Picking a martial art?

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys/Girl, my name is Andrew and i just registered here in the forum because in the next week i will choose a martial art to do, and improve. I really like taekwondo and my main goal is not to go to the competitive side, but for self defending (of course competitive will be part of the training and i may join some if im good at it, but my main goal as i said is self defensing). I will explain: I have 19 years old, but since i only have 1,69 meters (5.5 feet) i am not very confident about myself and my hability to self defending me if i need to in street. I dont want to fight with anybody, but if i have to i must be prepared. So my question here is if someone did ever used taekwondo in street for self defending and how did it gone? and how can u kick someone if u are wearing jeans?

Thanks in advance :D

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My thought, for what it's worth: if your primary interest is self-defense, it's probably at least as important to pick which school as it is which art. There are some taekwondo schools that do a lot of self-defense, and a lot of schools that don't. That's probably true to some extent for other martial arts as well. For example, near me there's a Wushu school that does almost no self defense, as well as some karate schools nearby that do not emphasize self-defense.

What you might want to do is visit several schools close to where you live, from several different styles of martial arts, and ask them how much self-defense training they do. I believe it was another thread in this forum where somebody posted these excellent suggestions for self-defense training:
  • Training in street clothes sometimes rather than just taekwondo uniforms
  • Education in how to be more aware of one's surroundings, with emphasis on potential threatening situations
  • Training in environments outside the taekwondo school (parking lots, alleys, etc.)
  • Avoidance of combat via techniques such as verbal de-escalation and calls for assistance
  • Training to escape or evade a threatening situation
  • Self defense against armed attackers
  • Self defense against multiple attackers
  • Identification and use-of improvised weapons
  • Self defense from ground positions (e.g., grappling)
  • Self defense when at a disadvantage (hands full of groceries, protecting a child, etc.)
  • Understanding of laws pertaining to the use of self defense
  • What to do after defending one's self (getting to safety, calling the authorities, getting medical attention)
As you visit schools near you, you could ask them how much (if any) of these things they do. If you find a school that does many of these things, it might be a good self-defense school.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Style isn't nearly as important as instructors and your desire to improve.

Even doing kukki-TKD (what you see in the olympics) you'll learn to take hits.

Learning Muay Thai you may not learn takedowns.

Sport BJJ schools may not teach you self defense

If you want self defense, find a good or even decent school that focuses on it regardless of art, and put in some time outside of class.

How an instructional class goes doesn't define how a practitioner trains.

That sad,

In the 4 years I've been training I've used it 6 times. I only kicked twice, for a leg sweep. I could have went for the side kick to the ribs, could have front kicked the chin on one of them. But, that would've created massive liability for me.

The first time I ever used it was against a drunk frat boy, he tried to clinch and I knocked him out with an elbow and fractured his jaw. Found myself in the police station getting a talking to about how with my training I over did it since it was just a drunk idiot, not another real threatening situation.

I never had to go to court, no charges were filed for either side, and I haven't seen the frat guy since. But I did have to spend the night at the station, and they could have charged me with battery.

It sounds bogus, but if you ever have a lawyer of LEO tell you what you are allowed and aren't allowed to do it will blow your mind. (This is in OH, your state may be different)

Liabilities of things like head and body kicks aside,

You aren't going to be told to use them in SD, I've never seen anyone advocate sport style TKD sparring for SD, you'll learn to fight with your hands, to do locks, throws, clinches, etc.

regardless of what you train in or how often, you need to be working with as many styles in as many ways as you can.

A style doesn't defend you, you have to practice, spar, drill, and do it yourself.

It's all in how well your instructor can teach and explain things to you, and how much effort you put in

Mephisto

Black Belt
Reaction score
See what's available near you, see what classes are during times you can attend, see what you can afford. That should pretty much make your decision for you, or narrow it down.

That being said, if you're just beginning your martial arts journey, I'd recommend you get into a style and school that does lots of training with a resisting opponent. Arts like judo, bjj, boxing, Muay thai, mma, kyokushin karate, are solid arts. Most of these schools take a competitive approach and will teach you how to handle an aggressive attacker. You can't get good at fighting if you don't fight, regular sparring or grappling will do just this (and will do wonders for your self confidence). Most of these schools will ease you into sparring and the coaches and practitioners are down to earth guys. Conditioned athletes can be unintentionally be intimidating to some who are more timid but don't be turned off, if you want to be a lion you've got to train with lions.

