Paxtial Arts

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, if cover is your goal, and you know how to fight, I think there is a severe lack of kenpo, if you lose sight of your goal, and decide it is about the fight. LOL

Of course it is not about the fight, martial arts is a great work out and is a lot of fun, but that doesn't mean the fight is not present.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Of course it is not about the fight, martial arts is a great work out and is a lot of fun, but that doesn't mean the fight is not present.
There are about a million things you could have done differently, at that party. It was there because you played it that way. As someone said you could have simply killed that guy with kindness, comedy, or simply agree he is a bad ***, and move on.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
There are about a million things you could have done differently, at that party. It was there because you played it that way. As someone said you could have simply killed that guy with kindness, comedy, or simply agree he is a bad ***, and move on.

There were women present.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
The story of a lot of martial arts.
Because there was no need for murder, he ran away from me, if the person is running away from me then there are not a threat to me. I tried the nonviolent route and tried talking him down and that didn't work.

Does your kenpo have ways of stopping an assailant without hitting him?

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Crossing talon has strikes in it. He also didn't set himself up for it.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Has anyone taught you that kenpo techniques are not supposed to done in real life exactly as they are taught on the belt sheet? You are supposed to abbreviate and mix and match the individual moves as necessary. That may mean adding additional strikes if necessary or taking them away completely, the techniques are there to give you a library of motion to work with, not choreography that you are a slave to. The heart of Crossing Talon is a standing armbar technique that is damn near universal among martial arts systems. The heart of Sleeper is the arm in choke that is also super common, and if done with the legs would be the triangle choke. Entangled Wing teaches you the figure four arm lock that is also one of those universal techniques. Your art has all the pieces to control and subdue rather than forcing you to stomp a guy into a bloody puddle because you learned Dance of Death.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well sure, but if they are attacking me who says they are entitled to milk and cookies? If you attack someone you should expect to be hit back.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well sure, but if they are attacking me who says they are entitled to milk and cookies? If you attack someone you should expect to be hit back.
Thats not what he originally asked about/you said though. You stated that American Kenpo does not have a way to stop an assailant without hitting them/the way has not been shown to you. The first part of that is false, as kenpo teaches restraining techniques that don't involve striking the person, and ways that would generally be considered on the 'non-violent' side of self-defense.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thats not what he originally asked about/you said though. You stated that American Kenpo does not have a way to stop an assailant without hitting them/the way has not been shown to you. The first part of that is false, as kenpo teaches restraining techniques that don't involve striking the person, and ways that would generally be considered on the 'non-violent' side of self-defense.

Ok, I guess there is a way, but why bother with that? They are still able to attack you if you do nothing to make them think it's not a good idea.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok, I guess there is a way, but why bother with that? They are still able to attach you if you do nothing to make them think it's not a good idea.

Because you should try to hurt as few people in life as you can.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ok, I guess there is a way, but why bother with that? They are still able to attach you if you do nothing to make them think it's not a good idea.
Again, if you are on a mission, of some kind, overkill detracts from the mission, and may very well create more problems than you had to begin with. Personally, I am big into sweeping people, or jerking down on their collar, if the lean. Either way, I am not trying to knock their teeth out, I am just messing up their game.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Again, if you are on a mission, of some kind, overkill detracts from the mission, and may very well create more problems than you had to begin with. Personally, I am big into sweeping people, or jerking down on their collar, if the lean. Either way, I am not trying to knock their teeth out, I am just messing up their game.

Ok so if I get hired by M16 and take the code name agent ursine, I'll take that into consideration, or if a family member gets stupid with me.

Latest Discussions