1. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

I have some additional questions, since everyone's asking you about your habits anyway.

Is it conscious or unconscious that you eat so little/avoid so many different foods?

Do you have a general lack of appetite, are you purposefully ignoring your appetite, or does it disappear after you eat even a little bit?

You seem to be eating three meals a day, but it still amounts to very little calorie-wise.

Also: Why do you take a nap in the middle of the day? And what's the purpose of your studying if you're no longer in school?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  2. VanessaS

VanessaS White Belt

Let me reply all these questions in the same message because of the similar studying question. So:

Yesterday I drank milk in the morning and ate one sandwich with cheese and potato chips. After I ate sausage for lunch. In the afternoon, I ate one chocolate energy bar and later I ate fried potatoes with fried chicken. After that because I was studying, I ate one more chocolate energy bar.
    Today I just drink chocolate milk for morning. It's 10:33am here so I can't really tell you what I will eat today :p

I haven't participated in any athletic stuff but I was skateboarding for about half a year (the previous year haha) and due to my injury I haven't tried to skate again. I want to gain a bit more weight first.

So about my appetite, I eat slow and sometimes I feel full even if I have ate a "bit" for the others, but it is enough for me to make me full. I stop eating when I feel full

About why I don't eat so many foods... I just never tried them you know, from when I was younger and I don't feel the need now to try them or some foods they don't seem to me that "tasty" I don't try them

Um about my nap. Well, I sleep late at night, aroynd 2am(I am a night owl at studying haha, I can concentrate better at night) so I sleep at noon to get some rest and keep on going the day. I do that for at least 4 years so it's a habit now for me

So the studying question. I may finished school but I didn't get in the university I wanted so this May I decided to sit the exams again in order to try one more time to get into that university. So I study for the final exams (without going to school of course as I have finished with that) I study on my own for the exams

Last edited: Sep 23, 2017
  3. CB Jones

CB Jones Senior Master

You sound like my wife. She is 5'4" 98-103 lbs....slow picky eater.

Exercise helps increase her appetite so she eats more often but still the same small portions.

She also tracks her calories using calorie counting app on her phone and tries to stay at a minimum over 1500 calories a day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. kempodisciple

kempodisciple Senior Master

Ok, my questions were actually to determine if you might have a mental health concern where lack of appetite is a symptom, to recommend you to get evaluated for that (if you showed other signs).

Instead, I have a different idea about your lack of appetite. Your nap in the middle of the day, along with not doing anything active throughout the day. That could be hurting your metabolism, resulting in you not being hungry. If you want to gain weight, my advice is be active. Go for a run a couple times a day, and stop that midafternoon nap. Do that for a week or so, and see how it impacts your appetite. (If you notice yourself losing more weight, stop. And either way while you are doing this get yourself monitored by your PCP or a nutritionist).

Regarding food that doesn't seem "Tasty", how do you know if you have never tried them? I'm sure you've heard that a ton of times, but all of those foods that you mentioned are important. If you're eating so little you don't think you can be active, and there's nothing medically wrong with you (anemia), you may have to experiment with different fruits/vegetables/breads and find out which ones you do enjoy/can tolerate in order to start eating healthier.

This probably sounds like a lecture, and keep in mind I am some guy on the internet that you've never met, but having good eating habits is important and something you should take seriously.

5. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    I'll add that eating slowly is almost certainly part of the problem with appetite. Psychologically, it takes about 15 minutes to start feeling "full". That appears to be part of our body's natural responses to keep us from over-eating. If you eat slowly, you'll feel full before eating many calories. If you eat a bit faster (at the beginning of a meal), you will consume more calories before feeling full.

I speak a bit from experience. I had a ragingly fast metabolism all through my teens, into my 20's. I kept most of it in my 30's, but it wasn't raging. In college, I often ate an entire large pizza for dinner, just to have enough calories - and I still didn't gain weight (was about 155 lbs. @ 5' 10" until my mid-20's). I learned to eat fast (I hadn't done so until my late teens), in order to routinely take in enough calories for my body.

6. Marie_Flowers88

Marie_Flowers88 Yellow Belt

Always thinking about what people thinks won't make you happy :) Live your life as you want to. ;);)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Mountie

Mountie Yellow Belt

I'm usually the smallest guy in the room. Was the smallest in my class, smallest in my troop, smallest in my detachment, and where I currently train I'm the smallest male over the age of 14. I may have been teased in grade school, but now no one laughs at me for it. If they did, I wouldn't care. They might be able to muscle their way out of a tough spot, but we smaller people need all the advantages we can get.

If you want to train, train. Obviously, make sure your diet supports the added activity, but find a place that makes you feel welcome and enjoy yourself.

And I know you asked about kickboxing in particular, but in case this comes up, don't sweat which style you train in. Find a good teacher, a school that fits your budget/schedule and something you love and will keep returning to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Marie_Flowers88

You should try it. It is like a workout and you will gain weight if you do a proper diet while doing martial arts.
    Also, your trainer will consider your situation and of course, they don't even want you to lose weight.

9. Tez3

Tez3 Sr. Grandmaster

• Supporting Member

Come to the UK and either live in Middleham North Yorkshire or Newmarket Suffolk, no one over five foot one lives in these places.....

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mountie

Mountie Yellow Belt

But it's so much more fun picking on people bigger than me.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Marie_Flowers88

Tez3 said was absolutely true.

Mountie - yep, they sometimes tell you that they wish they are somehow same as your height.

Just love what God has given you. Make it your asset not a thing that will put you down.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oftheherd1

oftheherd1 Senior Master

I never thought of that as a way to keep from overeating, but rather a means to get as much as possible before the big guys slap you and push you aside.

• Like Like x 1