Personality and Martial Arts

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
  • On personality trait measures, score as Candid, Ingenious, Complicated, Independent, and Rebellious

Probably. I'm a bit less candid these days; I've learned the ways of holding my tongue - at work. Not so much on MT.

• More likely than other types to study a foreign language

Yes, and no. I'm fairly good at foreign languages once I'm immersed in the culture. Not as apt to study on my own.

• Most frequent type among college students committing alcohol and drug policy violations

Not so much. However, I finished college after the Marine Corps. There, I drank like a fish.

• Have lowest level of coping resources of all the types (with ISTPs)

Could be, but I've always thought my coping skills were rather good, given the @&#E I put up with on a daily basis.

• One of types least likely to believe in a higher spiritual power

It's complicated. I choose to believe in God, but I accept that it's most likely all bunk.

• Highest of all types in career dissatisfaction (with INFPs)

I am pretty happy with my career. Except for the not being a famous handsome actor with loads of pretty girls tugging my undies off every ten seconds part.

In school, have lower grades than would be predicted from aptitude score

That's me all over. I heard a lot about 'my potential' and how I was wasting it.

• More likely than average to complete engineering programs

Software, yes.

Personal values include Autonomy, Freedom, and Independence

What else is there?

• Overrepresented among working MBA students

Dunno, I don't have an MBA.

• Commonly found in science and technical occupations
Does that sound like you Bill?

I'm a techie all right.

Yeah, it's me more or less. But I tend to take these things with a grain of salt. I match the description of a 'Cancer' too, but I don't believe in Astrology. I think we tend to see whatever is good about ourselves in whatever the tests say we are.

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think we tend to see whatever is good about ourselves in whatever the tests say we are.

Interesting... I actually read through the description of an ENTJ on a different site which labelled my type as "The Executive" and found I checked off all the negative aspects rather than the positive ones. Not sure which side of the coin my friends based their assessment on but yeah. I figured I'd be a lot more honest about the whole thing if I saw the flaws pointed out by the test and recognized them in me. Too tempting to try change self perception to suit all the good stuff. In my case anyway

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I agree with that aspect totally as do my friends who I got to cross check my result to see if it was accurate :)

However, in terms of martial arts specifically, how does that translate? Am I "expected" to like the traditions/hierarchy etc or am I going against the grain so to speak? I'm interested in the whole nature vs nurture aspect of it.

I suspect you'd be attracted to the organizational hierarchy, though not in exactly the same way a Guardian would be, however. ENTJ's like to structure and categorize.

With martial arts as a hobby, that would tend to fit in to ENTJ type hobbies as ENTJ's are interested in sports, especially competative sports.

There is some very good material out there on ENTJ type.......here's a good one.

http://www.personalitydesk.com/type-profile/entj-fieldmarshal

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yeah, it's me more or less. But I tend to take these things with a grain of salt. I match the description of a 'Cancer' too, but I don't believe in Astrology. I think we tend to see whatever is good about ourselves in whatever the tests say we are.

The difference, of course, being the large amount of negative that applies as well with Jungian psychology, and the fact that when you dissect it, it's not really that magical........just a combination of personal preferences that, when examined as a whole, tend to give insight in to motivations and personality.

Many of our flaws and faults are well explained in Jungian psychology as preferences and tolerances.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
It would be kind of hard to overly generalize about 'Martial Arts' personality types, as many folks have a wide range of motivations for participating.

It might be easier, however, to assume that ISTP's and ESTP's would probably be overrepresented in combat sports. One could take a look at the types and see how they would well parallel many of the traits we see in combat sport athletes.

http://www.personalitydesk.com/type-profile/istp-crafter
http://www.personalitydesk.com/type-profile/estp-promoter

Such individuals are also overrepresented in most upper echelons of sports, as well as elite military units and elite law enforcement units. They tend to be the sharp edge of the spear, loving to live on the edge.........if someone enjoys jumping off high objects are climbing Mt. Everest, it's probably an ISTP or ESTP.

Some of the negative traits of ISTP's are why other folks think many guys in MMA are 'Jerks'.....ISTP's can come off that way sometimes.....but if there's a dangerous job needs doing, they're the ones you call. ;)

ESTP's tend to have more charm, but are every bit as much thrill seekers........they just have a nicer smile and are even better at picking up women.

ESTP's......Dana White, Randy Couture, Bas Rutten, Ken Shamrock
ISTP's......Chuck Liddell, Frank Sharmock, Pat Miletich, Brock Lesnar

Last edited:

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
A more thorough test provided me with the following result:

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2] INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Introverted
Intuitive Thinking Judging
[SIZE=+0]Strength of the preferences %[/SIZE]
78 38 38 1

I would say that is pretty accurate, I suppose, but I've only ever had an interest in psychology which I never pursued so I certainly can't look into that in-depth. This does probably contradict that fact that I enjoy teaching, though, right?

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2]INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging
78 38 38 1

I would say that is pretty accurate, I suppose, but I've only ever had an interest in psychology which I never pursued so I certainly can't look into that in-depth. This does probably contradict that fact that I enjoy teaching, though, right?

It wouldn't contradict that, necessarily. It would certainly have much to do with how you went about it.

OP
S

Shotokan Seishin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+2] INTJ[/SIZE][/SIZE]
Introverted
Intuitive Thinking Judging
78 38 38 1

Where did you find the more thorough test? Might be fun to take that one as well.

So I guess it really does appear that martial arts spans all personality types. A comment about the personality of the instructors is also something I hadn't thought of, but seems to be true. On that thought, I wonder if the personality of the instructor has more to do with the sorts of people who are attracted to a dojo. A competitive instructor would appeal to those more interested in competition, an easy going instructor may attract those of similar attitude, and a well balanced instructor would attract a balanced group of students. My own dojo is pretty balanced with an slight emphasis on family involvement, which seems to reflect our instructors quite well actually.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where did you find the more thorough test? Might be fun to take that one as well.

So I guess it really does appear that martial arts spans all personality types. A comment about the personality of the instructors is also something I hadn't thought of, but seems to be true. On that thought, I wonder if the personality of the instructor has more to do with the sorts of people who are attracted to a dojo. A competitive instructor would appeal to those more interested in competition, an easy going instructor may attract those of similar attitude, and a well balanced instructor would attract a balanced group of students. My own dojo is pretty balanced with an slight emphasis on family involvement, which seems to reflect our instructors quite well actually.

I suspect that the temperament of the instructor might have something to do with the students he or she attracts, and more so, keeps.

Noah_Legel

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It wouldn't contradict that, necessarily. It would certainly have much to do with how you went about it.

I suppose that is true--I do tend to get very granular with my explanations

Here is the more thorough test: http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
In the discussion of personality in the aspect girliebug brought up, the issue is more about what is being learned.

Artisans want physical action and development, the ability to express themselves through physical action......they will approach martial arts from that perspective.

Guardians interest is in maintaining tradition, and upholding social standards.......and will approach martial arts from that perspective.

Idealists interest are in the area of personal growth, diplomacy, social harmony, abstract exploration......and will approach martial arts from that perspective.

Rationals are interested in competence and knowledge and will approach martial arts from that perspective.

I get the theory. I just don't think it particularly holds up in real life. I do believe that personality "types" are relevant and have their place. I use them enough in my work to see the utility of them. But the relationship is far more complicated than that. Just looking at this above, I'd say that many martial artists are drawing, to one degree or another, from various of those types at any given time. Just as an "introvert" is capable of drawing from social skills that would normally be attributed to an "extrovert." (Hell, I'm an introvert, as are the majority of other counselors I know, and we spend all day every day talking to people.)

I'm interested in combat effectiveness, social responsibility, abstract theory, physical action, etc. People's interaction with their styles can't really be summed up as simply as all that.

Stuart

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I get the theory. I just don't think it particularly holds up in real life. I do believe that personality "types" are relevant and have their place. I use them enough in my work to see the utility of them. But the relationship is far more complicated than that. Just looking at this above, I'd say that many martial artists are drawing, to one degree or another, from various of those types at any given time. Just as an "introvert" is capable of drawing from social skills that would normally be attributed to an "extrovert." (Hell, I'm an introvert, as are the majority of other counselors I know, and we spend all day every day talking to people.)

