Get a Life ;) or check out my post on size versus strength here

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Shirt Ripper said:
Not only should you get a life, but you should sort it out too.
:lol: hahahhaha, dude that is so truuuueee!!!!! ;)

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
bignick said:
I believe there was a book called the Physics of Karate wasn't there? I've been looking, but haven't found anything. Although I have come across some other interesting articles. Enjoy.

http://rabi.phys.virginia.edu/HTW/journal/Volume1.pdf
https://dspace.mit.edu/bitstream/1721.1/16404/1/03740234.pdf

Please share your thoughts. Or just let me know I need to get a life...

There is a book by that title. I can't remember the author's name. I'll let you know when I remember. The articles are interesting. Thank you for sharing. I would have liked the writers to elaborate more on what they're thinking (especially the second one... a tad short).

- Ceicei

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
i'm takeing physics next and anatomy after that.this is why.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Physics? is it neccessary to know this? like gravity? we know it is there...and anyone one fall down.

A non-professional can still punch and kill you? ..........learn to punch like a professional and be that much better.............Aloha

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You don't need to know how a gun works to use it, just point and click, but the more you understand your weapons and how they work, the more effective your utilization of them will be.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bignick said:
You don't need to know how a gun works to use it, just point and click, but the more you understand your weapons and how they work, the more effective your utilization of them will be.

Pop Quiz Hot shot:

Tell me how your TV Works? Including the details of image genereation> (* Note there are multiple right answers *)

How does your cell phone know to connect to a land line?

How does your computer work on the Internet?

How does a Microwave work?

How does a Fridge or Freezer work?

What happens when you turn the key in your car? (* or in some cases push a button *)

Most people could not answer one of those questions. Yet, most can operate them and get by for their needs.

OP
bignick

bignick

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Rich Parsons said:
Pop Quiz Hot shot:

Tell me how your TV Works? Including the details of image genereation> (* Note there are multiple right answers *)

How does your cell phone know to connect to a land line?

How does your computer work on the Internet?

How does a Microwave work?

How does a Fridge or Freezer work?

What happens when you turn the key in your car? (* or in some cases push a button *)

Are these rhetorical questions or do you want answers, because I can give 'em for almost all of them.

But that's not the point. Certainly who cares how gravity works, things go up, they come down, but without a deep understanding of the effect gravity has, along with numerous other forces and effects we wouldn't be able to effectly pilot rockets to the moon, or put satellites in orbit. For a more, down to earth example, how much money could you save if you did know what happens when you turn the ignition on your car and how to fix it when it doesn't work.

Rich Parsons said:
Most people could not answer one of those questions. Yet, most can operate them and get by for their needs.

That's the point, in my opinion. How good is just "getting by". Certainly you don't need to read the papers or articles I posted, but actively seeking out more knowledge on a subject can only have beneficial effects. Whether your talking about electron guns, triads, and shadow masks in a CRT, DNS, routing algorithms, data link and network layer protocols, and proxy servers on the internet or the various components that make up a correct strike. You don't need to sit in a physics classroom to learn these things, in fact, the gym is a much more effective way to learn, but I just thought I'd post the papers for those that might be of a more technical minded nature.

Shirt Ripper

Black Belt
Reaction score
bignick said:
Whether your talking about electron guns, triads, and shadow masks in a CRT, DNS, routing algorithms, data link and network layer protocols, and proxy servers on the internet or the various components that make up a correct strike.

You people make me sick...:rolleyes:

silatman

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mate I'm too lazy to read the articles but I can tell you that physics and human biology are never far from my instructors tongue.
We learn a very principal based MA and so in order to understand the principals and then to be able to utilize them effectively we need to understand how and why things work like they do.
I cant imagine that a system is worth doing unless you understand what you are doing.
Otherwise it would be like your mothers advice, " If Billy jumped of a bridge would you do the same thing"

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
indepth unerstanding of phyics: nessicary: NO
useful for us as martial artists: yes, nothing more.
same with anatomy.
They are useful, to varying degrees. They can help explain why and how things work, but they will not make it so you're a crappy martial artist if don't understand them. Famous masters from the old days didn't know much about anatomy and phyics by modern standards, but they knew them. And if they understod what we have the capability to understand I think they would go for it. Mostly since (again) it can help explain why and how things work the way they do. Now I'm not saying everying go out and get a doctorits in this stuff, but understanding the basics helps. I hope you all understand what I mean, and were I'm comming from.

Sweet Brighit Bless your Blade,

John

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
coungnhuka said:
indepth unerstanding of phyics: nessicary: NO
useful for us as martial artists: yes, nothing more.
same with anatomy.
I don't think we need to know the physics behind it, but I think we need to *understand* how the human body moves, folds, bends, breaks, and these are physics and physiology. Through all of this you experience, fulcrums, levers, inertia, kenetic energy, (i.e. physics).

Latest Discussions