Open weight matches in MMA

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
At what pace though? You have a considerably bigger guy just bullying smaller guys and you have a pretty sucky training environment.

(Kramer does karate?)

I don't have the you tube look that up.

I will look it up, but simply as a training exercise.

Rough and hard all the same.

The smaller guy isn't meant to win, it's meant to be as a bullying type drill and uphill battle. It's a workout, not a real match or competition.

When a small guys used to working with someone a heck of a lot bigger, guys his size feel like feathers

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will look it up, but simply as a training exercise.

Rough and hard all the same.

The smaller guy isn't meant to win, it's meant to be as a bullying type drill and uphill battle. It's a workout, not a real match or competition.

When a small guys used to working with someone a heck of a lot bigger, guys his size feel like feathers

There is a limit to how much you should do it. Because we spar contact we keep an eye out for the guys who are testing themselves against the smaller guys.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a limit to how much you should do it. Because we spar contact we keep an eye out for the guys who are testing themselves against the smaller guys.

I agree, its not something you do every class.

But a time or 2 a week would be very beneficial

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
You realize the gracies screened challengers right? There was one fighter (rich Franklin I think but someone correct me if I'm wrong) who they had issues with wanting to fight because he was a wrestler.

Now if they did this during the Gracie challenge, odds are they tried to screen cards in the early days of UFC when graces still had a say...

You can deny it if you want, but we'be had a lot of BJJ guys on this forum say the same thing as Andrew.
I am sure it was no accident that the first round of the first UFC had Gerard Gordeau facing the much larger Teila Tuli and Royce facing a boxer with one boxing glove on. :)

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The first UFC contestants were picked specifically for what kind of fighters they were. The only concern they had was Ken Shamrock due to his high school wrestling and pro wrestling background. What they did have on him was he was fighting 4 days prior in Japan then traveling to the U.S. He would be dealing with jet lag as well. So no they didn't 'rig' but they were very selective as to who would be in the tournament.

Unless you can prove that they WILLFULLY didn't allow people who didn't know how to grapple, in....in order to favor Royce Gracie, then this is all hearsay and fabrication.

Remco Pardoel was a skilled Judoka who Gracie fought. There was a Sumo Wrestler, etc. The Gracie Challenge started in the 1920s, making it over 70 years old at the time of UFC 1. Do you think that the Gracies dodged all forms of Wrestlers, Judokas, Jujusukas, etc. for that 70 year period and now, dodging them in the inception of the UFC by not letting them enter? No, it's because Wrestlers and other Grappling arts such as Judo, didn't step up. It was after how they saw Royce Gracie mopped the floor with everyone using grappling art that was basically Jujutsu/Judo Newaza, that they started to sign up for UFC 2 and up. UFC 6 and up, you couldn't swing a dead cat around without hitting a Wrestler or Dan Severn's big butt.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You realize the gracies screened challengers right? There was one fighter (rich Franklin I think but someone correct me if I'm wrong) who they had issues with wanting to fight because he was a wrestler.

Now if they did this during the Gracie challenge, odds are they tried to screen cards in the early days of UFC when graces still had a say...

You can deny it if you want, but we'be had a lot of BJJ guys on this forum say the same thing as Andrew.

You can't prove any of this. And Rich Franklin is a striker who was also a UFC title holder.

While there are plenty of proofs on YouTube of the Gracies fighting NHB vs. entire camps of Wrestlers, and this was way before UFC 1. The Gracie Challenge has been going on since the 1920s. It's absurd to say that they've been dodging certain people for 70+ years to the start of UFC 1 and so on.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I miss is the spectacle and surprise that came from the early UFCs and continued in Pride. The pure stylists fighting each other. Size and experience becomes a bit dangerous. Doesn't matter how big you are, if you are incompetent, you're putting yourself at unnecessary risk. I dont enjoy seeing people get hurt. But I do enjoy seeing contests of skill that are unorthodox.

Look up after shock or whatever your local version is. It is a bit tamer. But it attracts the come and have a go crowd because of it.

FriedRice

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Here's an old video, before UFC 1, where I think a Wrestling camp took up the Gracies on their challenge and came to their gym to fight. The other video is after the inception of the UFC. But I doubt that the Gracies dodged any Wrestlers or Grapplers. They didn't just want to show that their BJJ was superior to standup striking of all styles, but to also dominate other grappling arts. But one of the main attraction of the early UFC was to see what would happen when a Striker meets a Grappler. And with any type of tournaments such as this, as a Promoter, you don't want to put the best fighters in the same bracket and risk them fighting each other right off the bat in the prelims....otherwise you'd have the best fighters quickly cancelling his counterpart out and then fighting some dud on the other side, making it a snore of a Finale.

OP
Jason Norin

Jason Norin

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Here's an old video, before UFC 1, where I think a Wrestling camp took up the Gracies on their challenge and came to their gym to fight. The other video is after the inception of the UFC. But I doubt that the Gracies dodged any Wrestlers or Grapplers. They didn't just want to show that their BJJ was superior to standup striking of all styles, but to also dominate other grappling arts. But one of the main attraction of the early UFC was to see what would happen when a Striker meets a Grappler. And with any type of tournaments such as this, as a Promoter, you don't want to put the best fighters in the same bracket and risk them fighting each other right off the bat in the prelims....otherwise you'd have the best fighters quickly cancelling his counterpart out and then fighting some dud on the other side, making it a snore of a Finale.

I remember watching a video by Royce Gracie fighting a Kung Fu practitioner way before UFC1 was launched.

Latest Discussions