1. Brandie224

Brandie224 White Belt

Where I train has a couple of pink gloves and the girls grab them pretty quick (maybe because they know a bunch of guys haven't been sweating in them), but I already own red ones and I'm not going to run out and buy pink just becuase they have them and I dig pink. I own an ALL pink gi, which just about every guys says I need to wear that so I can tap so-n-so out. I think it's cool that they have pink stuff out there for the girls that are into it and I think it says hey MA isn't just for guys girls are welcome too.

2. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

The issue isn't what people can or cannot wear. If someone wants pink gear then so be it. If someone wants to wear a pink uni and your instructor allows it, more power to you. Of course one can wear whatever they want! No one is saying otherwise.

The issue is companies who say they have gear made just for women. And then that gear *only* comes in *pink*. That IMO, is ridiculous.

For example This Company has boxing gloves "Women's Boxing Glove Specifically sized for women!"

But there are only two color choices. Pink. Or White with powder blue trim. (Wow look at all the options!)

So for women who do not like those colors, through this company the only other option available is men's gloves.

How nice.

Why not make the "women's gloves" in those two colors AND also more colors? More choices appeals to more people and more product will go out the door.

Makes sense to me instead of trying to pigeonhole all women with the thought that they all want to wear pink.

3. funnytiger

funnytiger Blue Belt

Preach it sister!

Whether anyone wants to admit that there is a stigma attached to the color "pink" or not, there is one. Its not an opinion or me hatin' on girlie girls, but it is a real thing that women deal with. Pink for girl babies and blue for boy babies. That was the norm for a very long time. Toys for girls are decked out in pink accented with flowers and other girlie crap that makes me nausceous.

Sure guys are starting to wear pink more often because its popular now. A few years ago it was unheard of for a man to wear pink. My nephew told me a story a few years ago (granted he was either 12 or 13 at the time) that a dude from his school wore a pink shirt and got CLOWNED (for you old timers that means made fun of) for wearing it. They called him every homophobic name in the book and I believe it ended in altercation (not involving my nephew).

I think it needs to be clarified that we are mostly speaking of western cultures and their view of the color pink.

Also, my girlfriend's favorite color is pink. And she wears it proudly and it is definitely her choice. She is also ultra feminist (she believes valentines day is the tool of the capitolist patriarchy...). Its not that anyone is saying you can't wear pink, or that you shouldn't. Be aware that you are being patronized by the market when you buy something that is pink though ladies.

- ft

4. CoryKS

CoryKS Senior Master

This is the key phrase, right here. Vote with your dollars. If they don't sell what you want, go to another company. If this company loses sales from women, they will either a) expand their line; or b) stop selling women's gear.

This is why you don't see a lot of men's gear in pink. There are probably some men out there who would buy it, but not enough that a company could make a huge profit from it. Dollars are not just a way to buy things, they are information, a vote on the relative value of one thing over another. If a product doesn't earn enough votes, it will be removed.

5. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    AMEN! :)

6. RachelK

RachelK Purple Belt

I couldn't disagree more. I do agree that women's gear that only comes in pink, if the same manufacturer makes gear for men in a variety of colors, is not fair and I wouldn't buy from that manufacturer. But what's the stigma attached to the color pink? That it's feminine? Is that such a bad stigma? I don't think so. What's wrong with being feminine?

You can't say that it's OK to wear pink, and at the same time, if you buy something that is pink, you are letting yourself be patronized by the market. What if a woman just happens to like pink, does her preference in color mean she is OK with being patronized?

For heaven's sake, I just do not get why people are offended by pink gear or the color pink in general. I understand that most here are feminists and I have never put myself in that category - I admit, this is mostly because I don't want to be categorized with ultra-feminists such as those who are offended by pink. But what about picking your battles? Be offended that women earn 80 cents for every dollar that men do, not that stuff for women in available in the color pink!

BTW I guess many here are too young to remember Miami Vice in the 80s...that's when men started wearing pink shirts. Afew years ago it may have been unheard of for men to wear pink, but a few years before that, it was all the rage. Pink for male business attire fades in and out of style, whereas pink for women is always acceptable.

I for one am glad that I can wear pink and blue and any color I like, whereas there is a slight stigma about men wearing pink or lavender. I think it's the men who have the stigma, not the women!

-Rachel

7. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I agree - and while I wouldn't buy "women's gear" from this company if the only colors are blue and pink, it has nothing to do with the "femininity" of the colors - it has to do with the fact that the style of pads I prefer gets dirty really fast - that's why I buy black ones, for utility. Now, if they had more practical colors (that is, colors that don't get dirty as easily as pastels) I might buy something sized for women - but for 20 years I've used men's gear, and it really doesn't make a difference.

8. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I don't think the issue, or the topic, is so much with the color pink itself, but with pink training gear. Like I said earlier, I would say I am a girlie-girl, in the sense that I like to wear make-up, paint my nails, wear high heels, etc. I like the color pink, I like the color purple. But I am also a tomboy in the sense of the types of activities I like.

When it comes down to training gear, personally I prefer to not choose pink gear for training. But that's just me. If our school shirts were pink, I'd gladly wear one. If our gi's were pink, I'd have no problem with that either. It's not the color, it's the choice. And the nice thing about being a woman in today's society is that we CAN choose whether or not we want to wear pink training gear. I do have a problem with companies NOT offering a choice, and making ONLY pink (or powder blue, or white) available in women's sizes.

If a woman wants to train in pink, fine. If not, fine. It's just not an issue for me. But I don't think it's necessary to wear pink while training to "prove" femininity. It's just as sweet to kick a guys *** wearing my school uniform as it would be wearing a pink one. ;) A woman is a woman no matter what color she chooses to train in.

9. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Mod Note

Thread split to continue the discussion on Pink aside from training gear.

New thread.

Pamela Piszczek
    MT Super Moderator

10. Brandie224

Brandie224 White Belt

At my gym we have pink n blue gloves the pink ones are supposed to be sized for women, but there is no size difference if you put the blue ones on so who cares if you buy from the mens section I think it's nice to go on a boxing website and see a women section which I've been on website where you click on women and they have every color under there it's just they link you back to the mens section I could careless if I got my gear under women men or kids as long as I'm getting the product that I want. We have a women SD class and all the girls and there love the pink gloves so I think it does speak to a younger croward and lets girl feel that they can still be girly while doing it sure it's going to both some girl, but I think as girls in this sport grow so will our choices in products and I'm happy with just having a choice.

11. kenpoconceptskim

kenpoconceptskim White Belt

Yuck. I don't like it myself. The martial arts is not "girly" or "fru fru".
    I understand we want to get away from it being a men's only club atmosphere and want to encourage girls and women to join but come on... it's still the MARTIAL arts.

What's next? Lacy gi's? Pastel colored gis?

Frankly, I like black and red. It hides the blood better. LOL.
    Only kidding.

Just my opinion.

12. tellner

tellner Senior Master

Black and red are fashion statements. White is a fashion statement. Gods help us red white and blue stars and stripes gis are fashion statements. Pink is a fashion statement. So are pastels. What's the difference between any of them? Female MMA fighters in Japan sometimes wear pink in the ring. It doesn't make them hit any softer. Lacy wouldn't hold up to wear and tear very well. Other than that, knock yourself out.

13. gardawamtu

gardawamtu Yellow Belt

Okay, so my wife usually hates pink, but when we signed up for kickboxing at our new gym, she decided to go with the pink gloves. I think she liked the irony of it. When I got her a pink bandana with skulls all over it (from Walmart), she got really excited. I think she likes the idea of redefining pink as she redefines herself through punching a heavy bag.

Now, tell me more about the lacy gi's -- I may have to get her one :p

14. Just4Kicks

Just4Kicks Green Belt

Actually I was considering getting pink boxing gloves for this reason. :p My art doesn't use much gear though so I wouldn't have the chance to 'show off'. But I do like the idea of gloves made to fit too.

I wouldn't wear a pink gi, white is the colour it is traditionally and I really don't think it should be messed with-what next, poka dots?.

15. Shaderon

Shaderon Master of Arts

When I was told I could have pink sparring gear I said "urgh", I rejected it simply for the same reason I'd reject white sparring gear, it'd dirty too easily. I didn't even think it might be hot pink though as opposed to pastel pink.

Now hot pink I'm not opposed to, like previously said it's a fashion statement, and I reckon it might give us girls a split second advantage against guys in a sparring tournament ;-)

16. CoryKS

CoryKS Senior Master

Remember those t-shirts where, the harder you look at it, the blurrier the letters were? They should make sparring gear with that.

17. Kantini

Kantini White Belt

Martial arts does not equal Man art. So, what is your reasoning behind encouraging girls and women to join? And...<<stage whisper>>...you do realize you are in the Women of the Martial Arts area.

Honestly, I have enjoyed reading this discussion from the beginning. Who could imagine that the poor little color pink could insight such passion. If the sparring gear makers came up with the right shade of pink I'd trade my black gear in in an instant. Women are not only good at the martial arts but we are now being seen as an economic force as well, and we can use that to our advantage by asking the people who make gear to cater to our size needs and other preferences.

18. tellner

tellner Senior Master

Pink? Fine. But I draw the line at floral prints and paisley. Same with star spangled gis and, gods below, camo martial arts gear.

19. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    This is from an MMA fight night in England on Saturday 10th march 2007, check out the shorts!

Team Savage

Adam Stanton
    Attached Images[​IMG]

20. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I tried... but you have to have a login to access the page... any way you could link the picture?