Parents tattoo kids....

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
The whole "answer my theoretical question" game is pointless. First off... I doubt that you are going to find many candidates who fit your little "what if". Like it or not, the odds of someone like that being able to move up through the corporate structure to have that kind of experience are slim to none.

It would be like asking me if I would turn down the best cop in the world for hiting simply because he has a facial tattoo and a mokawk. There just isnt one because no dept would pay to send one through the academy.

So what you are saying is that how someone looks is how someone looks, and they never change it? An experienced cop would never get fed up, burned out and change his appearance radically or an Executive would never get his hands tattooed while drunk and on the town with some former Fratboys from Yale?

Good to know!

The only reason to cry foul and say "but but but, its unlikey, it will never happen" is because you are afraid to admit that given the right circumstances, you have to admit either I am right, or you have prejudice against people with Tattoos and Piercings. Period.

See, AA pretty much said what I've been saying all along here. People dont necessarily put the experience before the appearance. This is why I was saying that its possible that depending on your look, you may be limited to certain jobs. I used a burger joint as a simple example, but really anything could be substituted.

Sure, a tattooed, pierced 22yo male, may show up at the agility test for the local PD, and pass with flying colors. He may show up at the written test and score a high mark. I'd be willing to bet that IF, he was asked to show up for an interview, that would most likely be as far as he went.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's been an abundance of speculation on the lasting social and economic effects of having a tattoo. It's really not the point, is it? The parents in this story have not been charged with interfering with their children's potential career paths. They've been charged with inflicting pain on their children and violating licensing laws with regard to tattooing.

As to whether or not this was painful to the kids, I don't know. On the latter point, we have two parents who have done something they are not licensed to do minors who are not legally allowed to have tattoos. Further, they have made this decision without consulting the children's other parents.

This story, out of Calgary, Alberta, illustrates the real seriousness of what the parents did. They are not licensed tattooists; therefore, no matter how much they insist the procedures were safe and sanitary, they cannot satisfy the requirements of a licensed tattoo op. See below...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20100211/tattoo_100211/20100211?hub=TopStoriesV2

Health officials in Alberta are urging anyone who received a tattoo or piercing at a home-run parlour in Calgary to get tested for HIV as well as hepatitis B and C.

The warning this week came after seven unlicensed tattoo and piercing parlours were closed down by Alberta Health Services.
In tattooing their children in this fashion, the parents in the OP of this thread have made choices for other people without and concern for the consequences. That, to me, is the real point.

Last edited:
OP
Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm sure all these do it yourself tattooists follow full health care procedures, right down to getting their autoclaves inspected annually and following full sterility guidelines when they whip out the guns and have ink parties.

When I got mine done, I asked for the documentation. I got it but was told most people never ask for it. Funny. You're popping holes in me, you damn well better be 110% clean.

Looking at finishing my one arm this summer if cash flow is there.