Pad holding

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by Loz, Mar 1, 2018.

1. Loz

Loz White Belt

hey there!! I need advice!
    Got back into Muay Thai after some years tonight.. been doing boxing for a few weeks now at a mma gym..

Tonight I partnered with a woman who was going HARD, I totally get that she was getting a good work out but it was her 2nd Muay Thai session.. But I was giving her pressure with my pads but she literally wanted to go hard and for me not to move back at all.. is that right? Am I going mad? The coach didn’t tell me to stop backing off. Feeling a little rattled and lacking confidence..

I adjust my style to the pad holder if I’m feeling a little stuck, she just kept coming.. I know she trains one on one with another coach, but we all train differently with a coach and like I said the instructor didn’t correct me (or her)

Advice is appreciated

2. Headhunter

Headhunter Senior Master

Don't understand the problem...she was going hard on the pads...good on her she's working hard and asked you to do something to help her with her workout. As long as its not going against a direct instruction from the teacher then what's the problem just do as she asks

3. Loz

Loz White Belt

The coach told pad holders to move and she didn’t want me to move.. so yeah I guess that answers it, I was following instructions from the teacher.. hence he wasn’t correcting me

4. drop bear

drop bear Sr. Grandmaster

Two things.

One. She has just got to learn like everyone else that people are not going to be perfect pad holders and deal with their first world problems.

And two. Thais hit the pad in to the punch. Which gives that really nice reverb I think your girl is hunting for.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Loz

Loz White Belt

Good points, I also need to practice using gloves for pads.. smaller target

• Like Like x 1
  6. pdg

pdg Senior Master

Depending who I'm holding for I seem to have to hold in 3 different ways.

Some like it 'floppy' where you hold the pad still but put up no resistance to the hit and just flop with it.

Or 'braced' where you stay still and try to stay still during the hit.

Or 'active' where the pad hits back ;)

Personally I prefer the last two, mainly 'active' but 'braced' is better for stuff like chain punches/kicks (well, what I call it - many strikes with no reset) - what gets frustrating sometimes is when your pad holder is 'floppy' but wants 'braced' or 'active' in return...

Oh, edit: those 3 holding styles translate using gloves, focus mitts, thai pads, kick shields, whatever...

7. Buka

Buka Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    That's some great pad work right there.

8. JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf Grandmaster

It sounds like he's asking this for the safety of the students. He could be saying to move back to prevent students from taking the full force of the strike. In addition it helps to teach the timing needed to apply the same "move back" in a fight. For example, in a fight you can move with a punch to reduce the impact force. But I'm pretty sure that in your case it's more about safety of the students.