Oss

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We've been having a discussion at the dojo as to the true meaning of the word "Oss". Anyone here have the definition or the origin of the word? I'd greatly appreciate the input of those more knowledgeable.

old_sempai

Green Belt
Reaction score
New Jersey, way in the woods with 2 dogs, one pass
Dont have my notes handy at the moment, but recall finding this term is considered a vulgar one in Japan, though it is used by members of the SDF and National Police. And both groups are not necessarily held in high esteem by the average Japanese. For myself I would not bother using this word or phrase [your choice] at all!

:asian:

A

angrywhitepajamas

I've always been told it means pushing patience, and when ever I say it the sensei's give me a nasty look and a bit of exertion.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Originally posted by angrywhitepajamas
I've always been told it means pushing patience, and when ever I say it the sensei's give me a nasty look and a bit of exertion.

So what did he do? Whack you?

- Ceicei

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
The word OSU (pronounced “OSS!”, with a long "O", and not "Oosh" or "Oos" as is commonly heard outside of Japan" - I'm guilty of usually mispronouncing it myself) ) is considered by many karateka, both Japanese and non-Japanese to be a crude word, not acceptable for use in the dojo. This is because it is interpreted as a contraction of “Ohayo gozaimasu”, and through its use in the docks and barracks it is therefore the Japanese equivalent of “Waazzup man!”.

The OSU! in Kyokushin however does not have the same origin. It comes for the expression “Oshi shinobu! ” which means to push oneself to the limit of one's ability and yet to continue, to persevere under pressure, and to endure.

It is used as a word of many meanings, expressing the willingness to strive against all odds, to persevere on the road to physical, mental, and spiritual strength, an expression of respect of ones seniors and responsibility to ones juniors.

In the Kyokushin school of Karate it is also a greeting and can be used to replace words such as "yes", "alright", "good", "I'll do it" and "excuse me". It is also used to mean mean "hello", "goodbye", "have patience with me", "I'm trying", "well done!" and just about anything else. Fans of Robert Heinlein will appreciate it when I say it has the same range of meaning as the word "grok" in Stranger in a Strange Land. Unlike many other karate styles, a student is never expected to say "yes sir" (HAI!) when given a command in the Kyokushin dojo but to use the word "OSU" instead.

As students of Karate, we are all expected to strive and develop this positive attitude (spirit) of perseverance, determination and respect for others in our training as well as in our daily life (i.e. business, work, studies etc). But you don’t have to be a karateka to have spirit of Osu! Any competitor in the Paralympics has it, probably more than any karateka, simply for not letting their physical incompleteness stop them from doing their best. A parent, doing three jobs to feed his or her children has OSU! (but should probably have got an education instead).

If it is at all possible to express the philosophy of Kyokushin Karate in a single word, then "OSU" would be that word.

Site Source:http://www.australiankyokushin.com/osu.shtml

kenmpoka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
[/B][/QUOTE]
The OSU! in Kyokushin however does not have the same origin. It comes for the expression "Oshi shinobu! " which means to push oneself to the limit of one's ability and yet to continue, to persevere under pressure, and to endure.

It is used as a word of many meanings, expressing the willingness to strive against all odds, to persevere on the road to physical, mental, and spiritual strength, an expression of respect of ones seniors and responsibility to ones juniors.

In the Kyokushin school of Karate it is also a greeting and can be used to replace words such as "yes", "alright", "good", "I'll do it" and "excuse me". It is also used to mean mean "hello", "goodbye", "have patience with me", "I'm trying", "well done!" and just about anything else.
The "Osu" in my book had all the meaning and usage that you described. The word is used in a lot of Karate-Do dojo in Japan and abroad. Particularly by the students that are not familiar with the japanese language , thus the word "Osu" and the usage as you described.

Thank you for "Oshi Shinobu" as I was not aware of that one.

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita...

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenmpoka
The "Osu" in my book had all the meaning and usage that you described. The word is used in a lot of Karate-Do dojo in Japan and abroad. Particularly by the students that are not familiar with the japanese language , thus the word "Osu" and the usage as you described.

Thank you for "Oshi Shinobu" as I was not aware of that one.

Domo Arigato Gozaimashita... [/B][/QUOTE]

You're very Welcome ! Many detractor who refused the usage of Osu is because the way many often mispronounce the word. Even slight hissing sound can mean another thing.

Arigato !

A

angrywhitepajamas

no he didn't whack me, not untill kontikitai, mostly it was a bit more personal attention on small details in my forms(ie focus, hard eyes, proper stance, proper foot work, and the proper attitude, then do it again).

S

superdave

From Sanseido's New Concise Japanese/ English Dictionary.

OSU.

A male. Seems to used when refering to male animals.

OSU

1. Push; thrust; shove
2. Press
3. Stamp
4. Overstrain.

OSU

1. Infer(from); Deduce(from); Judge(from)
2. Recommend; speak in favor of.

E

Eyedoc

In our dojo (Okinawan Kenpo) it is more of the general type of words. We were taught to say it as we enter the dojo (with a bow) and as a greeting or even in place of "I understand." Having some japanese friends I have simply gotten into the habit of saying "hai" for this, but we use it in the dojo. I have never heard of it being crude or vulgar, but I don't know if this varies by origin of your art.

Latest Discussions