Pinan to Pyung Ahn

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The Kai said:
Okay when you move from one stance into the next, do you keep level or rise up and down

When moving in from one stance to the same stance we keep level. If we are shifting stances, we alter our height. Horse stances tend to be very deep. Front stances are a little higher. Back stances are higher still.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So when you do a Inplace transition-you would rise up-why? is there any reason behind this

robertmrivers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Perfect...

I have decided to put an explanation on video and upload it to my site or even make it available to interested parties via regular mail.

I tried to write it down, but it doesn't work. Too long...too complicated...and we are only talking about one basic stance.

Suffice to say, you are discussing exactly what I thought you would. Power, Newton's third law, history, philosophy, practicality of the stance...etc.

You're missing it.

More to come...(How's that for suspense...)

Keep training

Rob Rivers

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
upnorthkyosa said:
On thing I don't like about boxing is how knees and elbows aren't used in the clinch. There are some good punches that one can try, but knees and elbows are far more effective weapons. There are some good combinations in pyung ahn cho dan.

That's a great point and why I add elbows and knees to my boxing combination (solos, not in a class). I lost my Grandmaster's book on TSD, but this thread has made me want to look up the old forms. I do like that TSD emphasizes a waist twist in its forms that is similiar to boxing and generates substantial power.