1. IcemanSK

IcemanSK El Conquistador nim!

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I'm conducting an unscientific study. I've noticed that Century, Ringside & other companies have started coming out with Pink gear lately. Not just pink gloves or sparring gear (Ringside & Century) but nunchaku, bo, kama, etc.

Does that help retain younger female students? Make them feel more "part of the club?" Does it have an effect at all? Does it have a negative effect? I don't work for one of these companies. I'm just curious as to whether its a good marketing strategy or bad.

2. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Neither. Helps attract female customers to consider their company when they make their buying decision.

3. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

I'll probably be the minority here, but as a women I find that totally offensive. I can't stand pink and am so tired of companies thinking that a female would just love a product in pink! If we make it pink, the women will want them more! :shrug:

• Like Like x 1
  4. Carol

Carol Crazy like a...

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Need to correct myself here. I'm eating lunch with a colleague who teaches kickboxing at a ladies' gym.

My colleague says her students love the the kicks and the air punches in their routine, but they get a little reluctant about putting on gloves and working a bag. My colleaugue's thoughts: having pink gear may help feminize something that feels a bit foreign to her students.

:idunno: If it were me? I can't see myself buying pink weapons. I could see myself buying pink gloves or a pink gear bag. It kinda fits my personality.

5. evenflow1121

evenflow1121 2nd Black Belt

I ve also seen the gi's where the cuffs will be pink and the collar as well, and the rest of it is white. Sometimes they will have a vertical pink stripe along the sides of the gi as well.

6. chogyunim

chogyunim Guest

I, personally am not a big fan of pink but some of our younger students like it. I think it would just depend on your own color likes and dislikes. It could be a marketing strategy but like any other color, it just depends on you.

7. Lisa

Lisa Don't get Chewed!

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Yes, good point. Definite marketing strategy. As parents we all or most of us have dressed our little girls in pink pretty things. Perhaps this is a marketing strategy to get little girls involved in Martial Arts? I have heard a lot of comments on this and other forums about the reason parent's don't put their little girls into MA is because they prefer to put them in more girly things like dance and ballet. Pretty up the gear for the little ones and get them interested in MA might work.

8. RachelK

RachelK Purple Belt

Pink's not my color and I don't use gear, but I see nothing wrong with it. If my school sold pink tee shirts with our school logos, I'd certainly buy one, just to mess with the guys! After all, pink is a soft color that says, "I'm not dangerous," and I think it would be fun to mislead them into thinking I'm a softie!
    But my wish list, rather than a specific color, would be clothes tailored for a woman, like a fitted school tee or camos that aren't hopelessly baggy! Then I'd buy them no matter what the color.
    Best,
    Rachel

• Like Like x 1
  9. Eternal Beginner

Eternal Beginner Brown Belt

Why not? Personally, I wouldn't wear it, but I don't like pink.

There are lots of little girls in our karate club who decorate their sparring headgear and gloves with stickers of all sorts. If they like pink, let them have it. My only opposition to it as a parent would be that it would look a lot dirtier quicker than black!:D

I know for BJJ gi's there are pink ones (or at least with pink trim) for ladies, but I've never known anyone besides Kyra Gracie to wear one.

10. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I might buy some pink sparring gear just to mess with people I'm sparring. ;)

I especially think the pink nunchaku would have a dramatic effect. ;)

Anyways, seriously, I would use pink to spar. I think the distraction would be good for students to overcome. I means, its all really funny, until the pink boot hits your face.

11. IcemanSK

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Its been noted here that some might find it offensive. That was my 1st thought, too. Does it make a young girl (or adult for that matter) feel more comfortable if she has pink gear? I wouldn't think so. A girl who can "kick butt" would want to do it in "whatever" color gear, I'd think. Not a "special" color for her. Just like there is no pink belt for girls. (Oopps, that might give someone an idea.) The right cut, & size for a woman's frame/hands etc. makes perfect sense, however.

The market will bear out the wisdom of this marketing idea. But I think I'd be a bit put off by it if I were female.

12. IcemanSK

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    Reminds me of a Muay Thai fighter I saw from Milwaukee. He wore pink shorts w/ a smiley face on 'em & went by the name "Cuddly George." He was anything but! But its hard to keep from laughin' when ya saw him. His plan worked well.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    Well, two of the ladies in our class (one 17 the other 40) just bought the pink sparring gear. The older one because she thought it was funny, and the younger one because she liked the color. I suspect alot of it had to do with just getting away from all the black and red gear our school uses.

Lamont

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tarot

Tarot Purple Belt

Yes exactly. If they want to make gear and unis more tailored for women, that is OK with me. But to make it pink is totally ridiculous. I would rather have a choice of colors to pick from. If my only choices were standard gear and gear for women that were pink, I would stick with standard gear. I hate the thinking that pink=feminine.

15. TigerWoman

TigerWoman Senior Master

If that helps them to stay in martial arts, its fine for the girls who want a change. I don't think we will have pink in our dojang somehow. Maybe I should get some! TW

16. RachelK

RachelK Purple Belt

Well, I am not offended by pink. As long as the gear is avaiable in other colors. I mean, if I had to wear a pink shirt whereas the guys wore blue, I'd be offended. But if it's optional, why not? Some girls are very girly even if they can kick ***!
    I Googled why pink first came to be associated with girls and blue with boys:
    http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=238733
    Seems as if it became common in the 50s and before that, it was actually the reverse.
    But why exactly are some women offended by the correlation between pink and femininity? Granted, it's not my favorite color either, but to me, taking offense is kind of like taking offense to the sign on the ladies' room that shows a silhouette of a woman in a dress whereas the men's silhoutte is wearing pants. The signage doesn't mean that real women only wear skirts, it's just a convenient way to tell the two apart. I imagine those bracelets that they put on babies' wrists in hospitals had something to do with the association of pink and blue with boys and girls, and that probably started just as a way to tell them apart since infants look pretty much the same unless you get a close look at the plumbing.
    However, I do know some men who refuse to wear pink, my friend won't even carry a shopping bag if it's pink, which I think is plain silly. I guess they consider pink to be emasculating. It's just a color, for pete's sake! You don't turn into a sissy from wearing certain colors!
    Regards,
    Rachel

17. Drac

Drac Sr. Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Every so often Black Belt magazine will show a picture of Gene La Belle in a pink Gi...Not too many people are going to say anything to him..My 2 cents worth..

18. Makalakumu

Makalakumu Gonzo Karate Apocalypse

• MartialTalk Mentor
    That is awesome! I'm buying a pink dobak.

19. funnytiger

funnytiger Blue Belt

Pink is something that society says a woman SHOULD wear. What if a man wears pink? He's considered a sissy or gay. The same can apply to women as well (although not as prevalent as the stereotype with men) but if you are a female and you don't like pink you are a "tom boy" or a lesbian. Its not about pink being "just a color" its what pink represents in our culture.

I have to agree with all the women here who said that they found it a little offensive. I would rather be caught dead then wear a pink uniform. And if you ever see me wearing pink, its a clone. :uhohh:

I guess this is what happens when you are dating a feminist! lol

• Like Like x 1
  20. Cryozombie

Cryozombie Grandmaster

• Martial Talk Alumni
    *Shrug*

While I think it falls in the same lame marketing catagory as Glitter Nunchucks and Glowstick Bo Staves, and neon green sparring gear. (i.e. somthing to make a demo/tournament fighter stand out)

I would have no problems wearing a pink gi. C'mon, you are taking to Mr. Fuzzy Tiger Stripe orange and black gi over here...

Hell. I'd train naked if I could get away with it. (No, really, I have a valid reason, but its off topic)

• Like Like x 1