I'm interested in combat effectiveness, social responsibility, abstract theory, physical action, etc. People's interaction with their styles can't really be summed up as simply as all that.

Stuart

Nobody says it's 'simple'.......but we are the sum of our parts. Our individual temperament coupled together with our social experiences drive our actions.

The irony is that our behavior reflects our temparment far more than many of us want to admit........and as there is a sliding scale, not an absolute polarity, mildy introverted people, for example, can exhibit extrovert behavior.......but under stress it is introversion that will win out.

That having been said, linking personality to martial arts is a far more complicated task.......but, as I pointed out, not entirely futile. ESTP's and ISTP's are vastly overrepresented among top elite combat sport athletes, illustrating my point about temperament very well..........just as ESFJ's and ISFJ's are vastly overrepresented among elementary school teachers. ;)

Temperament drives interest..........I doubt we're going to see many INFP's leading crack commando units.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Can`t say I`ve seen anything to suggest there is a MA type personality. Traits like patience and strength of will is naturally very common among higher ranks.

I scored INTJ rational/mastermind again, no suprise there.
My primary art is Wado Ryu Karate, the dojo is very focused on perfection of technique.

About rationalists being "not known for their physicality", is that not a myth?

Last edited:

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
That having been said, linking personality to martial arts is a far more complicated task.......but, as I pointed out, not entirely futile.

This I'll agree with (and I think I said as much). I don't think that you can take a personality type and match it to a martial art. Which was my initial point. The way you relate to a martial art is like the way you relate to a job or any other complex system. Personality shapes the interaction, but it doesn't prevent or enable it wholesale.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This I'll agree with (and I think I said as much). I don't think that you can take a personality type and match it to a martial art. Which was my initial point. The way you relate to a martial art is like the way you relate to a job or any other complex system. Personality shapes the interaction, but it doesn't prevent or enable it wholesale.

I think you are correct. Matching a personality to a style would also only work in a place where many styles were available to chose from! In a lot of small towns etc there is rarely more than two to chose from so whatever your personality you are stuck with that choice if you want to do martial arts!

Last edited:

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think you are correct. Matching a personality to a style would also only work in a place where many styles were avaible to chose from! In a lot of small towns etc there is rarely more than two to chose from so whatever your personality you are stuck with that choice if you want to do martial arts!

If that's the case though and you have no personal bias towards either - say TKD and Iaido were the only ones offered (extreme I know) and you had no preference either way - would the personality side of it come into play a bit more? As in, would you look to dominant traits and the like to help choose one?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that's the case though and you have no personal bias towards either - say TKD and Iaido were the only ones offered (extreme I know) and you had no preference either way - would the personality side of it come into play a bit more? As in, would you look to dominant traits and the like to help choose one?

I'd chose both lol
I think though a complete beginner knowing little about martial arts would probably try a lot of arts first, I don't think you'd automatically gravitate towards one style or another plus other things would come into play such as how much does a class cost, how easy is it to get to class so while you may prefer one style over another circumstances may dictate you do the other.
Often things like personality tests are all very well and it's fine for people to think about the theory of things but often real life gets in the way of theories and brings you back down to the ground with a bump. While you would want dominant traits etc to be the reason you chose something it's more likely you will chose your art based on price, what evenings you can train and whether you can get there!

Supra Vijai

Black Belt
Reaction score
True :) Sorry I should have specified that I was going with an "ideal world" example where the cost was the same or not noticeably different and availability was likewise.

I understand that in the real world other factors will come into play, but having said that I gravitated towards one art because a friend told me about it (never mind that I've since discovered most of what he told me was BS :xtrmshock) and stuck with it. I have had to take breaks from it due to work/study commitments but always find I return

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
True :) Sorry I should have specified that I was going with an "ideal world" example where the cost was the same or not noticeably different and availability was likewise.

I understand that in the real world other factors will come into play, but having said that I gravitated towards one art because a friend told me about it (never mind that I've since discovered most of what he told me was BS :xtrmshock) and stuck with it. I have had to take breaks from it due to work/study commitments but always find I return

Is he still a friend lol? I used to do Wado Ryu which I still love, but the club closed and I now do Tang Soo Do which I have to say doesn't suit me however I also do MMA which does so I'm not sure what that says about me :)