1. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    LOL! She's a bit untouchable though isn't she with all those brothers, uncles, cousins etc etc rofl!

Not all cultures associate pink with the female gender.

2. tellner

tellner Senior Master

In the UK pink used to be the color boy babies were dressed in.

3. RedHeadRob

RedHeadRob White Belt

My 8 year old nagged me to death once she saw a picture of the pink gear. I got it for her and she loves it and it is because it makes her stand out as a girl. Who cares what color gear you have on, as long as sweat is pouring out from underneath it!!!

4. Slihn

Slihn Purple Belt

We have a guy in our Muay Thai class who wears pink handwraps, pink and white boxing gloves, pink shin guards and dark pink shorts.Shes really cool ,they gave her a nickname,"The Pink Panther".

5. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

So the guy in your Muay Thai class you all call a girl for wearing pink?

6. Slihn

Slihn Purple Belt

aw man, I dontknow why I typed guy!lol its a girl!

7. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

Oh well that makes much better sense. :D

8. rosiepink

rosiepink White Belt

I love pink, but I like fuschia more. Darker colors stay cleaner for longer. I would only find pink offensive if I was "forced" to buy it by the instructor. But then I don't believe colors should be mandatory for one sex.

9. evenflow1121

evenflow1121 2nd Black Belt

I d like to think its all part of the new metro concept. But seriously I would have little respect for anyone tossing around a pair of pink nun-chaku. Ah long live Sports Karate and euro/industrial music themed forms or katas!!!

10. funnytiger

funnytiger Blue Belt

There should be, but there is. Being feminine comes with a lot of baggage, or rather if you are not seen as being feminine. Maybe the problem is that we as women (not "girls") need to define what feminity is and what it means to us.

I would burn my bra in protest, but its got this really cute pink flowery print on it that makes me feel so danged girlie! *squeel!*

11. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

OMG that cracked me right up! So much I snorted my wine. :rofl:

12. Kiseiki

Kiseiki White Belt

I would LOVE a set of pink gear! I'm a pink-a-holic, though, but not bright barbie pink. I like the soft, cool, powdery pink--think sakura blossoms. ^_^ Then again, I'm really REALLY girly, but I don't mind that image. I like it because it makes me feel fragile and delicate. Who cares if people make fun of me for it? I do have skills that make me more than a pushover, so I feel confident wearing pink. It's just my color (along with white and red)! In fact...^^; my ninja suit is pink...but all of my colleagues adore me for it (and I love their attention!!). Oh, and you should see my mask! It even has sparkles! xD

13. funnytiger

funnytiger Blue Belt

OOPS! I meant to say, "There shouldn't be, but there is."

14. I would burn my bra in protest, but its got this really cute pink flowery print on it that makes me feel so danged girlie! *squeel!*[/quote]

I'd burn mine too but I need it, although....think what it could add to a spinning side kick!!!!

15. I haven't figured out this quote thing yet.

16. Kacey

Kacey Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    The trick is not to delete anything inside brackets [ ] or the brackets themselves; that's what indicates the quote. The quote itself can be edited.

17. Amazon

Amazon Green Belt

I think my signature speaks for itself. I'm a girlie in that I like pink. It's mostly just somthing that I get a kick out of - a novelty around my school if you will. Most of the guys think it's great because I actually have a reputation for being a brawler, so the pink gear is an ironic touch.

I'm nowhere near using weapons yet, but I don't think I would go for the pink weapons - the sparring gear is enough for me.

Really - I just like pink. Same as someone else might like blue or purple or black.....

I think women should be entitled to choose what they like most - which includes being entitled to LIKE pink if they are so inclined. What I would have a problem with is if women were forced to wear one color because they are women.

Also, I would make note that the companies selling the pink gear don't say it's for women - it also is available in larger sizes, just in case men might like some pink as well.

I think it's refreshing that it is noticed that women like to do MA too and, as a generality, many women like pink and enjoy the option. Now if we could just get them to make the female chest guards with a better anti-bounce factor for us well endowed ladies........

18. Jade Tigress

Jade Tigress RAWR

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Well, I guess I'm an oxymoron. I'm a girlie tomboy. I like to do tomboy things, always have, I never played with dolls, I would have rather been climbing trees, and with the exception of a VERY FEW females, I tend to relate better with men. I love doing things like riding motorcycles , fast cars, throwing darts, playing poker, shooting pool, loud rockin music, and of course, martial arts.

