Pan Gai Noon - dead martial art?

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As an add-on to this thread, it is my understanding that Uechi Ryu had a schism in the early 90's? When Uechi Kammei took over. From what I've understood, the art of Uechi broke into different factions. Many of which reverted to some version of the term Pangainoon such as Pangainoon Ryu, Pangainoon Karate, Pangainoon Kempo, Pangainoon Jutsu etc.

Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Several schisms have taken place since the 60’s, actually. Some were small single-dojo breaks, others were larger formations of major UechiRyu and related associations. Fractioning and splits continue to occur today over various issues.

Some associations took the phrase “pan gai nun” as a name element. Uechi Kanbun Sensei never used it as a name, but as a description only. It means (Chinese dictionary definition) “half-hard-soft”. Culturally (Fuzhou dialect) it means “tough and flexible” (something that is half-hard is tough, something that is half-soft is flexible) and describes a method of moving and fighting, not originally a name.

Apparently there were several systems and styles in China around the turn of the 20th century that were described as “pan gai nun” systems.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stylistically... almost anything from Fukien could be that.

Actually... anything from China could be that.

Seizan

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Probably so. I'm not overly familiar with Chinese systems other than this one, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that is so, and many that bear no resemblance to each other at all...

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This thread has been quite educational and I apprecite those that have offered their input. :)

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Probably so. I'm not overly familiar with Chinese systems other than this one, but it wouldn't surprise me to find that is so, and many that bear no resemblance to each other at all...

All Chinese systems are made up of a combination of kicking and punching, Qinna and Shuaijiao to varying degrees

greytowhite

Green Belt
Reaction score
Feeding Crane is thought to be one of the largest influences on Goju ryu and other styles of karate. It is considered an internal/external style or hard/soft and even the names of some of the karate forms (sanchin) harks back to China.

Star Dragon

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Feeding Crane is thought to be one of the largest influences on Goju ryu and other styles of karate. It is considered an internal/external style or hard/soft and even the names of some of the karate forms (sanchin) harks back to China.

A number of Karate forms are also part of several Kung Fu styles. That includes Sanchin which belongs to White Crane and other Chinese systems, although I am not sure which of the various White Crane substyles practice it, exactly. Maybe somebody else here could tell us, I would appreciate it.

Bernard C Walters

White Belt
Reaction score
Well then I have learned the seven kata and only teach sanchin, because that is the only one worth teaching, in my opinion. Why? Kanbun used to say all is within Sanchin, and if you had paid attention while learning it he is correct. The style is not dead because there are a world of practitioners, it is just difficult to locate them because of the popularity of other systems that over shadow this one style.... I had another instructor, one Frank Gorman, used to say there was nothing that could compete to this style..However, finding a school that teaches it is like looking for a a 4 leaf clover in a wheat field...

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Well then I have learned the seven kata and only teach sanchin, because that is the only one worth teaching, in my opinion. Why? Kanbun used to say all is within Sanchin, and if you had paid attention while learning it he is correct. The style is not dead because there are a world of practitioners, it is just difficult to locate them because of the popularity of other systems that over shadow this one style.... I had another instructor, one Frank Gorman, used to say there was nothing that could compete to this style..However, finding a school that teaches it is like looking for a a 4 leaf clover in a wheat field...
Thank you for pulling this thread out from the grave. I learned so much that I didn't even know I didn't know.

Bernard C Walters

White Belt
Reaction score
I will have to find it somewhere, but in one of the Uechi-ryu books (either big blue or Mattson's book) there is a picture of the characters that were originally used for pangai noon.
You may find this in Matson's book, as I have a copy #492 of the original 750....

Latest Discussions