Please help me to choose a right self defence course

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Lets ask some more questions and find out.
I'm not stopping you from asking any questions you'd like, but I also notice you aren't asking Many questions. If it helps, you have my blessing. Go ahead and ask away.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Krav will produce faster results.

Against gang rape you'd want to know how to grapple though

I agree actually. That being the case, I would recommend Krav over Karate.

But really, 3 months of Krav isn't going to do much. I take it that there's no Bjj or Judo around you? Those would be even better options.

Reactions: sun

dcj0524

White Belt
Reaction score
I agree actually. That being the case, I would recommend Krav over Karate.

But really, 3 months of Krav isn't going to do much. I take it that there's no Bjj or Judo around you? Those would be even better options.
I practice Shaolin Kempo Karate which mixes Karate Kung-fu and jiu-jitsu and we had a sexual assault seminar in our dojo last October. even though I'm male I attended. My instructors said Most of those encounters (gang bangs) start with a surprise grab of some-sort so the only thing to use is jiu-jitsu (in our case) . Karate and krav are great if you perceive the threat and strike first or they strike but what if they get a hold of you and pin you to the ground? More importantly you have to be trained about the steps before the fight, are you aware of the threats? What time of day is it? Are you alone? Has anyone been following you? Just simple awareness can save your life. From personal experience that part is even more important than the actual fight.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
@sun, welcome along! Your concerns mirror those of many other women so your experience and learning of what works for you would be very useful to a lot of others!

Like Brian said above, pluck up the nerve to take your self along and either try out both for comparison of if that is not possible, at the very least ask to see what both the places are like or talk to the instructors and explain your needs and requirements, see how you react to them, and get a feel for their places, see if it suits you.

After that, I would totally recommend you go with your GUT instinct.. you can get all the expert opinion you like here or elsewhere though it will count for little if you go along on good faith to one or the other and end up not liking it.. Please tell us how this goes for you as your experience would be very valuable for others with exactly those wondering about how to protect themselves are you are! wishes Jxxx

Thank you Jenna... for your kind words...I will surely share my experience here once I will start the classes. I really like the Gut instinct part, mind over body.

OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
To aedrasteia, jks9199 & Steve.

Yes i'm india. I do understand about precaution. But I didn't point gang rape for being into wild party or college stuff. My concerns are the basics. For example, suppose I got stuck in the office because of workload & return late, will I be safe in the street, bus, cab? I'm pointing on this basic area. When I woke up in the morning & see the news paper full of those rape cases, assaults, my head gets into fire.

To drop bear, learning stick fighting skill will not work here. Cause we can't go out with a stick. :angelic:

Last edited:
OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi Sun glad to have you here and will do my best to be useful. I'm a girl
(older :->) with background in judo, aikido and some karate (Shuriryu). I think well of both karate and KMaga, but not for your needs as I understand them. Please feel free to access my previous posts so you will have a better idea of my POV.
Can you tell us generally where you are and what's brought you to this question? What's the situation where you are and your special concern w/ gang rape? A little more information about this will help as we think of what meets your needs.
w/respect A

Thank you, I will surely check your posts.

OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
To HANZOU & dcj0524,

Thank you for your input, I will check about Bjj.

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You can use a walking stick, or a cane???

Or a very solid umbrella. Some are specially reinforced for self-defence use in extremis. They're not cheap, but better than nothing. I wouldn't bet the farm on them though.

The OP should learn how to use force multipliers regardless. Being completely unarmed against multiple assailants is very, very bad. The first rule of unarmed combat is "arm yourself". I would recommend learning how to use a kubotan. Any small solid hand held object can be used as one in a pinch.

All this depends on local laws regarding what you can carry and use of force, etc. I am not a lawyer.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hi
This is my 1st post. Glad to be in this active forum, hope you can help.
I'm a 25 years old woman. I want to learn how to protect myself. Within my budget, I have two options.
One year classes of Japanese karate or 3 month course of krav maga.

Now my parents concerns on this are , they think if I get any wounds in this age, then I will get permanent injury. Plus they think I will produce manly muscles.

My requirement is to make me capable of fighting a gang rape (which is very common in now a days).

So please help me which course I should take. I play guitar, I heard karate students practice by punching on hot sand. So I'm very confuse at this point. I know I might sound sissy. But really need experts view here.

Thank you
Regards.
Neither will give you skills enough to fight off multiple determined attackers who are, statistically, stronger, larger, and more resistant to pain than a woman. Sorry to tell you this, but that's just the truth.

