Patterns with high kicks that students can't do

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sir, Wrong again Check Volume IV which includes the flying twin foot front snap Kick, Flying twin foot side Piercing Kick, Flying Vertical kick both in clip.

I wrote: "as it relates to training".

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
.Who is making up these rules as to what is or is not included in training for any ITF group? (Not that I am certain if I really care. )

I trained with black belts in 6 years, and none of the kicks he demonstrated are characteristic ITF kicks in the dojang. My instructor was president of the ITF in Sweden in 87.

The kicks normally covered in the curriculum are: turning and side kick, front kick, crescent kick, reverse turning kick, spinning hook kick, jumping and non jumping back kick, twisting kick, and flying side kick.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is a bizarre thread. A red belt, no offense, arguing with a long time TKD practitioner that trained with General Choi, about what is or isn't ITF curriculum. Only on the internet.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This is a bizarre thread. A red belt, no offense, arguing with a long time TKD practitioner that trained with General Choi, about what is or isn't ITF curriculum. Only on the internet.

Mr Weiss claimed that their curriculum is based on ITF, yet not a single kick in that clip is trained in my ITF school or any other I've encountered.

I am not denying you can dig it up in the encyclopedia.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Mr Weiss claimed that their curriculum is based on ITF, yet not a single kick in that clip is trained in my ITF school or any other I've encountered.

I am not denying you can dig it up in the encyclopedia.

I may be mixing you up with someone else, but why do you care so much about defining what is or isn't "XXX"? Especially when that line of discussion is invariably subjective to a great extent. Not everything needs to be in a book and no one knows or has experienced EVERYTHING.

Personally, I'd be using Master Weiss as a resource instead of a 'debating' opponent if I were interested in ITF material and history.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

An underbelt trying to dictate information to one of the most respected TKD Masters in the country, yeah, that's something I want to listen to.

As for Mike O'Malley and Master Kim, knew both of them, went to their school at different times, can't speak highly enough about them. Class acts.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Personally, I'd be using Master Weiss as a resource instead of a 'debating' opponent if I were interested in ITF material and history.

Because I come across this time and time again. We have have people join us from ITF off-shoots and they don't do a damn thing we train. This was driving General Choi mad too, so I am carrying on his legacy here.:D

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
No I don't but since Omalley was one of Joe's main instructors and he's doing ITF forms and wearing an ITF uniform, it's safe to say he left the ITF somewhere around the time Joe joined.
The uniform in the video you posted is not an ITF Uniform - at least not one from the modern era.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Because I come across this time and time again. We have have people join us from ITF off-shoots and they don't do a damn thing we train. This was driving General Choi mad too, so I am carrying on his legacy here.:D
I cannot speak for other groups including the one you belong to, Only as to what what I do and what the organization I belong to does. Having been through the ITF International Instructor course 10 times, 7 with General Choi, Hosting a course with General Choi once, as well as attending other multi day events where he taught I think I have a fairly good idea as to what he wanted.

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
An underbelt trying to dictate information to one of the most respected TKD Masters in the country, yeah, that's something I want to listen to.

As for Mike O'Malley and Master Kim, knew both of them, went to their school at different times, can't speak highly enough about them. Class acts.
Sir, any idea about there organizational affiliations timeline?

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Note I said from the Modern era. ( circa 1990 and later ) Logo on back is not the ITF Logo r and no logo on the pants.

Yes but that clip is clearly 80s judging by the quality. Mr Omalleys pattern delivery is also the precursor to sine wave - knee spring, so I would bet it's anywhere between 1983-1988.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I cannot speak for other groups including the one you belong to, Only as to what what I do and what the organization I belong to does. Having been through the ITF International Instructor course 10 times, 7 with General Choi, Hosting a course with General Choi once, as well as attending other multi day events where he taught I think I have a fairly good idea as to what he wanted.

Did he want this?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sir, any idea about there organizational affiliations timeline?

I do not, sir, no. Any time I was there, or chatting with either of them off the training floor, all we would talk about was the Arts, or kicking or fighting. I don't remember any of us ever speaking of organizations.

Mike used to work somewhere that sold Martial Arts equipment, I can't remember where. I went in one day - and there he was. We talked about everything from sidekicks to women, but never about organizations. I don't think he cared anymore than I did. Nor Master Kim from what I remember.

They were such nice people. I hope they're both well.

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'll answer my own question in the mean time....

General Choi had a relaxation principle. The supposed traditional taekwondo school that I posted is a frenzy of rushes with no attention to posture... They are supposed to be ITF off-shoots yet are completely unrecognizable in spirit. They also focus on tripple spinning aerials, even for beginners. It is a school for acrobatics not TaeKwonDo.

Source: Student that joined us from there who was in for a surprise!

OP
A

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do not, sir, no. Any time I was there, or chatting with either of them off the training floor, all we would talk about was the Arts, or kicking or fighting. I don't remember any of us ever speaking of organizations.

Mike used to work somewhere that sold Martial Arts equipment, I can't remember where. I went in one day - and there he was. We talked about everything from sidekicks to women, but never about organizations. I don't think he cared anymore than I did. Nor Master Kim from what I remember.

They were such nice people. I hope they're both well.

Kim would have to be former ITF since he made the claims of training with General Choi on the website.

Latest Discussions