Pencak Silat Mande Muda Video Clip!

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
before anyone says it yes one person was cooperating so the techniques could be demonstrated. Some interesting concepts. I like the flow of the techniques

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
I trained in this style for a whole summer years ago. The flow and destructive techniques were impressive. The only thing I didn't like is all the throwing yourself on the ground. I didn't feel that would match very well with concrete.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
We train exclusively on concrete....so far , no problem. We are a Silat Minangkabau Harimau and Pencak Silat Mande Muda group in Dallas, Texas. During the summer , the cool concrete is soothing, ha, ha.

Seriously, there is a trick to landing on concrete but you may not get it if your training occurs exclusively on pads and mats.

Doc

OP
Brian R. VanCise

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have always enjoyed practiticing Mande Muda whether with Herman Suwanda or any of his instructors. It was quite a loss when he passed away.

To answer HandSword I think that a skilled Mande Muda practitioner can pull those off on concrete though I imagine that they would rather stay upright and let their attacker hit the floor. Though I will say that a few techniques were not to my liking as well.
icon6.gif
Overall though it is a fun and efficient system if the practitioner is good.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Thanks guys. when I was training it we had a hard surface too. True, you'll adapt to training, and throwing yourself down hurts less than an attacker doing it. However, I always vioew things from a real fighting point of view. With that I love Silat's techniques. It was just the constant "going down" bothered me. When I said not combining well with concrete, I wasn't referring to the training processes.
icon12.gif

I also like the clips. Good find Brian!

bonviet

White Belt
Reaction score
i loved mande muda and was living in australia but had met pah herman several times and had the pleasure os speaking with him in depth, i called and asked and he accepted me to come to indonesia and train with his brother and his sister rita, i had made plans to go but he died in germany before we got back together about it and spoke to his wife just days before. What a tragedy his silat was excellent. it changed my life or i'd be in indonesia right now,
Brings back some memories, thanks
guys,
Bon

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Yes the Pencak Silat Mande Muda Family is still active and progressing in it's own way since Pak Herman's death. However , it is not as obvious since there are not big public seminar events going on here in the USA currently. Of course , there have been some difficulties getting Ibu Rita and Pak Dadang into the USA, but education within the Suwanda Academy family continues. Several of us are trying to arrange a big seminar featuring Guru Besar Rita Suwanda in Ottawa in the spring of 2008. Pak Herman was very generous in his teachings and Bill Stutesman and I used to kid him that if he stayed in Indonesia for 10 years we'd still be hard pressed to perfect and fully explore everything he had already shared with us. I think a lot of the instructors are happy to continue their work and training within their respective schools , still trying to full explore and develop the ocean of material already handed down from Pak Herman and Ibu Rita. The www.suwandaacademy.com website lists currently liscensed Instructors under Guru Besar Rita Suwanda.These teachers are still actively teaching and offering instruction in their respective regions. I know a number of PSMM instructors that have active schools and / or travel to do workshops....Leslie Buck in Austin Tx www.texaskali.org , Phil Matedne in California, Bobbe Edmonds in ( Washington -I think) and Rob McKay of www.pecahan.com. Other instructors that are not active with Suwanda Academy I am sure continue their training in their own manner.
There is a network of active teachers within our region from Texas up thru Oklahoma to Missouri that regularly interact and occasionally have events involving all or many of the schools. Our forward progress and growth withing PSMM is overseen by Guru Besar Rita Suwanda , albiet from a distance ( for now). It may not be obvious but the Suwanda Family System is still alive and well. We are just a quiet bunch, ha, ha.

With Respect
Doc D

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
You certainly can learn and practice on concrete. Most of my Silat training has been in garages, welding shops and former factories. But no matter how good you are it's still hard, and the damage adds up. Every Spring Guru Plinck gets a load of sand. It isn't soft and squishy like a lot of mats. It's traditional. It's a lot nicer than falling on cement or rocks.

Guru Besar Rita and Guru Besar Bambang both have students, and each has his or her style of the family system in the same way that Herman and their father each had his.

Bobbe Edmonds lives near Seattle. He has a website and a blog.

doc D

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Of course , at some point at least a little of your training needs to occur on something that approximates a street surface. Otherwise you end up being hesitant to use your full art , thinking perhaps incorrectly, that what you can do on the mats can not be used on the street at full speed and intent.

Yes, you are correct that Mande Muda really has two major curriculums of training now....One with Ibu Rita and one with Pak Bambang. All the Suwandas are capable , knowledgeable and giving teachers. I have trained with both and can say the flavor of their movements are unique to each other ( as one might expect) and I think they have preferred areas of focus that differ slightly , but anyone training with any of the Suwanda Family will be learning good silat.

Of note , is the fact Bobbe Edmonds has a seminar notice posted elsewhere on this site. He has training with Both Pak Herman and Pak Bambang. I think this should be a pretty good seminar.....worth going to if you can.

We are hoping to bring Ibu Rita in to Ottawa ( Bob Carver's school) in 2008 and may have Pak Dadang in the USA in April 2008. We are working out the details of it all. I'll post more when we have something concrete.
With Respect

Doc D