Please, Can anyone tell me what style this is?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
- His left hand pins down his opponent's left arm.
- His right hand strikes on his opponent's face.

IMO, there is no need to use his left hand to pin down his opponent's left arm. His opponent's left arm has already been jammed by his opponent's own right arm. That's the beauty of the "side door entry".

His opponent's right elbow joint is still free. His head is in his opponent's right elbow striking range. His opponent doesn't have to keep his right arm straight and freeze in the air.
The monk pins his opponents left arm so that the opponent cannot use that hand to grab or interfere the monk's striking hand. At 0:12 you can see the monk pin his opponent's left are before striking.

The monk's head is under the punching arm. You can see at :013 that the head is in no danger to be struck with the elbow of the punching hand. It's not until the monk pops up to talk that his head is even behind the elbow.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
0:51 I don't see body control. I see uprooting a weak stance. The monk uses a strong horse stance to break his opponents root.

0:57 he's grabbing the groin. If you pause the video at the right time you can actually see the monks hand grabbing the groin. The guy in the yellow appears to be readjusting his junk right after that technique was finished.
In CMA, this move is called "管(Guan) - Body control".

By definition, when your opponent moves in toward you, you lift one of his legs up. You can lift at the ankle, lower leg, below the knee, upper leg, or even the groin area too, that's called "撈 (Lao) – Leg seize" in CMA.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The monk's head is under the punching arm. You can see at :013 that the head is in no danger to be struck with the elbow of the punching hand. It's not until the monk pops up to talk that his head is even behind the elbow.
If the monk's head is

- inside of his opponent's right arm (before he moves his head under his opponent's right arm), his opponent can "head lock" on him.
- under his opponent's right arm (during he tries to move his head under his opponent's right arm),, his opponent can "drop right elbow" on him.
- outside of his opponent's right arm (after he has moved his head under his opponent's right arm), his opponent can "reverse head lock" on him.

All I'm trying to say is, to have your head next to (inside, under, outside) your opponent's "free" arm is dangerous without the protection of your other hand that can be used to control his "elbow joint". There is a good reason that whenever you use one hand to control your opponent's wrist, your other hand should also control his elbow joint. This way, his elbow joint cannot bend. The monk didn't address that issue very well.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If the monk's head is

- inside of his opponent's right arm (before he moves his head under his opponent's right arm), his opponent can "head lock" on him.
- under his opponent's right arm (during he tries to move his head under his opponent's right arm),, his opponent can "drop right elbow" on him.
- outside of his opponent's right arm (after he has moved his head under his opponent's right arm), his opponent can "reverse head lock" on him.

All I'm trying to say is, to have your head next to (inside, under, outside) your opponent's "free" arm is dangerous without the protection of your other hand that can be used to control his "elbow joint". There is a good reason that whenever you use one hand to control your opponent's wrist, your other hand should also control his elbow joint. This way, his elbow joint cannot bend. The monk didn't address that issue very well.
I still don't see it. Here's a video of me slipping a 1,2 punch in a similar manner with the exception of not pinning his arm and not striking while my opponents punch was over my head. There was no headlock and no elbow. Because that punching hand came back to guard before I could reach his body. Even after that, there was still no headlock You can see me raise my head closer to his chin to prevent any attempts of a headlock.

The fighting system that I study has Northern Shaolin techniques in it and many of the techniques we use have a way of misleading the attacker away from the attack. For example, had I thrown a strike while slipping my opponent's attack, it would have landed without little or no resistance because he's paying attention to me slipping his punch and not the strike that is coming while I'm slipping. Unfortunately I only had 6 months of training at the school and didn't know how to attack while slipping a punch.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Or we could go with Shi Dejian was "demonstrating", it was not a actual fight, and that it is very likely his response, based in his years of serious training, would be different if he was actually attacked.

I have never quite got the whole, now lets critique a demo thing, but if that is what makes one happy, carry on. .

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
May be your opponent doesn't train that combo. In your clip, the "reverse head lock" will be a nice move after that hook punch when you (I assume that was you) dodge your head under his right arm.
Yep the opportunity was there, but only for a short moment. Had I stayed in that position longer he would have easily put me in a head lock.
We practice headlocks in our school. My sifu actually encouraged students to apply it whenever they had a chance to. Here's the same guy getting caught with a headlock from another student.
Ironically it was right after he sparred with me. My sifu only gave use about 3 seconds to apply or escape a grappling technique. Our fighting style isn't a grappling system so he didn't like us to say in grappling mode longer than 3 seconds.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Or we could go with Shi Dejian was "demonstrating", it was not a actual fight, and that it is very likely his response, based in his years of serious training, would be different if he was actually attacked.

I have never quite got the whole, now lets critique a demo thing, but if that is what makes one happy, carry on. .
You can critique a demo but not to the extent of saying what would be possible for the opponent to do in response to an attack. Demonstrations happen slowly which gives the appearance that certain attacks and counters can be done in response. This is why I posted the video of me sparring which shows just how quickly the action is for light sparring. Techniques literally have windows of opportunity less than a second. If it takes me half a second to apply a technique then my opponent has less than half a second to recognize the attack, decide what to do, and apply a counter or defense.

There were 9 attacks and counters(including blocks) done in my video clip, which is only about 3.5 seconds long. If you aren't analyzing techniques at this speed or greater then you'll end up seeing attacks and counters that aren't really possible or that aren't likely to occur.

DAVID LEE SPRINGER

White Belt
Reaction score
the first lock he used is called chi-na its hidden in all gung-fu styles--hes defenitly a monk--i seen mantis techniques being used-he used pluck and controled elbow-love to practice with him

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
critique a demo ...

He had demonstrated:

- "管(Guan) - Body control" at 0.51,
- "摘(Zai) – Helmet removing" at 0.53,
- "撈 (Lao) – Leg seize" at 0.57,
- "飄(Piao) - Floating hand" at 1.18,
- "穿(Chuan) - Fireman’s carry" at 1.36.

It's a good clip with a lot of good information in it. He knows his stuff.

I have given him a lot of credit for what he has shown in his clip. I prefer to call it "discuss a technique" instead of to call it "critique a demo".

The discussion is "how to reduce your risk to the minimum when you apply a certain technique such as 偏(Pian) – Head circling".

Last edited:

Latest Discussions