Please help me with my essay

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys. As part of my first wing chun assessment I will have to write an essay on chung seen. Thus far I know that this is the vertical centrline running through the body, that many of the most vulnerable targets on the body are on it . . . and that's about it.
Any input in terms of what would be good areas to research, or insight into the importance of chung seen from a wing chun perspective would be greatly appreciated. I won't be taking the assessment for a couple of months yet so I have a lot of time to read up but don't really know where to start.
Thanks
Reeksta

Last edited:

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hi guys. As part of my first wing chun assessment I will have to write an essay on chung seen. Thus far I know that this is the vertical centrline running vertically through the body, that many of the most vulnerable targets on the body are on it . . . and that's about it.
Any input in terms of what would be good areas to research, or insight into the importance of chung seen from a wing chun perspective would be greatly appreciated. I won't be taking the assessment for a couple of months yet so I have a lot of time to read up but don't really know where to start.
Thanks
Reeksta
I learned the term as:
Jung sin; centerline or centerline plane
Have you not learned the lines or is this a research your instructor is requiring you to do on your own?

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I learned the term as:
Jung sin; centerline or centerline plane
Have you not learned the lines or is this a research your instructor is requiring you to do on your own?
I've learned the basic idea of there being a vertical centreline through the body and a horizontal centreline between two combatants (and I'll hopefully be taught more about this before I'm required to submit the essay) but Sifu wants me to write a proper essay on chung seen - what it is, why it's important and how it's specifically relevant to wing chun.

kung fu fighter

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've learned the basic idea of there being a vertical centreline through the body and a horizontal centreline between two combatants (and I'll hopefully be taught more about this before I'm required to submit the essay) but Sifu wants me to write a proper essay on chung seen - what it is, why it's important and how it's specifically relevant to wing chun.

Chung seen is the center axis of the body. It is important and specificly relevant to wing chun due to the fact that if one gains control of it, he/she can completely control the opponent's ability to defend himself and dominate him by distroying his center of gravity with devastating effects. in fact in my opinion it's is the essence or soul of the system and the entire wing chun system is built upon this idea.

In the internal arts (if your wing chun goes internal) zhong ding is the establishing of "equilibrium". One aspect of equilibrium is your center line.

"Our central equilibrium include the center line - If you have the central equilibrium established, you can feel a column develop between the top of your head and your feet. The central equilibrium strengthens our center line by giving it a lot of strength. A center line without the strength of central equilibrium is vulnerable to our opponent's attack. He/She can throw us off our balance very easily. With good central equilibrium, we can absorb or redirect the incoming force, and retaliate quickly. In short, our defence or attack will be much more efficient if we have strong central equilibrium."

Last edited:

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i dont know anything about wingchun but i could probably give advice for the essay portion. a good essay starts with a good format. this is how i like making essays yours could be different but just a suggestion. i like to make a five part essay, the first part is the introduction. i occasionaly like to start with a rhytorical question.) the introduction is going to state what the essay is about and will also tell what the next three parts are about. the 2nd 3rd and 4th part are three topics about wingchun. and the last one a conclusion. or the finishing touches

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm sure by the time you are ready for 1st assessment, you will have an idea what to write regarding centreline theory. I think it is just to show you have a basic understanding of the principle behind it.

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend picking up a copy of 'simply wing chun' as well, the book covers, and can help with pretty much everything you will be learning for the first few assessments. It's a great art, hope you stick with it.

Hendrik

Green Belt
Reaction score
The center axis ( center line) And the three pathways which travel vertically within the body along with the center axis.

yjkym in SNT develop these

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 143
OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend picking up a copy of 'simply wing chun' as well, the book covers, and can help with pretty much everything you will be learning for the first few assessments. It's a great art, hope you stick with it.
Will do. Thanks for the tip

Treznor

White Belt
Reaction score
In addition to all of the above, attacking the centre line also transfers maximum energy (and therefore power) into the target...

Imagine standing in front of a ball hanging on a rope... If you punch it to either side (ie OFF the centre line), it'll spin away / bobble about...
If you punch it ON the CL, maximum power is transferred into the target.

Finally, if YOU control the centre line, it means your opponent doesn't... which means their attacks have to go around yours which will be slower than your direct / straight attack.

Hope this helps,

Mat

Marnetmar

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like to imagine it as a vertical line that runs down the center of the body and into the ground through the base of the spine.

If you use proper footwork to assist you in striking while stepping into it, it's very easy to put your opponent off balance.

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
This is all gold guys, thanks so much.
Btw Brummie, I picked up a copy of Simply Wing Chun on my lunchbreak today - turns out it's written by my Sifu! Hopefully this means that he will be in agreement with any info I nick from it lol

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
I know it is, that's why I recommended that particular book! I train under the same lineage.

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
If I recall correctly, 1st assessment covers-
Basic stance
Basic punch
Chain punch
Turning punch
Biu ma stepping
Single chi sao
1st section of SLT

OP
Reeksta

Reeksta

Green Belt
Reaction score
I know it is, that's why I recommended that particular book! I train under the same lineage.
I should have guessed from your username. Whereabouts do you train? I'm at Hall Green.
Yes that's exactly what the first assessment entails. I'm pretty much there with everything except the first section of Siu Nim Tau and this essay

Brummie

White Belt
Reaction score
I found that watching ip chun do siu nim tao on youtube, helps learn the positions and sequence correctly when starting to learn it. I train at Halesowen, head instructor is Sifu Alan Bagley, Sifu Delroy Morgan also teaches there and they are both excellent. You probably know Sifu Del from Hall Green?