Oregon Inmate Plots Death Of 10 Year Old Witness

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I don't think "disturbing" is quite strong enough for this.
An Oregon man hoped to get out of jail by having a 10-year-old girl killed before she could testify in court that he sexually assaulted her, authorities said.

The plan fell apart, however, when another inmate went to police because he was outraged.
Jared Anthony Bernal, 24, had been scheduled to go on trial Thursday in Eugene, Ore., on charges he sodomized and sexually abused the girl. That trial was postponed. Police said Bernal was a friend of the girl's family.
The affidavit by Springfield police, first reported by The Register-Guard newspaper, said Bernal bragged to his brother that he would be out of jail by Wednesday.
Instead, he was standing in front of a judge for arraignment on more serious charges alleging that he tried to arrange the murder of a child under 14 who was a witness in a criminal case, prosecutor Patty Perlow said.

No plea was entered at his arraignment, Perlow said.
http://news.yahoo.com/police-ore-inmate-plotted-death-abuse-victim-191621747.html

I ponder the wisdom of even letting this story go public. Other seriously messed up pedos read it and may get the idea of getting rid of the witness afterwards isn't such a bad idea after-all... in their way of thinking.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people are no better than animals...and thats an insult to animals.

Animals don't think, plan and execute with evil intent.....

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some people are no better than animals...and thats an insult to animals.

Animals don't think, plan and execute with evil intent.....
From my experience, working with offenders in intensive therapy... yes, they do. It's damn scary the lengths that they went through and the planning and just about everything associated with the atrocity.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my intent. I was talking about actual animals...tigers don't kill with evil intent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
MA-Caver

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think you misunderstood my intent. I was talking about actual animals...tigers don't kill with evil intent.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
True that. Still by my own personal definition these guys can't even qualify as animals being so low on the evolutionary ladder that they are.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the guy can think himself lucky the outraged inmate only reported him, though that may only be the start...hopefully. Although I shouldn't say it a bit of natural justice would be good.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
This type of person, if found guilty, should never see life outside a prison.

NSRTKD

Green Belt
Reaction score
Any idea, just out of knowlege-of-the-justice-system curiosity, why they specify "a child under 14"? I don't think it would be any less horrid if she was 15, yaknow, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows a reason for the age they choose. They're talking about plotting a murder, so I don't see why the age of consent applies?

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any idea, just out of knowlege-of-the-justice-system curiosity, why they specify "a child under 14"? I don't think it would be any less horrid if she was 15, yaknow, and I'm just wondering if anyone knows a reason for the age they choose. They're talking about plotting a murder, so I don't see why the age of consent applies?

Well, I don't know the law of that state, but it isn't uncommon to place greater perceived harm to a child based on age. Children below a certain age may be perceived as less able to protect themselves from non-sexual assault, therefore also attempts at murder. That may be the case here rather than an age of consent. Maybe someone who knows the laws of that State can shed more light on it.