Open Mindedness

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As others have said, I began training in other things because of some doors opening as other doors closed. My TKD instructor had lied to me about his affiliations & my rank. Soon after I discovered that, I went to a GM with my certs seeking to test for 3rd Dan. When he saw the cert from my most recent instructor, he laughed me out of his office. I had heard of a kickboxing gym that was near that GM. I had always wanted to be the next Rick Roufus...so, without a map or a good idea of where I was going, I found the gym simply by driving around. That started 10 years of boxing & kickboxing. As you can guess, the whole Rick Roufus thing never worked out.

Circumstances drew me away from one thing to another. I was training at a community center boxing program (where I also worked) when I was asked by the karate instructor there if I'd help him. Four months after helping him, I began to teach my own TKD program.

My MA resume is pretty heavy simply because I've just kept showing up & working out for 26+ years.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't really have a problem with advanced students expanding their knowlege to understand how other styles work. It is helpful to know judo rolls, aikido locks, and in close fighting. The problem I have is people who try to become experts in multiple styles thinking they have all bases covered.
Well guess what? You'll never have all bases covered because life is just too unpredictable. I think it is better to think of yourself as a ______ stylist with a solid foundation in that art but with knowlege of techniques from other styles than to try to be a (fake) master of all arts.

Latest Discussions