals, which sucks for people like your son in law, or people who just want to move here and take their pets. Do you really think a big company would sponsor me some gear? It'd be amazing if they would. To be honest I wouldn't know where to even start. But I will look into that thank you.

The Australian Olympic Eventing Team from Rio still has their horses in the UK in quarantine, they're in the same place as the racehorses bound for Australia. :)
Companies will often give prizes for raffles etc so it's always worth asking if they have anything you can use to train young people. Perhaps get an article in your local newspaper as well asking for spare kit or if any company can help. Look at the big city gyms and see if they will help too with old kit, they often like to be seen helping out, looks good to their sponsors and helps with the public perception of martial arts.

There are some good vinyl products too.

Indeed there are, synthetic 'stuffing' too which would be good.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
The Australian Olympic Eventing Team from Rio still has their horses in the UK in quarantine, they're in the same place as the racehorses bound for Australia. :)
Companies will often give prizes for raffles etc so it's always worth asking if they have anything you can use to train young people. Perhaps get an article in your local newspaper as well asking for spare kit or if any company can help. Look at the big city gyms and see if they will help too with old kit, they often like to be seen helping out, looks good to their sponsors and helps with the public perception of martial arts.
Animal quarantine is a pain. Even with all the up to date documents its still at the very very least a 10 day waiting period, and that can depend on the animal.
I suppose it can't hurt to ask. Putting an ad in the newspaper wouldn't do much haha. I live in a rural town, with 1400 or less people. I'll try some of city gyms too then, I hope something works out. Thanks for the help by the way.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, my name is Tom. I've been doing kickboxing and karate for about 2 years now, and boxing for 6 months. I have had to halt most kickboxing and karate due to moving 8 months ago. So I no longer have a dojo to train at or training partners. I took up boxing at the local gym, and while I enjoy it, its not the same for me. I have currently 1 training partner, but know 4 or 5 people from the boxing gym I go to that would like to train. But unfortunately I don't have enough supplies, such as pads, shin guards, gloves, headgear, etc. And all those items are quite expensive. Without going into detail the things I would need are far beyond my price range. I don't expect to get much but if anything, but if theres anybody out there that could donate old gear they have, no matter what it is, it would be much appreciated. Even if its broken, I would be willing to repair it for use. Any little bit helps, and sorry if I posted this on the wrong forum.
Check on getting a wholesale account with one of the martial arts suppliers. The wholesale price is often MUCH lower than retail, and you can simply "sell" them to yourself at cost (and pay whatever the appropriate VAT/sales tax is in your area).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rather than an ad, get a reporter to write an article on how you are looking for kit, what you are aiming to do etc, local news is always very welcome in the small newspapers ( I live in a rural area too) and this is the publicity you can get for the companies etc who could help you.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Rather than an ad, get a reporter to write an article on how you are looking for kit, what you are aiming to do etc, local news is always very welcome in the small newspapers ( I live in a rural area too) and this is the publicity you can get for the companies etc who could help you.
Thank you, I will do my best to look into that and try it out.

OP
DrSmeegs

DrSmeegs

White Belt
Reaction score
Check on getting a wholesale account with one of the martial arts suppliers. The wholesale price is often MUCH lower than retail, and you can simply "sell" them to yourself at cost (and pay whatever the appropriate VAT/sales tax is in your area).
Cheers, I'll be sure to give it a go.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The essencial, you already have: partners with gloves. (Up to your skills.)

Focus pads? Punch (kick) gloves that is quite the "same". Headgear? Forget it. Shin guards? Give it to the least skilled... Do what you can with what you have. If that group last long enough, you (the group) have time to buy more material (that can be cheap...).

I know sport combat clubs are full of equipment, but I think it is mostly for style and show off. With people and skill you already have more than me. ;)

People give you feedback about your strikes. Death material do not... (Don't kill each other. With moderation it is just a free massage.)

Last edited:

Latest Discussions