Please give your thoughts internalists...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
That is an article from Shifu Jonathan Bluestein

Shifu Jonathan Bluestein (LL.B) is a martial arts teacher and author hailing from Israel. He is the founder of the Tianjin Martial Arts Academy, where he teaches the traditional Chinese martial arts of Xing Yi Quan and Pigua Zhang.

posted on Rick Matz (Cook Ding's) website. I have seen it before but not yet read it, I will read it and respond later.

On a side note there are 2 books from Cook Ding that are pretty darn good

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

posted on Rick Matz (Cook Ding's) website. I have seen it before but not yet read it, I will read it and respond later.

Thats what I have been hearing. I am considering adding them to my library.

I was hoping you specifically, and others like yourself ... cma subject matter experts.. could help me avoid fakers (real vs fake crap) with regard to this matter.

What I read sounded very real and in keeping with what conversations I have had with herbalists and acupuncture daoists who were internalists.

But I dont have a high level of recall of those conversations. .. more like yeah I remember hearing about this... superficial, background knowledge in my head.

Last edited:

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was hoping you specifically, and others like yourself ... cma subject matter experts.. could help me avoid fakers (real vs fake crap) with regard to this matter.

What I read sounded very real and in keeping with what conversations I have had with herbalists and acupuncture daoists who were internalists.

But I dont have a high level of recall of those conversations. .. more like yeah I remember hearing about this... superficial, background knowledge in my head.
I recently bought a copy of Jonathan's book at a used book store. I'm not an internalist, though you could argue that my system of Tibetan white crane has internal elements and could be seen as a hybrid internal/external method.

I've not completed the book, I've gotten thru the first few segments, maybe 69-70 pages or so. It's a long book in large format. I think he hits some things on the target, but it feels like a self-published work and would have benefitted from a professional editor. I'm not terribly excited by the book, but would agree it could be worthwhile for someone starting out and looking for some information.

I've not read anything from cook Ding, this is the first I've heard of him. I

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I recently bought a copy of Jonathan's book at a used book store. I'm not an internalist, though you could argue that my system of Tibetan white crane has internal elements and could be seen as a hybrid internal/external method.

Have you hit Min Loi Jaam yet?

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have seen it many times but haven't learned it. Looking doubtful at this point. Haven't been to class in over a year. After the baby was born, had to buy a bigger house, moved farther out from the city, renting a portion of the house on Airbnb to help pay the mortgage, life just took over and have been very busy. I've only learned up thru the intermediate material, gotta Bai Si (spelling?) before sifu will teach me more. I'm just not in a position to make that commitment now.

In a lot of ways I have plenty of material. None of the forms are really necessary. They are all useful and I would welcome the chance to learn any, but they are not truly necessary. Understanding the principles and drilling the basics is far more important. Even if I teach, I have more than plenty of material to be very thorough.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Turns out Sifu Bluestein has a 72 page pdf sample. I have been reading it. Its soo good I am going to buy it even if He wasnt an accomplished MA. And now I want to develop whole body power and I am looking at Yi Fist/Yi Boxing as it would be something to integrate into what I already do.

Last edited:
OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts after you read it.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have seen it many times but haven't learned it. Looking doubtful at this point. Haven't been to class in over a year. After the baby was born, had to buy a bigger house, moved farther out from the city, renting a portion of the house on Airbnb to help pay the mortgage, life just took over and have been very busy. I've only learned up thru the intermediate material, gotta Bai Si (spelling?) before sifu will teach me more. I'm just not in a position to make that commitment now.

In a lot of ways I have plenty of material. None of the forms are really necessary. They are all useful and I would welcome the chance to learn any, but they are not truly necessary. Understanding the principles and drilling the basics is far more important. Even if I teach, I have more than plenty of material to be very thorough.

Gotcha gotcha ... life does that. I was just wondering if you'd hit that one yet.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotcha gotcha ... life does that. I was just wondering if you'd hit that one yet.
Sure, and I've seen Sifu working with my sihing over and over on it, I was right there with them only I was working on other things, it wasn't done in secret. I've got a good sense of what it is about and how it's done, and it reinforces my feeling that it too is not, strictly speaking, necessary. I see the fundamental principles all over that form, just done in a more subtle manner. There are other ways to develop the same thing, I see it as a progression in the training methodology, the form doesn't contain any mystical secrets or anything. It's still body mechanics.

Sifu's comments support my notions, he always says we don't need a bunch of forms. I feel that they are best understood as a tool for developing an understanding of the principles, and what is possible with that. You don't need them all, or even any, tho they are certainly useful to that end. If you don't understand that, then more forms won't help you. If you do understand that, then the goal has been accomplished and you don't need additional forms.

While I respect the tradition and history of the system and would like to learn the rest of the forms for that sake, NOT having them can be a blessing and makes training more focused and less burdensome. Get more mileage out of less material, rather than get spread too thin and it all suffers for it.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Turns out Sifu Bluestein has a 72 page pdf sample. I have been reading it. Its soo good I am going to buy it even if He wasnt an accomplished MA. And now I want to develop whole body power and I am looking at Yi Fist/Yi Boxing as it would be something to integrate into what I already do.

I would say all CMA has the goal of full body power. They just go about developing it in different ways. Some ways make sense to some people, but not all. Find a way that makes sense to you, don't worry about the "reputation" that a system may have or may not have. If the methodology makes sense to you and you are progressing, then it is a good match for you.

I trained in an offshoot of Chen taiji for about a decade before realizing it just didn't sink in for me as a method, so I stopped. It's just not a good match for me. I don't have a sense of the qi and stuff, can't see where it's all going as an approach to training. So just keep some perspective.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
It is a good article but it is a whole lot of words to say Sandao, Yi, Qi, Li, and unification of upper and lower

Sandao – First you must unify your Shen (Spirit) with the movement. Second you must make your Yi (thought, intension) an important part of every move and third is Shi (posture, position) it must be correct and comfortable.

Yi, Qi, Li. - Yi (thought) controls Qi (energy) and Qi controls Li (Muscles)

And after all that upper and lower should be unified to move and use power properly

Also, as for Zhan Zhuang in Taiji, I am not exactly sure when it appears (and I am not so sure the Chen family is all that sure either), however Wuji standing in Taijiquan predates Yang Chengfu (1883–1936). Zhan Zhaung in Xingyiquan it sounds as if he is saying it is a more modern posture in Xingyiquan. Zhan Zhuang and various other standing postures can be found in Dai Xinyi which is where (historically) Xingyiquan comes from and that predates Ji Jike (1588–1662)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Give me a little time to peruse my copy a bit more. The jury is still out in my mind, I might be willing to send you my copy.

By the way, what is the price you are finding for it?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Give me a little time to peruse my copy a bit more. The jury is still out in my mind, I might be willing to send you my copy.

By the way, what is the price you are finding for it?
$32.13 and 4.00 for shipping is the lowest rate I have found.