Orange Extension Q's: Gift and Locking Horns

D

DeilGyre

Hey everyone! I just found this board, it looks pretty active.
I'm working on learning the extensions, and would like to get people's input on how they work them.

GIFT OF DESTRUCTION:
8. As you continue the momentum of the right hammerfist (without losing flow of motion) shift into a side horse stance facing 8 o'clock as you execute a right downward hammerfist to your attacker's upper abdomen upon settling into the stance.
9. Execute a right front crossover to 4 o'clock as you execute a right backfist to your attacker's temple.
10. Unwind counterclockwise and execute a right front kick to your attacker's solar plexus.
11. Execute a right front crossover and cross out to 4 o'clock.
I'm trying to figure this end movement out, #10 in bold. It feels totally wrong, like I'm spinning beyond what is stable. My instructor doesn't even do it. Does anyone do this move?

LOCKING HORNS
...execute a right reverse handsword up into the groin.
3. Execute a left outward handsword to your attacker's right knee as your right hand maintains a check on your attacker's right arm. Note: This handsword also checks their right knee.
4. Execute a right hammerfist to your attacker's left knee as your left hand returns to maintain a check on your attacker's right arm. Note: This also checks their left leg, but also sets you up for the final strike.
5. Execute a right obscure elbow to your attacker's body, contouring up and striking through your attacker's jaw.
More moves we don't do, sticking to the original technique flow.
Have never seen them done like this. They feel slow, switching your hands like that. I think a figure 8 back knuckle would work better (I know it's probably a teaching tool.) Anyone?
Thanks for the help.
TBC...

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The extensions that I learned aren't like the 2 you have in written text. Unforunately without seeing the whole thing in written text I can't really help you much. :asian:

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Try this for Locking, there are some inserts to fill dead space and ways that make it work smoother, as Mr. Conatser showed last seminar.
6. Locking Horns
(Front- Headlock)
1. An opponent at 12:00 wraps you in a front headlock with their right arm choking.
2. Breath. (Tuck your chin to the left and against your chest.) Grab your opponent's right hand with your left hand to breath a little easier as you step your right foot to 12:00 in a right wide kneel and simultaneously execute a right reverse handsword up into the groin.
3. Execute a left outward handsword to your opponent's right knee as your right hand maintains a check on your opponent's right arm. Note: This handsword also checks their right knee.
4. Execute a right hammerfist to your opponent's left knee as your left hand returns to maintain a check on your opponent's right arm. Note: This also checks their left leg, but also sets you up for the final strike.
5. Execute a right obscure elbow to your opponent's body, contouring up and striking through your opponent's jaw.
6. Execute a right downward diagonal inward elbow strike as you execute a left palm strike to sandwich your opponent's face.
7. Step your left foot to 12:00 into a left front crossover as you execute a right backfist to your opponent's right ribs simultaneous with a left pushdown strike to your opponent's solar plexus. (Left arm over right arm.)
8. From the front twist stance, immediately execute a right knee kick to your opponent's groin.
9. From the right knee strike, now cocked, execute a right foot stomp to your opponent's right instep.
10. With your right foot still on your opponent's right foot, step your left foot behind your right and stomp on your opponent's left instep.
11. Execute a left step through, right front crossover and cross out to 7:30.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
And this is the way I do Gift of Destruction -

5. Gift of Destruction (Front- Right Handshake)

1. An opponent at 12:00 grabs your right hand.
2. Hop forward to 11:00 with your left foot as your right hand simultaneously jerks on your opponent's arm pulling them down.
3. At the same time, simultaneously execute a left strike against your opponent's elbow joint as you execute a right knee kick your opponent's groin.
4. Plant your right foot forward into a right neutral bow facing 12:00 as you simultaneously buckle your opponent's right knee and execute a right inward elbow to your opponent's jaw. [Your left hand should be checking at your opponent's right arm.]
5. Slide your left foot counterclockwise towards 4:00 into a right neutral bow as you grab your opponent's right shoulder with your right hand and pull them down and to you as you simultaneously execute a left inward claw to the right side of your opponent's face. (Your right hand can release your opponent's shoulder and be at your mid-section.)
6. Immediately execute a right outward raking back knuckle strike to the right side of your opponent's nose as your left hand checks low.
7. Reverse the motion of right hand as you execute a right inward downward hammerfist to your opponent's left jaw in order to dislocate or break the jaw hinge.
8. As you continue the momentum of the right hammerfist (without losing flow of motion) shift into a side horse stance facing 8:00 as you execute a right downward hammerfist to your opponent's upper abdomen upon settling into the stance.
9. Execute a right front crossover to 4:00 as you execute a right backfist to your opponent's temple.
10. Unwind counterclockwise and execute a right front kick to your opponent's solar plexus.
11. Execute a right front crossover and cross out to 4:00.

OP
D

DeilGyre

Those are the exact same extension write-ups that I have, Michael.
I only wrote (actually copy/pasted) part of them in my post to save space.
My question was -
  • Do you do that strange kick at the end of Gift of Destruction?
  • Do you actually do those hand strikes to the knees in Locking Horns?
Jfarnsworth, which extensions are you doing? New EP extensions, AKKI, Skip's, or your own schools? Wanna trade? :)

Thanks guys.

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I do the hand strikes, but I am targeting accupressure points inside of the knees and the angle and specific targets I strike may be a bit obscure ... or not. If you want the more general strikes for Locking Horns, try a hammerfist to the inside of their left leg and a right hooking punch their right leg (not what I do now, but it was until the past year or two).

As far as Gift, yes I do it, but it is contingent on range. I tend to knock people back generally, if they do not collapse in front of me. On this I have moved them back with the prior strike and the kick flows in nicely.

-Michael

OP
D

DeilGyre

Michael Billings said:
If you want the more general strikes for Locking Horns, try a hammerfist to the inside of their left leg and a right hooking punch their right.
-Michael
Thanks, Michael.
The figure 8 right outward back knuckle to the opponent's left knee, and right hook punch to their left knee - is already in the extention of Bow of Compulsion, so I think I'll just leave it out for now.