Do you live somewhere in which you can legally employ weapons for self defense such as a knife, gun, or a big stick? Yes, I am serious. Weapons were developed as a "force multiplier" to give someone who is less strong, less skilled unarmed, outnumbered, and out-massed a "equal" chance. To paraphrase the old saw, "God made man, weapons made man equal." Think of it like this: The armies of the world don't send their infantry in bare-handed with only Karate training. There's a reason for that. Something like Filipino Martial Arts, Bowie Knife, or Silat would be good.

As others have suggested, some sort of grappling would benefit you more than the two you listed. Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Judo, Shuai Jiao, that sort of thing.

Strength training WILL NOT develop "manly" muscles on a woman. But it will make her stronger and more toned, and will burn fat and calories as well.

Good luck.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
Neither will give you skills enough to fight off multiple determined attackers who are, statistically, stronger, larger, and more resistant to pain than a woman. Sorry to tell you this, but that's just the truth.

Do you live somewhere in which you can legally employ weapons for self defense such as a knife, gun, or a big stick? Yes, I am serious. Weapons were developed as a "force multiplier" to give someone who is less strong, less skilled unarmed, outnumbered, and out-massed a "equal" chance. To paraphrase the old saw, "God made man, weapons made man equal." Think of it like this: The armies of the world don't send their infantry in bare-handed with only Karate training. There's a reason for that. Something like Filipino Martial Arts, Bowie Knife, or Silat would be good.

As others have suggested, some sort of grappling would benefit you more than the two you listed. Brazilian Ju Jitsu, Judo, Shuai Jiao, that sort of thing.

Strength training WILL NOT develop "manly" muscles on a woman. But it will make her stronger and more toned, and will burn fat and calories as well.

Good luck.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Thank you for the detail insight. Carrying small knife is allowed here. I got your point. You are absolutely right. Hope a knife will also give me a chance to fight against an attacker who is also carrying gun.

Or a very solid umbrella. Some are specially reinforced for self-defence use in extremis. They're not cheap, but better than nothing. I wouldn't bet the farm on them though.

The OP should learn how to use force multipliers regardless. Being completely unarmed against multiple assailants is very, very bad. The first rule of unarmed combat is "arm yourself". I would recommend learning how to use a kubotan. Any small solid hand held object can be used as one in a pinch.

All this depends on local laws regarding what you can carry and use of force, etc. I am not a lawyer.

Didn't know about Kubotan. Thanks for sharing the information.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Yes i'm india. I do understand about precaution. But I didn't point gang rape for being into wild party or college stuff. My concerns are the basics. For example, suppose I got stuck in the office because of workload & return late, will I be safe in the street, bus, cab? I'm pointing on this basic area. When I woke up in the morning & see the news paper full of those rape cases, assaults, my head gets into fire.

To drop bear, learning stick fighting skill will not work here. Cause we can't go out with a stick. :angelic:

Do you have a basic understanding of how to avoid an ambush? Do you know how these people set up these rapes locally? Where they will get you? How they set them up?

And what sort of karate?
Depends on the school. They can fight harder than krav.

OP
S

sun

White Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a basic understanding of how to avoid an ambush? Do you know how these people set up these rapes locally? Where they will get you? How they set them up?

And what sort of karate?
Depends on the school. They can fight harder than krav.

I have some understanding, news papers helps to know about their crime pattern. But when I walk on the street, I mostly look like a victim. I don't know how to avoid that. Hope learning self defence course will also help in this area.

aedrasteia

Purple Belt
Reaction score

Dear Sun - I think of you as my sister, living far away. Please know that I want to amend my suggestions about my previous posts - your situation in India is different and I understand a little about those differences. I am learning more by talking to Indian women/girls who are living here and going to school in America and by reading what Indian women are posting/blogging. They are the experts and I am listening to them first, before i have any comments or suggestions

"When I woke up in the morning & see the news paper full of those rape cases, assaults, my head gets into fire."

This I understand - my head gets into fire also.
w/respect, A

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Thank you for the detail insight. Carrying small knife is allowed here. I got your point. You are absolutely right. Hope a knife will also give me a chance to fight against an attacker who is also carrying gun.
Better than attempting to do so completely unarmed, anyway.

You are right, however, that a firearm is at to top of the personal weapons totem pole.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk (mobile)

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Good point. It's important to understand how predators think and operate. If they think you'll be too much trouble, they'll pick another victim.