Online martial arts courses

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Talk' started by rachel_grfn, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

I guess I would still define it by the purpose of the activity. Tetherball isn’t designed for combat, though if you play enough and become physically fit that can help you survive or escape from an assault.

Martial practice is designed to develop martial skills. And it ought to help with physical fitness.

By the way, I include combat sports as martial arts, such as boxing and wrestling. Even tho they are mostly designed for competition now, it is a competition of combat and their skills are directly transferable to surviving an attack.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Dirty Dog

Dirty Dog MT Senior Moderator Staff Member

• LifeTime Supporting Member
    I disagree. I work with new students alllllllll the time who are 30-40 years younger than me and far fitter than me. Doesn't make them the least bit of a challenge. One example is a student I've mentioned before. He's 6' 6" tall (I am 6' 1") and played lineman for the local university. He's 35-ish years younger than me, WAY stronger and much fitter. When he started, taking him apart sparring was very easy. I can still beat him, but after 7 years of training (he was promoted to 1st Dan last November) it's a hell of a lot more difficult than it used to be, and I can guarantee I'm going to have a few bruises afterwards.
    Outside the school, I am involved in physical confrontations far too often for my tastes. The vast majority of these confrontations involve someone significantly younger and fitter than me. Doesn't stop me from putting them down. And I'm a worn out, tired, old, one-eyed, fat man.
    And no, that doesn't mean I think I'm some sort of world class fighting prodigy. I'm not. Any fantasies I had along those lines was beaten out of me by the time I was a teenager. It just means I've been doing this a long long time, and someone with little or no training is fairly easy to take down.
    A martial art, by definition, is focused specifically (albeit to varying degrees depending on myriad factors) on skills that are useful in a fight.

• Like Like x 1
  3. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    Most folks, if mimicking a video without an experienced person guiding their movements, will fail to do a good job mimicking the video.

4. gpseymour

gpseymour Sr. Grandmaster

Top Poster Of Month

• Supporting Member
    He didn't say anything that enhances your chance of winning a fight is a MA. I would say fitness can be (probably should be) part of a martial artist's study, but it's not necessarily part of the martial art, itself.

5. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Sr. Grandmaster

That really is kind of the point. It’s not hard to mimic and memorize the pattern of movement. But it’s not a good job, it’s shallow and misses what it is all about.

I’ve done it. When I showed my mimicked form to someone with some knowledge of it, he said yeah it’s right, but at the same time it’s all wrong. It would also depend on the complexity of the material. A less complex form vs. a more complex form, for example.

The attached video in reference, that is more acrobatics with a martial flavor. Someone with an athletic talent and some acrobatics could do those without a lot of trouble. Like the guy in the video. He apparently has the acrobatic ability.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1