As for tkd? In the us, I wouldn't recommend it for fighting ability. It's very commercialized and hard to find a good school. Many tkd guys are quick to say their school is one of the few hard tkd schools but it's rarely the case. Tkd has potential, but largely the way it's practiced isn't going to prepare you for an aggressive attack.

Keep in mind "self defense" can mean different things. Imo most who use the term are describing the ability to fight or fight off an attacker. Sparring and resistance training is a big part of being ready to handle an attacker. But a complete self defense curriculum would include situational awareness and avoidance training, and many other non martial components.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMO
a. It's not the art , it's the school / instructor
b. Don't ask what they teach. They may tell you anything to get you to sign up.
c. Watch 3 classes or so. Watching one may give the wrong impression. You may just happen to come in on the monthly pattern class and think that is all they do.
d. Is what they are teaching what you want to learn? For example, one of the most common initial attacks is a punch to the face. Are they teaching habits that are useful against this?
e. You don't need to kick very high in a SD situation.

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
so guys thanks a lot for ur help ans opinions, i have aome friends that do taekwondo and i was looking into schools and prices and the one i can afford is 20€ per month 3 or 4 times a week with saturday. They told me that they're school is more a class of competition training but still i will try 2 days of taekwondo on that school cause ita near my house and its cheap. I personaly know the instructor since is a friend of family and i know he have done a lot of competitions whn he was younger, and he is a great fighter and instructor but since he is more focused on the competitive side i dont know if i will like. Today i will try muay thai too, cause a school of muay thai just opened near my house and its 25€ per month so i am interested too! Will see what happen, thank you all of you for the quick response and more opiniona are welcome !
Thank you all

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Old School TKD is excellent for self defense, it's all about finding the right teacher. Nowadays it's very hit and miss on school quality. I still see some very impressive TKD people out there but I also see a lot of stuff that I wouldn't bother with.

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think perhaps OP is shopping around so he started similar threads for every art available in his region to see what our responses would be. Really one thread on them all would have been more efficient.

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Oh sorry guys, i just started here and in muay thai cause its the 2 i am more willing to practise, i didnt know where do start a topic so im sorry!

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I want to share my experience with TKD in the past and nowdays. My friend if yuo want to learn a martial art for personal defense in mind let me tell you that you will find in almost (and read almost please) TKD dojangs WTF/Olimpic TKD that's good for cardio, good for tournaments, etc,etc because it's focused in the competitive side. Yes this kind of TKD can be efective but it's not designed to fight but for competiton rule set.

My case is apart, and let me tell you why. I Began in mid 80's in a TKD Dojang that focused in ALL not only competition and by miself I have been learning self defense techs in other martial arts like Kenpo karate, Judo and Aikido, no, I am not a self defense guru but I can use my hands,feet,elabows,knees equaly good and I also know how to submite a Bad Guy if need it, but that's because I have learn some moves in other martial arts.

A high Dollyo Chagui in a tourney can give you 3 points but doing the same kick in the steet in street clothes can lead you to dissaster, a nice spining hook kick can give you even a well knock out in the mat but again in ths street if the Bad Guy grab your kick you are done.

However not all it's bad because a good placed round cick aimed to the legs, or a front kick to the blader/groin can be devastating, so kick for street reasons must be aimed low, for the torso/neck/head area the hands are more suiteble been either a karate chop, a fist or open palm strikes.

I think a good martial art to get involved with it is Hap Ki Do, in this MA you will learn very good self defense aplications.

Good luck.

Manny

OP
K

kapas

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, thank you a lot sir for ur opinion! today i went on a taekwondo class and the it was the day of "technique", i will get back there monday cause its a different training and see if i like. I am trying muay thai too and im split between the two martial arts! I dont have Hap Ki Do in Portugal, especially where i leave so im restricted to muay thai and taekwondo. I like the competition side too, but i want to know that even training hard in competition with a martial art, i can be "safe" if i need to use my knowledge earned in the martial art to defend myself if fighting is my only avaiable option.
Thank you guys, and more opinions are welcome!

