Ouch.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
So me and some other students are having fun with randori and a new student with wrestling experience was loving it. She shows much promise, I was told to show her a de ashi barai (foot sweep.)

So I demonstrated it to her and on the way down she had grabbed my lapel along with a chest hair. So yeah rip and that hurt really bad. Good thing I don't have that much there, Chuck Norris must have a high pain tolerance to not even get teary eyed when Bruce Lee ripped his out in return of the dragon.

I think from now on I might wear a tank top or something underneath to help prevent that from happening again.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So me and some other students are having fun with randori and a new student with wrestling experience was loving it. She shows much promise, I was told to show her a de ashi barai (foot sweep.)

So I demonstrated it to her and on the way down she had grabbed my lapel along with a chest hair. So yeah rip and that hurt really bad. Good thing I don't have that much there, Chuck Norris must have a high pain tolerance to not even get teary eyed when Bruce Lee ripped his out in return of the dragon.

I think from now on I might wear a tank top or something underneath to help prevent that from happening again.

Wax on, wax off. :D

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch, indeed. I usually wear heavy gi tops, and that seems to reduce the chance of this happening.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
foot sweep ... on the way down she had grabbed my lapel along with a chest hair.
Most MA systems have not paid enough attention into this area yet, "not to be dragged down to the ground when you throw your opponent". If you pay enough attention on where your opponent's hands are, you can prevent it from happening most of the time.

When you apply "foot sweep", you can prevent your opponent from dragging you down by

- Both you and your opponent have right side forward.
- You use left hand to push his leading arm elbow joint to cross his body and jam his back arm.
- You then pull his shoulder (or neck) when you sweep his leading right leg by your left leg.

This way both of your opponent's hands cannot reach you, he cannot drag you down.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Take a teaspoon of cement for the hair pain.

Otherwise osotogari unless you are splashing the other person in to the deck is done with the same lifting characteristics as every other lifting.

Good base. Straight back.
images

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take a teaspoon of cement for the hair pain.

Otherwise osotogari unless you are splashing the other person in to the deck is done with the same lifting characteristics as every other lifting.

Good base. Straight back.
images

I think the issue comes when uke (person being thrown) is allowed to fall away, rather than controlled to "down", or when there's an over-commitment to the sweep, and the upper body follows the motion. The latter makes the sweep easier, but definitely makes it easier to get pulled down. Some styles even teach this as the preferred position. I'm okay with it, so long as they're prepared to go to the ground.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the issue comes when uke (person being thrown) is allowed to fall away, rather than controlled to "down", or when there's an over-commitment to the sweep, and the upper body follows the motion. The latter makes the sweep easier, but definitely makes it easier to get pulled down. Some styles even teach this as the preferred position. I'm okay with it, so long as they're prepared to go to the ground.

Yeah we just kind of ride them in to the deck. Which can be a bit mean for practice.

We also dont do that throw much.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah we just kind of ride them in to the deck. Which can be a bit mean for practice.

We also dont do that throw much.
I teach students how to do that, because that's what you do if someone holds on, anyway. And if someone sweeps me, I'm bringing them with me if I can.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
if someone sweeps me, I'm bringing them with me if I can.
In Chinese wrestling, if you throw your opponent down and

- remain balance, you will get 2 point.
- lose balance, you will get 1 point.

Sometime your opponent tries to drag you down so you will get only 1 point instead of 2. This is why to take your opponent down and prevent him from pulling you down is important.

If you use the following foot sweep, the chance that your opponent can pull you down should be minimum.

Last edited:

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In Chinese wrestling, if you throw your opponent down and

- remain balance, you will get 2 point.
- lose balance, you will get 1 point.

Sometime your opponent tries to drag you down so you will get only 1 point instead of 2. This is why to take your opponent down and prevent him from pulling you down is important.

If you use the following foot sweep, the chance that your opponent can pull you down should be minimum.

Agreed, but that only works from that side. In what I refer to as a "shoulder clinch", osoto gari is what's most commonly available quickly.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We use different terms here. In Chinese wrestling, the Judo osoto gari is called "cut" which is a complete different category from the category of "sweep".
Probably a useful distinction, since there's a pretty different mechanic in use. Since we only have one "official" leg sweep technique, everything else is seen (through that lens) as a variation on that technique. I can think of at least 3 Judo techniques (though the names of all but osoto gari escape me) that we just lump into "leg sweep".

Latest Discussions