Online martial arts courses

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
yeah I knew but as it hasn't come up since you joined I thought you'd like a bimble through old threads, it's the fashionable thing to do here at the moment............
Hehe ah cheers, appreciate it Tez3. Actually interested in what previous answers came up, will have a look :) [emoji106]

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why should they? It's their life it's their choice if they enjoy themselves learning online who are we to judge thrm
Actually we are people who know better. It isn’t about judging them. It’s about trying to educate them about the proper way to go about things.

Of course not everyone is open to being educated.

Marie_Flowers88

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey there everyone! Just wanted to get your thoughts on something. What are your opinions on learning martial arts from an online course, as opposed to at a class or gym? How far can you get learning purely from online videos and so on? And can online courses be a useful supplement to in-person training? Are there any courses that you guys particularly like?

I think online courses will be useful if you already in an advanced training. But for a beginner, nothing can replace an actual teacher teaching you on the spot.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
i learned to play baseball and football and hockey by watching it on tv then going out and playing it with my friends. i didnt really understand the rules, didnt get any coaching from an adult and you know what,, i didnt come away with any life threatening issues....or any health issues for that matter. i also taught myself to swim with no help or instruction from any adult or pro swimming coach....i didnt drown. i also learned to punch the heavy bag by watching "ROCKY" bent my wrist a few times no big deal. learned a spinning crescent kick from watching Chuck Norris movies.
oh and i did learn to not hit your thumb with a waffle face framing hammer with no instruction from the pro's nope that one was ALLLL ME.

If you did all that and learned everything perfectly, without injury, I salute you!

But doubting Thomas that I am, I don't think you or anyone else could have. Learn not to drown and still move forward in the water, maybe so. Learn to move efficiently, I have my doubts. Learn to hit a heavy bag and bent your wrist a few times but no big deal. It took me a lot of practice to learn to hit properly as taught by my instructors. Kick like Chuck Norris? well nobody does that anyway. :)

If you were trying to be funny, I wasn't in a sufficiently funny mood, too early in the morning I guess. I know there are things one can learn with a start from books and videos, then a lot of experimentation and practice. I just don't think in my experience with learning TKD and Hapkido, that it can be done correctly. Maybe I am the dunce. :oops:

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think online courses will be useful if you already in an advanced training. But for a beginner, nothing can replace an actual teacher teaching you on the spot.

I think you and others are correct in saying this. But depending on the art, you may still need a teacher to catch little nuances of how you are doing something incorrectly, and showing you where you are wrong. Those who require videos or in class attendance to check on progress may be able to catch those things.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you did all that and learned everything perfectly, without injury, I salute you!

But doubting Thomas that I am, I don't think you or anyone else could have. Learn not to drown and still move forward in the water, maybe so. Learn to move efficiently, I have my doubts. Learn to hit a heavy bag and bent your wrist a few times but no big deal. It took me a lot of practice to learn to hit properly as taught by my instructors. Kick like Chuck Norris? well nobody does that anyway. :)

If you were trying to be funny, I wasn't in a sufficiently funny mood, too early in the morning I guess. I know there are things one can learn with a start from books and videos, then a lot of experimentation and practice. I just don't think in my experience with learning TKD and Hapkido, that it can be done correctly. Maybe I am the dunce. :oops:

your combining two issues, i wasnt. when ever the question of on line courses comes up there is post after post about how people will injure themselves. there is an uproar to the point that you would think there was a good probability of death.
can someone without prior experience get proficient at martial arts from watching a video,,no. i do think there is an exaggerated focus on people getting injured by doing so. i would bet the biggest injury would come from thinking you know how to fight and finding out otherwise should you find yourself in that position. but other than that people do and have been doing physical activity without good instruction since the birth of man kind. its not a big deal.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i do think there is an exaggerated focus on people getting injured by doing so.

In this day and age where people are snorting nutmeg/cinnamon, doing endless amount of stupid things one would think that it was perhaps exaggerated but sadly, you just know that there are people out her who will hurt themselves by trying to teach themselves martial arts.
There Are Hundreds Of Stupid Ways To Die, But These Have Got To Be Some Of The Silliest

Apart from, if we can stop someone even hurting themselves a little, as instructors we like to do that. It's instinctive for us to want to see someone getting the best out of training and doing well so of course we don't want people to try and teach themselves.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
your combining two issues, i wasnt. when ever the question of on line courses comes up there is post after post about how people will injure themselves. there is an uproar to the point that you would think there was a good probability of death.
can someone without prior experience get proficient at martial arts from watching a video,,no. i do think there is an exaggerated focus on people getting injured by doing so. i would bet the biggest injury would come from thinking you know how to fight and finding out otherwise should you find yourself in that position. but other than that people do and have been doing physical activity without good instruction since the birth of man kind. its not a big deal.
I tend to agree, but like everything, it depends.

When I was young, probably under ten years old, my brother (one year older than me) and I had a book on judo. We went into the basement where we had a play space, rolled out a thin carpet over the concrete floor (that ought to be enough padding) and practiced our judo throws. I landed on my head.

Now that could be just the ignorance of the very young, or it could be a stupid move that a more mature person might make without proper guidance. At any rate, we didn’t know how to throw properly, we didn’t know how to fall properly, and we certainly didn’t know what appropriate floor padding looked like. And I got hurt for it.

So it depends on what one is doing.

Mimicking kata? Probably not imminantly dangerous. Practicing throws? Yeah, definitely dangerous.
Hitting a heavy bag? Potentially hazardous.
Practicing with weapons? Possibly quite dangerous.
Two idiots having a sparring match? Someone might get hurt.

The other thing is that improper technique can be dangerous, but I would say that is an injury that takes time to develop. The way we practice the fundamental punching technique in my system will tear up your shoulders if you do it wrong. Without proper instruction, I can guarantee you will do it wrong.

The way people tend to throw out their foot in a kick, will get them a broken ankle if they ever land it on a heavy bag. And their hips can suffer over time, from side kicks and roundhouse and hook kicks. Best to get good instruction to minimize that possibility.

So yeah, people have muddled through physical activities without good instruction since the dawn of time. But some activities can hurt you, if you do them wrong.

But I tend to agree that the biggest issue is simply the self-delusion of developing crap martial arts and bad habits, while believing that one is developing good skills.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
You need a training partner so you get feedback. But I would suggest something like Krav that is easy to understand. None of the fake **** that people put out to try and rob you blind

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Desperately defending a brand?

People have to train under me or they will learn it wrong. And could be infective and possibly hurt themselves.

With no guarantee that training under me is right. I could make them ineffective and hurt them. It is not like there is any requirement for my teaching to have any merit at all.

And has anybody noticed the mental backflips occuring here?

If all styles are created equal. Then online is as valid as physical instruction. But suddenly all styles are not equal.

We have seen the same argumenst made to keep people from cross training.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The first time that I did my ski was in Copper Mountain, CO. Without any ski lesson, I got on the black diamond widow-maker. After I managed to get myself down, I jointed in a ski lesson right way. Without any ski lesson and think that I can ski on black diamond can be very stupid.

Latest Discussions