Only clip allowed up

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score
The clip was good. Cory fought Anthony at a qualifier earlier this year. Lost by 2 in the final. Was a good match. They are 1-1 now. Why was he not at Nationals?
He did go to nationals but broke his foot at a previous tournament (Korean American Amature Games in Chicago) just a week prior. He tried to have it taped, the medics experimented with all types of padding and tape the day before his matches but it did not help. He said he could fight his first match and ignore the pain but it would be any matches after that that concerned him.

He will be at the US Open this year though.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The U.S. use to be about all sports when I was young. I miss the days of Wide World of Sports. That was a great show. We use to get all the Olympic type sports all the time. Not sure when that fell out of favor, but it did sadly.

Anyone else from the U.S. remember Wide World of Sports that use to come on all the time when big world sporting event took place? Jim McKay was the host most times. They showed everything you could imagine.

Man, I miss the WWoS. That was so much fun. I just wikied it and found this interesting tidbit. It seems it was actually the ground breaker for many staple televised sporting events:

"Wide World of Sports was the first program to air coverage of Wimbledon, The Indianapolis 500, the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, the Daytona 500, the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the Little League World Series, Triple Crown, The Open Championship, the X-Games, the Grey Cup, and many other events." :asian:

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Man, I miss the WWoS. That was so much fun. I just wikied it and found this interesting tidbit. It seems it was actually the ground breaker for many staple televised sporting events:

"Wide World of Sports was the first program to air coverage of Wimbledon, The Indianapolis 500, the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship, the Daytona 500, the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, the Little League World Series, Triple Crown, The Open Championship, the X-Games, the Grey Cup, and many other events." :asian:

WWOS was great :) That was basically Roone Arledge's baby if I remember correctly, back when he was president of both ABC News and ABC Sports. Jim McKay, he could make anything seem really interesting. I remember watching curling on WWOS, and it seemed so interesting and important the way he described it, you couldn't take your eyes off it :) It really was a great program, and there's nothing like it anymore. It seems no one has time for anything that isn't related to popular fads anymore.

And ATD, you comment before about 'running' being more popular than Martial Arts seems completely true to me.

OP
ATC

ATC

Senior Master
Reaction score

Yeah it was a great show. I wish they brought it back and used it to show case the so called B sports.

What does that mean anyway, the B sports? Sports are sports. Just becasue one is more popular that another does not make it any less of a sport. Take basketball for example. Some guy cut the bottom of a peach basket out and nailed it to a pole and began to toss a ball into it. Now it is one the most loved sports world wide. But the concept is a simple one. When did it become an A sport?

Quest

White Belt
Reaction score
Its amazing how the Almighty Dollar in television and marketing has taken away the minor sports. Because of the large television contracts all we get is NCAA football and basketball on Saturdays.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
TKD is like most Olympic sports. Though of as a B sport. The A sports get all the glory. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey and even Soccer. NACAR and F1 even get more press. Oh how could I forget Golf. Even simple running is above TKD or MA in general.

Professional Poker gets more sports time on ESPN than TKD does.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Heck, I've seen more marble shooting championships on ESPN than I have TKD.

I was dumb founded to see some nerds play a card game on ESPN, not having paid a lot of attention, I think it was 'Magic, the Gathering'

Things that get airtime, when actual physical activities are overlooked, you gotta wonder....

Latest Discussions