Overhand Right!

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't use this one, or at least did not use this one, preferred a straight right. Those of you that fought at competition level, how do you, or did, employ this particular punch? Really interested in hearing some stories if I may.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Over the jab or the hook, and only against fellow right-handers. Works for me because I'm kinda tall....and I was kinda mobile.

Ken Norton was a pitcher in H.S......here's my favorite overhand KO from back in the day:

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
When I boxed (and even now sparring with my MMA/Boxing friends) I never liked the overhand right.

Not that I think its useless or anything, its a heavy punch that usually ends up being pretty fast too!

But it's hard on the shoulders, and the last thing I wanna do is go to throw one in the first or second round and tear my shoulder out.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I boxed (and even now sparring with my MMA/Boxing friends) I never liked the overhand right.

Not that I think its useless or anything, its a heavy punch that usually ends up being pretty fast too!

But it's hard on the shoulders, and the last thing I wanna do is go to throw one in the first or second round and tear my shoulder out.

I got that jar on the shoulder. I never boxed though, just spared mainly with a friend, and the local gym, but not a lot there though. Always kind of seemed like a "slugger" to me rightly or wrongly.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Way......... back in the day I used it maybe once or twice in a kickboxing match. Gloves were bigger so personally I did not use it much. I am more of a cross person myself. I do use it more now while sparring with mma style gloves. I through a ridge hand all the time which has a similar motion but more out to the side.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Way......... back in the day I used it maybe once or twice in a kickboxing match. Gloves were bigger so personally I did not use it much. I am more of a cross person myself. I do use it more now while sparring with mma style gloves. I through a ridge hand all the time which has a similar motion but more out to the side.

Cool. I'll look that one day. You were a kickboxer?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Your shoulder rolls forward and you get an extra inch of reach. The punch does not have to be a huge bomb everytime. You can just roll the hand over.

Shai Hulud

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Tactically speaking, I use overhands to create distance and break up a clinch (in which case it can actually be more of a shove), or as an aggressive combative when I'm trying to gain ground against an opponent and close in. Feinting it works often too.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Your shoulder rolls forward and you get an extra inch of reach. The punch does not have to be a huge bomb everytime. You can just roll the hand over.

With the extra extension of my right shoulder, it jars a bit, but can also throw my balance a little.

Latest Discussions