Online Classes

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hidden applications is a silly concept for what you are trying to achieve through forms.

Forms are going to increase your basic range of movement. So you wind up being able to squat lower or reach further jump higher.

That way when you do application your body is in a position to do the technique you want it to.

They are not hidden. Basic core movements have multiple applications.

And understanding that stops you getting sucked in to this rabbit hole that is bunkai.
My view of my own forms is that students can adjust small amounts to make the basic movement anything they can give a reasonable explanation for. If I put in an elbow, and they replace it with an uppercut, I'm okay with it if they can explain their choice and can make it work with the basic pattern. I feel like that's how forms should work. I've heard the black belts discussing similar adjustments (though with apparently less leeway) in the Shorin-ryu forms during yudansha classes.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hidden applications is a silly concept ...
Form training can be used for:

1. combat,
2. performance, and
3. health.

When people try to apply performance (2) into combat (1), no matter how smart you are, you will never be able to figure out the true application from performance because there is none.

In the following clip, the way that he moves his right arm makes no sense at all.

In the long fist system, there are a lot of forms that are finished like this. When I was a student, my long fist teacher told me this move could be used for

- reach to my right pocket,
- pull out a throwing knife, and
- throw at my opponent.

Even today, I still cannot throw a knife with any accuracy by this method.

It's just a nice "performance" move. When I do the move, I have changed it into an upward block.

performance-move.gif

Last edited: