Performance vs. Combative Hyungs

JWLuiza

Black Belt
Reaction score
Is it stripping the skin off of the art or is it ryu-pa? This, IMHO, is one of the problems of the large federations. They stress a hierarchical structure that controls the art from the top down. People like you and me who start thinking about this stuff aren't taken seriously and eventually we stop advancing because we have "improper" attitudes regarding tradition. I remember being told, when I was a member of the USSBDMDK federation, that I needed to be at least 3rd dan before I could even begin to think about our forms in the way that I was thinking about them.

This was almost 10 years ago.
That's why I'm glad I'm not part of a large organization. I am sad because my school doesn't teach applications though.

So what are your plans for your school at this moment?

OP
Makalakumu

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
So what are your plans for your school at this moment?

My plan is to wait a few years before I really open the doors and build a program in the open. Right now, I'm content to let me school propagate via word of mouth. With all of this underground time, my hope is to put together a curriculum that challenges the "traditional" tang soo do cannon, but still holds true to the concept of ryu pa.

I have an interesting story, actually, about a student of mine. He's not really committed to TSD and usually comes to class only a couple times a month. On the other hand, he does find time to train in other arts like jujutsu and wing chun (against my advice btw).

Anyway, during one wing chun class, he happened to mention that he also trained in TSD. And there was this other guy there who also happens to do a lot of "martial tourism" and just so happened to take that time to press the action in a sparring session to see if any of the "tsd" would come out.

My student threw some good leg kicks, knocked the other guys head around and tossed him on his butt until he had enough. And then the other guy said, "I thought you were going to head kick me..."

My student replied, "I didn't need to..."

Anyway, I thought that was funny...

JT_the_Ninja

Black Belt
Reaction score
My plan is to wait a few years before I really open the doors and build a program in the open. Right now, I'm content to let me school propagate via word of mouth. With all of this underground time, my hope is to put together a curriculum that challenges the "traditional" tang soo do cannon, but still holds true to the concept of ryu pa.

I have an interesting story, actually, about a student of mine. He's not really committed to TSD and usually comes to class only a couple times a month. On the other hand, he does find time to train in other arts like jujutsu and wing chun (against my advice btw).

Anyway, during one wing chun class, he happened to mention that he also trained in TSD. And there was this other guy there who also happens to do a lot of "martial tourism" and just so happened to take that time to press the action in a sparring session to see if any of the "tsd" would come out.

My student threw some good leg kicks, knocked the other guys head around and tossed him on his butt until he had enough. And then the other guy said, "I thought you were going to head kick me..."

My student replied, "I didn't need to..."

Anyway, I thought that was funny...

Hah, that's great. He must have confused us for TKD. What I love about our art is that there's nothing that you "must" see in a TSD fight. We kick, we punch, we throw elbows, knees, and we can grapple and throw if necessary, depending on the situation. Tournaments are different, but even there there's no "definitive" TSD move.

Latest Discussions