Our Taekwon-Do Hall of Fame...

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Dear All,

I am wishing to start a thread which will allow us to recognize those whom have had an impact on us and or those who we admire in Taekwon-Do.

Let this be a thread to acknowledge our appreciation for those who have come before us and led the way on which we travel!

Please nominate by name and accomplishments (or personal impact)!

TAEKWON!
Spookey

OP
S

Spookey

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My first nominations are as follows:

Gen. Choi Hong Hi - Lifelong devotion to the creation, distrobution, and advancement of Taekwon-Do

Nam Tae Hi - Contributor to the creation of the Ch'ang Hon Hyungs. Also, charged with leading the instruction of Oh Do Kwan instructors into Vietnam paving the way for expantion of Taekwon-Do as a combat art.

Charles Sereff - Possibly the strongest contributor to the spread of Taekwon-Do in the United States

Robert Walson - Member of the ITF expantion comittee in the early years, an American authority on Taekwon-Do, and assistant/translator for the General

TAEKWON!
Spookey

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Based on the names he has submitted so far, I would say the Art of Tae Kwon Do, heavy emphasis on ITF personalities.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
Art/Sport? There is no difference, only Taekwondo.

I would nominate all of the original Kwan founders with special recognition to GM LEE, Won Kuk.

I would also nominate several Kwan Jang with special recognition to GM UHM, Woon Kyu and GM LEE, Chong Woo.

I'd nominate GMs Jhoon Rhee, Hee Il Cho, Richard Chun, Dae Shik Kim who pioneered TKD in the U.S.

Miles

BTW, whatever happened to Robert Walson? Does he still train?

Shu2jack

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I nominate Grand Master H. U. Lee

Founder of the ATA. Created a strong organization and has saved, changed, and bettered many lifes.

T

Teh Tot

I guess since General Choi Hong Hi and Grand Master Sereff were already nominated, I second the nomination. But I would also like to include Master Huntington, because he brings so much fun to the tournaments he attends. He also got married in uniform at the last black belt test which I thought was really cool.

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One rule: You can't nominate your own Instructor.

While getting married in uniform is amusing, I do think that something like getting married should be a separate part of your life from Tae Kwon Do practice. Even if you met your spouse through Tae Kwon Do, I don't think a dobok is appropriate attire for a wedding. According to WTF rules, you are not supposed to wear your uniform outside of official TKD functions, if you want to nitpick.

I would agree with Miles: I would nominate Won Kuk Lee and Woon Kyu Uhm for the Hall. GGM Lee for being the Original Father of Tae Kwon Do, and GM Uhm for promoting Tae Kwon Do as we know it today.

T

Teh Tot

Master Huntington is not my instructor, I thought about nomintating my instructor but thought that was stupid. as for being maried in uniform. it was a official TKD event, it was during a black belt test and was aproved by grand master sereff. who was a student of General Choi founder of Taekwon-Do.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I further the nomination with special reconition for Won Kuk Lee. I also second the nomination for Jhoon Rhee for his contributions to TKD.

I would like to nominate GM Duk Sung Son, but I'm not sure if I'm allowed to, since he did award me my black belt. :D (Though technically he isn't my instructor.) Besides being the second kwan jang of the Chung Do Kwan, he was one of the first people to begin promoting Tae Kwon Do here in the U.S. (he immigrated in 1962 I believe).

Latest Discussions