Pankration

MingTheMerciless

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I am interested in this WMA , some school that i knew of also trained in the use of hoplite shield , sword and spear . So any of you trained in this ?

Langenschwert

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There's a group in Calgary that does that. I haven't trained with them. Keep in mind that "Hoplite" fighting is a reconstruction without much (if anything) in the way of documentation and is thus largely speculative, much like those that do Viking style sword and shield stuff.

For legitimate WMA, Pankration is fine for unarmed stuff. Just be sure that it's not MMA or Jiu-Jutsu masquerading as such. Modern Pankration is reconstructed from ancient Greek images and whatnot. For legitimate armed WMA, anything that claims to be from before 1290 is bogus. The first manual we have dates from that time... MS I.33, detailing sword and buckler fighting.

Also worth checking our are classical boxing/puglism, catch wrestling, savate/la canne/grande bastone, etc. You're in Toronto, right Ming? One of your best bets for sword work is AEMMA who focus largely on Fiore dei Liberi and Vadi. Also, if anyone can help you find Pankration in TO, they'd be the guys to ask.

Good luck,

-Mark

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a group in Calgary that does that. I haven't trained with them. Keep in mind that "Hoplite" fighting is a reconstruction without much (if anything) in the way of documentation and is thus largely speculative, much like those that do Viking style sword and shield stuff.

The best you can hope for with "Hoplite" fighting is to find someone who has referenced Herodotus and Thucidides. both gave some vague description of how Spartans fought to demonstrate why they were so much better than other Greeks.

Why there is evidence that training was clearly systematic Langenschwert is right in that any "art" from the Classic or Dark Ages is speculative.

That shouldn't put you off though. I think it is always good to experiment, and some of these guys try very hard to get it right. Others, of course, just make it up and don't care.

brokenbonz

Orange Belt
Reaction score
just out of curiosity how much Mu tau thought by Jim Aravantinis ( I hope I'm not butchering the spelling here) has to do with authentic Pankration? I was browsing around to find out more on the subject of pankration in general and came across a bunch of different federations (athlima being an example). Are there any fundamental technical differences between federations?

Latest Discussions