Personal Self Defense Stories from Women

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Lisa, Apr 28, 2007.

1. Lisa

Lisa Don't get Chewed!

• Martial Talk Alumni
    Ever have a physical confrontation that you needed to get yourself out of? Ever have to use some of your training to remove yourself or defend yourself from a situation?

I encourage you to share them here with us, so we all can learn from your experiences.

If you feel uncomfortable in revealing your identity, you can pm me your story and I will be glad to post it for you.

Share, hopefully it will help someone else.

• Like Like x 1
  2. stickarts

stickarts Senior Master

• MartialTalk Mentor
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    I am relaying this story from my sister.

She was walking on a street in Bridgeport CT one evening and she heard a guy approaching from behind and he was mumbling something at her. As she walked more quickly he walked more quickly. He came up behind her and grabbed for her. She turned, kicked him in the shin as hard as she could and turned and ran to a police station which wasn't far away.

She never saw his face but her kick dropped him.

3. Rich Parsons

Rich Parsons A Student of Martial Arts

• Advisor
    • Founding Member
    • LifeTime Supporting Member
    • Martial Talk Alumni
    A freind of mine is a social worker. Her father also teached martial arts. She learned a few things and learned then well.

While visiting a female client (* Follow up as she did not show up for a meeting *) she was talking to her and this other client shows up and strats yelling and pushing around the other client. The social worker tells the guy to stop or she will call the cops. He grabs her and hits her in the face. She hits him back in the face and then a kick to the shins and a foot stomp and then anotehr shot to the throat. (* All gross motor skill actions and also done with hammer fists or such, not trying to align knuckles up *)

The police called it self defense for her. And she used the report to get him transferred to another a different social worker.

Good Luck

4. Lisa

Lisa Don't get Chewed!

• Martial Talk Alumni
    I met a woman once in my MA class who was very candid about the abuse she received from an ex boyfriend. She came to the class because she wanted to learn how to protect herself from another attack. He had tried to kill her by choking her. She said the only thing that saved her was all the wrestling she had done with her older brothers when she was a young girl. She had learned how to get out from under someone pinning her down and was very thankful for those lessons that her older brothers had inadvertantly taught her.

5. bluemtn

bluemtn Senior Master

I haven't been involved in anything more than a school fight that required something I learned from my two older brothers. A little background: they had friends in martial arts, who would teach them various things, and also, we'd wrestle- holds, throws, rolls, (even some no- contact boxing). It really is amazing what you can pick up! Well, in addition to throws, I learned a few counters to prevent me being thrown. One day when I was in 5th grade, I was a new student in a big school, and another girl wanted to start a fight with me. She tried to do a throw (I'm guessing she had SOME training somewhere, but it was kind of poor), and I used what I learned a few years later: wrap one leg around theirs, grab seam of their pants, and laugh. Well, I didn't laugh, but it was funny how she tried to do that a couple of times and failed... And the hand work I learned worked in that situation, too- blocked her punches, threw a good solid reverse that ended it just before the teachers got there to separate us.

I really don't know how I didn't get into trouble. I'm guessing I was just so quiet, and generally nice, where she was the opposite from what my teacher had said.

Oh- I've always been a kicker, even before I knew what tae kwon do was. That's best saved for another day, I'm afraid.

6. bushidomartialarts

bushidomartialarts Senior Master

Story from one of my students:

She was leaving work downtown (Albuquerque, NM) when a guy grabbed her in a hammerlock and pushed her into an alley. She elbowed him with her free arm, spun around and kicked him in the groin hard enough to break the heel off her shoe.

They found him in the hospital.

Last we talked, she still had the heel on her trophy shelf.

7. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Did this really happen? Was he incapacitated when she kicked him or was he still standing?

8. gpseymour

gpseymour Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    That post is nearly 10 years old. You probably won't get a reply.

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Is there a reason all of your posts are only on threads concerning women and women's self defence? :cool:

10. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Just where I'm most curious as of now. I've seen a lot of scams and whatnot when it comes to women's self defense, so I'm curious about what people think actually works and what doesn't.

11. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Of course you are.....

12. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Lol ok? I'm serious. There are tons of scams out there, e.g. Model Mugging that probably do more harm than good. They literally teach women to not run when they get a chance and to keep fighting until the attacker is disabled. Terrible advice. They also think all groin kicks will drop a man.

13. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

No idea, no one has posted such things on here but then there's a very broad range of instructors here who deal with violence in their 'day' jobs, who know and understand what they teach. I've never come across any place or instructor that teaches women not to run and to carry on fighting, I haven't come across anyone who teaches that to men either. I've never heard of 'Model Mugging' either. I don't know how many others here have.

14. FF1994

FF1994 Yellow Belt

Well I've encountered many women's self defense places that teach things like that. A lot of places out there are scams. But yeah, I'm just curious as to what people have done and how effective those techniques were.

15. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

16. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

Neither had I. But Google's your friend: model mugging - Bing

17. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member
    Yeah, if I were bothered lol.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Tez3