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, thank you a lot sir for ur opinion! today i went on a taekwondo class and the it was the day of "technique", i will get back there monday cause its a different training and see if i like. I am trying muay thai too and im split between the two martial arts! I dont have Hap Ki Do in Portugal, especially where i leave so im restricted to muay thai and taekwondo. I like the competition side too, but i want to know that even training hard in competition with a martial art, i can be "safe" if i need to use my knowledge earned in the martial art to defend myself if fighting is my only avaiable option.
|
Muay Thai is very popular here now in the US. However, I don't like it. I would try the TKD or karate first. Then go to Muay Thai if those are too regimented and seem impractical. On the TKD, and karate too, beware of the overly-sporty versions which can slide into recreational activity. This is where critics of TMA's really pounce on the 'mirage' of self defense in TMA.
|
good luck.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Assuming theor both good schools,

Choose whatever feels most comfortable or natural to your body style.

You can train with contact in either, its not difficult at all to find MMA or kickboxing guys who are more than up for sparring with a style they dont usually fight against. This helps prepare them for the ring, and helps you as well in case your TKD school doesnt do a lot of hard contact. You're going to be training outside of the gym anyways after all.

It comes down to how you decide to train, I advocate testing multiple styles because people naturally move differently, fight differently, etc.

For example, I chose TSD/Taekwondo or our MT school, because I have MT friends, we spar hard in TKD, and what was the most important factor for me, our footwork was a closer match to how I boxed than our MT school, which advocated more planting for kicks.

Had I not already had a light, quick movement fighting style I may have chosen a different art.

Try them both and simply see what works best for your personally, dont let people whisper decisions in your ear. They simply dont have your strengths/weaknesses

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
... personally, dont let people whisper decisions in your ear. They simply dont have your strengths/weaknesses
|
Don't let people whisper in you ear? WOAH. MA is about learning to make your own decisions.
|
And I'd really like an answer to my kung fu/ karate vs. boxing post(s) in your role as instructor that you represent here.... NO need to WHISPER...

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In many cases this sort of thing is less about style and more about the instructor teaching it. My advice as always is to find a person who's instruction and ideas resonate with you personally. My first school was a TKD school back when I didn't really know the differences between the various styles. But you know the teacher was great and he really taught me some good stuff. Many of the ideas I learned in that first school I still pass on to others all these years later. I am still friends with my first teacher and we still talk on a regular basis. These martial arts relationships can do so much more for you than teaching you to defend yourself.

ShotoNoob

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In many cases this sort of thing is less about style and more about the instructor teaching it. My advice as always is to find a person who's instruction and ideas resonate with you personally. My first school was a TKD school back when I didn't really know the differences between the various styles. But you know the teacher was great and he really taught me some good stuff....
|
It's important to look at school's on a case by case basis. Here's a clip of TKD self defense, including hands and in-close technique. As opposed to the sporting, kicking only conventions so often seen:
|
EDIT: TKD is not for me. It's a personal choice. Take a look @ how the whole curriculum has been structured...others have spoken to this as well. I give these black-belts "A" for form.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
|
It's important to look at school's on a case by case basis. Here's a clip of TKD self defense, including hands and in-close technique. As opposed to the sporting, kicking only conventions so often seen:
|
EDIT: TKD is not for me. It's a personal choice. Take a look @ how the whole curriculum has been structured...others have spoken to this as well. I give these black-belts "A" for form.

I'm not sure I would choose that as a good example of step sparring to illustrate what Taekwondo is capable of. They are clearly still at the 'forging' stage. Though the basic technical form is OK if looked at in isolation, the application of technique is in my view highly unrealistic, even as a bridge between basics and freestyle sparring. The distancing is off, the combos are not logical from a cause and effect perspective, blocking with the foot is frankly ludicrous unless it's incidental (although it seems to be a favourite) and the flappy double kicking is superfluous, high risk, and inferior to a single powerful blow. What little close work there is does not disturb the attacker's balance enough to achieve the results shown without a play-along opponent.

There are better examples of Taekwondo close work out there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel similarly about 1 step sparrings particularly those using a kick to block a punch. When I learnt one similar, I thought "jeesh, I hope the kids don't think this is really a way to block a punch."

Latest Discussions