People are Stupid

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Samurai said:
I hope the title got someone's attention.......

Anyway, it is my FIRM belief that instead of taking a two week self-defense course or even learning a Martial Art in a dojo enviroment, people should just learn a little basic awareness.

Jeremy Bays

Hi Jeremy.

I think people should do both...learn awareness AND take a course.

You don't know how competent/incompetitent or Aware/unaware you are by yourself. Even a 2 week course (that is good, mind you) can be helpful. Having a qualified instructor guiding your learning is always useful. Ultimately, you have to take responsability for your own learning, but I think it isn't a matter of "learn awareness over taking a course." I think that both are needed.

PAUL

Tgace

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Gotta agree with Paul there. While I have always been a vocal proponent of "tactical" training, its always on the premise that good technique is being trained/practiced. Just like a LEO may never need to use his sidearm...he still trains (if hes smart) with it like he may get into a gunfight at any moment.

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Gotta agree with Paul there. While I have always been a vocal proponent of "tactical" training, its always on the premise that good technique is being trained/practiced. Just like a LEO may never need to use his sidearm...he still trains (if hes smart) with it like he may get into a gunfight at any moment.

Makes a lot of sense to me! :asian:

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
Tgace said:
Ah Tom, you steal my thunder.....:)

The point that is being made here about balancing the mental side of the game with the technical side is why I started a thread (unfortunately didn't go anywhere) about percentage break down of categories in training so that you understand what you are emphasizing at each developmental stage.

For instance, for a beginning student with no prior training:

80% technical
15% fitness/conditioning
5% tactical

Basically the break down shows what the bulk of training time will be devoted to in each lesson, and during the entire phase of the training. It also helps when students feel frustrated, or want to stray into things that they aren't ready to try yet. Obviously as the student progresses the shift will be more into tactical to develop creativity, responsiveness and adaptability. At each phase though each category needs some emphasis. This percentage break down works whether it is a single technique, a rank level preparation, whole system....

Latest Discussions