Owning Up To It

KenpoTess

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yep..I like to bloody beaks..

Let's see.. Stickdummy and I were sparring.. he had just shown me a Penjak Silat move.. and I tried it out on him.. he scampered off the mats with a bloody beak, returning with tissues stuffed up it, and we finished the fight, He had a grin on his bloody face from ear to ear cuz I did the tec so well :D

Another time a yellow belt decided he should be as fast as me and he tried to match my punches.. *he shoulda been blocking* and he got a happy bloody nose..

Another BB from another system spars with us.. he seemingly always leaves his beak open.. and my fist always seems to connect with it.. :shrug:

There's been many in my training days.. mostly when my opponent turns into my fist or foot.. I dunno.. guess it's just par for the course..
I've had my share of injuries from others as well.. No big deal.. only a big deal if they are doing it on purpose, and those few were dealt with in a very 'nice' way ;)

~Tess

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
A friend of mine who was my unofficial sparring partner would try to outdo each other all the time. He was notorious for trying off-kilter moves (judo throws, weird steps etc.) just to see how I would react. If he contacted my head with a high kick he would mock apologize. So then I'd hit him in the stomach with a stronger side kick and give him a "How do you like that?" look.
It's actually a wonder neither of us ended up in the hospital.

Flatlander

Grandmaster
Reaction score
MichiganTKD said:
1. Years ago at a testing, I was free fighting a pregnant woman and contacted her with a back side kick dead on into the abdomen. It wasn't that I hit her particularly hard-I didn't. I think it was the timing. I hit her right when she was coming in and her momentum was forward. She seemed okay, then collapsed like a house of cards moaning in pain. This was in front of everyone. I felt horrible about that.
Oh my god! What on earth was she even doing there? Holy crap man. Yeah, I would've felt awful as well in that scenario. Holy crap.

O

OC Kid

On the same note, what do you as instructors do to students who enjoy beating on under belts/ weaker students. Coming up through the ranks there was this brown belt who used to beat on all the white belts/beginners. he would call them 2 legged punching bags (for reals) My instructor never really talked t or disciplined this guy. Consequently as we went up in rank we got to where we would beat on him , I mean bad. he eventually quit BTW he also never achieved his B/B. made to many enemies I guess He figured everyone would take it out on him if he did test.

M

martialpunk

After each night of sparring, we go through the ranks making sure that there are no problems that will continue once class is over. It is also a time to acknowledge a nice technique or to rat out someone who is fighting dirty. I have been in the martial arts for only four years, however, the worst injuries that I have seen only include a concussion and bloody nose.

I do feel bad when I hurt someone, it is just a natural human reaction, those who enjoy inflicting immense pain (other than the general pain) on their training partners are not right.

oc kid
we had a guy like that, he was spoken to a few times, it was bad enough that less experienced students were afraid to fight him because he would hurt them and not really teach them anything. He would not change his behavior and he was asked to leave.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
Everyone in our class apologizes if they make what might even seem like excessive contact, but we rarely stop the action unless it's a hard hit. Sometimes, it's the other guy's fault for walking into a technique head-on, but I still say "sorry" before I give them some advice on how to avoid it next time. My instructor apologized to me both times he bloodied my nose, even though at least once was definitely my fault.

Coming up through the ranks there was this brown belt who used to beat on all the white belts/beginners. he would call them 2 legged punching bags (for reals) My instructor never really talked t or disciplined this guy. Consequently as we went up in rank we got to where we would beat on him , I mean bad. he eventually quit BTW he also never achieved his B/B. made to many enemies I guess He figured everyone would take it out on him if he did test.

We used to have a guy around like that. Our instructor warned him on several occasions, and he eventually asked him to stop coming to class. But that guy was a real sociopath. I know, because I made the mistake of roomming with him for a year. :disgust: (Only time I ever threatened to kill someone, and closest I ever came to carrying it out.)

OP
Rob Broad

Rob Broad

Master of Arts
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is there a point where it just becomes annoying? Does having the same person keep apologizing to the point where it just seems ridiculous. I know we all have worked with that one person who will end up hitting a little hard 7 out of 10 punches. How do you deal with this type of person?

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I always apologise if I hurt someone while sparring, but my instructor says you have already apologised when you touch gloves. But still if I accidentally kick someone in the groin I will apologise, drop and do pressups.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rob Broad said:
Is there a point where it just becomes annoying? Does having the same person keep apologizing to the point where it just seems ridiculous. I know we all have worked with that one person who will end up hitting a little hard 7 out of 10 punches. How do you deal with this type of person?

Rob

I was brought up in a hard contact type of school, if we hit a little to hard, we'd generally touch gloves and be done with it. There was no really "oops sorry for this, oops sorry for that" we just knew the guy or we made a mistake and that was it. No big deal.

Myself I perfer it that way, if I'm the higher rank and I tag a student hard I'll ask if they are all right and continue on. If the contact was a good hit and they are handly it well then I'll extend my glove to them and we go on. This way there isn't really a break so to speak.

However if I'm working with a senior belt and they tag me hard it's a different story in that I wait for them, if they ask then I answer, if they extend the glove, then I'll touch it. If they tell me to stop and catch my breath, jump and up and etc. etc. then I'll do that.

The senior belt should watch the person who got tagged and see if they need to step in and "save" them from the other person (or them themself for that matter).

Mark

O

OC Kid

Yea Mark for the most part with my school coming through the ranks it all depended on the attitude behind the contact. Like the jerk off I mentioned earlier, He got his as everyone progressed. He never improved. When I was hit (back then we didnt have to even wear protection gear other than cups) It was all based on the attitude there is a difference if someone just hits hard or if someone is mean and just likes to hurt people.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
In our organization, the black belts kept each other honest. If someone was contacting you particularly hard, you practiced until you could reciprocate. Unless the guy was noticeably bigger and stronger, in which case the Instructor would talk to him. If that didn't work, the other black belts would take care of things themselves. This is the way of martial arts.
There was one guy I was scared to death to fight, because he did not hold back. I figured, it wouldn't do me any good to complain. I practiced until I understood his technique, then it didn't work on me anymore.

Latest Discussions