I simply cannot tolerate *normal* woman activities such as tupperware parties, luncheons, scrapbooking, etc. I get bored out of my mind and feel like I'm not myself doing those things. No offense to anyone who enjoys those things...it's just not me is all. In fact, life would probably be a lot easier for me if I DID enjoy those things, but I don't, and I'm not pretending for anybody.

However, I love painting my nails, wearing high heals, wearing makeup and dressing like a woman. BUT when it's time to train I respect the unspoken rules of the Kwoon. I don't know how it is training in other arts because I've only trained in CMA. But for class, I remove my fingernail polish, (I leave my toes...they're in shoes ;) ) and I remove all jewelry or anything that is considered flashy. I don't bother removing my makeup...but I am not "made up" if that makes sense. I don't think I could train in *girlie* stuff, like pink, or whatever. Just because I think it takes the focus off my purpose in training. But, I don't feel like any less of a woman because of it.

That's just my own mindset, I love being a woman and the great thing about being a woman in today's world, is that we have the freedom to be who we are as people. :)

19. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Jade Tigress, I'm with you on all of that! I do wear nail varnish on my toenails when training though. It protects my nails, a lot of male MMA fighters also put nail varnish on toenails! usually clear or black (that may explain some UFC fighters you may have seen with black nails lol!) I wear make up when training, at my age I have to!! I also wear perfume and deodorant as i get a bit paranoid when grappling about not smelling badly!

20. RachelK

RachelK Purple Belt

I totally agree, and I have no less respect for women who choose to wear pink. We are all entitled to have favorite colors. I don't think pink has any sort of stigma aside from being a more feminine color than, let's say, black. However, it's not uncommon to see men wearing pink shirts to the office. I very much object to making any judgements about women wearing pink, just as I would object to anyone saying a man is girly because he wears a pink shirt. Yes, pink is a soft, feminine, color, but it's just a color, after all. A lot of people like to wear black, it goes with everything, it's easy to keep clean, and black has a connotation of funeral attire, just as pink has a connotation of being a womanly color. But when I see someone wearing black, I don't think they're on their way to a funeral, just as when I see a woman wearing pink, I don't think she's some sort of weak girly-girl. People should be judged by their actions, not by their preferred colors. I mean, some women just look good in pink, it works with their complexion!

I'm a bit of a tomboy in that my hobbies, like MAs, computer programming, history and science fiction, are more typically associated with men and I'm not at all into wearing high heels or dressing like a woman. I wear make up to work because we have a dress code. I never wear makeup to train. I wear the strongest deodorant I can find but it doesn't matter, we all sweat and I've just gotten used to it. If you come to our class because you want to be around fresh-smelling people, you'll be dissappointed, as our class is a tough workout.

It's funny, I could wear pink to class, no problem, and if our school shirts came in pink, I'd be the first to buy one, just for the irony of kicking some arrogant guy's *** wearing pink (we have a few jerks in my class and they occassionally need to be reminded that a woman can kick ***). But training in makeup would be a little distracting for me. I did it once because I had to race to class after work and didn't have time to change. But after an hour or so of sweating, it kind of melted off anyway. I guess I'm just not into looking sexy in class. I don't want my classmates to think of me as anything but a training partner, or even worse, to think that I consider them anything but training partners. Aside from the fact that getting dressed up or even putting on makeup when I don't have to is just not my style. Outside of work (where I don't think my apperance reflects my true style as "business attire" is not really my cup of tea) I dress neatly but not sexily, usually cargo pants and a tee shirt. I'm not too concerned with my appearance, I guess I don't think it's one of my strengths, I'm just an average-looking girl and that's OK with me.

However, I am totally feminine in some of my other pursuits, I do love cooking, sewing, and all kinds of crafts things. I even started a martial arts scrapbook but I don't really have time to finish it. I would really love to learn to knit. So in that respect, I do enjoy the "womanly arts" and I guess I am a "normal" woman for that reason. But I have to say, I don't know too many other women who like cooking and sewing, at least, not women my age (35). I guess it's considered kind of passe nowadays when women have so many other choices of activities. But "women's work" should not be understimated. Before the industrial revolution, running a household was incredibly hard work, can you imagine baking bread, sewing clothes for your entire family by hand, washing laundry by boiling water, making your own soap and candles, tending a garden and livestock, not to mention caring for the kids and cooking three meals a day? That was hard work and I guess I've always had a great respect for it, rather than considering it demeaning to women to do that sort of thing, I actually think it is just as valid as any sort of work typically done by men.

Best wishes,
    Rachel