One small step closer...

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I got my tip for taegeuk 4 tonight! I wasn't expecting it yet but apparently I was good enough. I was most excited that I consistently end up in the exact spot I start.

That's a difficult form to end-up on the same spot! A lot of people wind-up behind the joonbee spot, I think often because of the too-short distance they travel on the double side-kicks.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
We've been working on one step sparring, which at this level involves some falling. I've been practicing with my mom, who has bad knees and an injured shoulder, so it's been a little challenging. But tonight I got to practice a little with my master too. That was fun!!! I just need to learn number 3 then self defense for belt testing. I only have until December 15 though so not sure I can make it. I hope so! Really excited to be getting close to blue belt.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Mom and I got our tips for one step sparring tonight. We have really been working on details as we go for the entire curriculum for this belt. I'm having a lot of fun with the falling...a big surprise!

Next up is self defense. Belt testing is two weeks from tomorrow and I know I'll be ready. Blue belt is close. I can't believe it.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I got my tip for self defense! I just need to have my entire curriculum checked again for my last tip and I'm ready for belt testing one week from tomorrow. Blue belt, here I come!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night I checked off in my entire curriculum and passed my last tip test. This morning I was mostly teaching during all belt class, so I stayed after to help my aunt with her self defense. She took her tip test too (needs to practice Korean terms a bit more, whoops!) and I ran through mine again as well. My back kick is getting better and better. I'm pleased with my progress and confident I will do well in my test next Friday.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
After a long day of helping my master move, I had about 5 minutes of rest before belt testing. I was so tired I don't even remember most of my test. I was on auto pilot for the most part. I did well though. I'm now a blue belt!!! Time for the curriculum to get significantly harder...

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
We started learning spinning kick tonight. Wow so fun!!!! we also learned taegeuk 5 through step 8. Next week we are closed for Christmas break but I'm getting the dojang keys because I can't go a week without tkd haha. I'm getting a lesson plan from my master (he'll be out of town) so I can keep our normal routine going just for me, my mom, and aunt. Should be fun but I'm already sad to be missing regular class.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
This thread has become more of a blog than anything, but hopefully that's ok. I have already gone back through and read everything a couple of times and it's neat to see my own excitement as I learn each part of my curriculum. I can't imagine how cool it will be to read it after I earn my black belt.

Anyway, I've now almost learned all of Taegeuk 5. We ran out of time last night so I have 4 steps left. I'm having my wisdom teeth out next week so my goal is to earn my tip for the form before then. It's going to kill me to miss a few days of class!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Phew, what a fun form!! Definitely my favorite so far (but I say that every time). I got my tip for Taegeuk 5 last night. I was surprised because we only started learning it a month ago and had time off for Christmas. Now to focus on jumping techniques for one step sparring.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been out of TKD for almost a week now due to wisdom teeth surgery :-( It is horrible!! I haven't even been in the dojang since Thursday. This is the longest I've gone without TKD since I started. You know it's bad when your master texts "I miss you" lol. AHHH I'm going crazy. Unfortunately I can't go back to exercise until Im eating normally and my jaw joint won't let me yet (thanks TMJ).

In the meantime, I've watched about a million episodes of the Korean variety show, Running Man, which I am hopelessly addicted to. Watching it has helped me so much with learning Korean language and culture. Highly recommend it. But I still miss TKD.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
I've been out of TKD for almost a week now due to wisdom teeth surgery :-( It is horrible!! I haven't even been in the dojang since Thursday. This is the longest I've gone without TKD since I started. You know it's bad when your master texts "I miss you" lol. AHHH I'm going crazy. Unfortunately I can't go back to exercise until Im eating normally and my jaw joint won't let me yet (thanks TMJ).

I understand. I was out for a while for medical reasons and it drove me crazy. Sometimes I would go to the Dojang just to watch. Those people are my family and it's nice to visit even when I can't "play."

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Man! I absolutely loved reading this hread, I have to tell all y'all old guys! The energy, enthusiasm and exuberance of this newly formed Taekwondo Warrior (term of endearment, I assure you) makes me feel good.

Where's my heavy bag?!?!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Oh man you guys. I've been posting here for almost a year now, and I have to say today I had my most proud moment in TKD. We had our normal classes this morning, followed by a first time trial student. We had been warned by a current student's mom that this kid is a problem so we were prepared for the worst. We started the trial as normal, with the master starting class, then calling me up to do the stretching. But he stayed at the back of the mat past the time when he normally comes up for me to switch with him. I finished the stretching and he still didn't come. We made eye contact and he motioned for me to continue. So I taught the student ready position, horse riding stance, basic punches, front rising and crescent kicks...and expected my master to come take over. He didn't. So I continued with teaching front snap kick and finished up the trial, including having the student bow the the flags, the master, and me. I've never done that before. I lead stretches every day in every class, and a few months ago I started also leading the basic punch and kicking warm up too. But today, I taught my first trial class by myself. The student was awesome by the way. No behavior problems at all. She loved it, so I'm looking forward to hopefully signing up a new student soon. My master told me after that he was ready to take over if she had been challenging in any way, but I was doing fine and she was good so he let me do the whole class.

As for my progress as a student, I thoroughly enjoyed my first week back on the mat. It took a couple of days to really get back into it, and my endurance is still not as good as I'd like, but it's getting better. I've been working on one step sparring, which for blue belt is all jumping techniques. I am still too fat (sigh) for these to be very good, but I am doing okay. My jump front snap kick is acceptable, and my jump roundhouse kick is *almost* there. I need to start working on jump side kick soon so I can stay on track for testing for red stripe in March. I'm not too worried about self defense techniques as I usually understand those fairly easily, but jumping is hard lol.

Anyway, just had to share how awesome my day was!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was shocked tonight when I was told that I passed my one step sparring. I've been working really hard. Some days I train in 3 classes per day. Tonight's class was special because we have another master joining us and he just got here today. He was watching, so I was trying my best to do everything as perfectly as possible all class. No pressure or anything, haha. I did well, though, and got my tip for one step sparring. Now I have plenty of time to work on self defense for belt testing.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got my self defense (shoulder grab) tip tonight! Now I have three weeks to focus on my spinning kick, which is pretty terrible sometimes and ok sometimes. I'm having trouble pivoting for the spin. My brain understands but my body pays no attention. I'll keep practicing!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Well I did it. Today I got my black tip for my spinning kick. Now I'm ready to test for red stripe. Im going to see red on my belt. Red. I am so in awe at how far I've come. Last night I didn't get my tip because my spinning kick was just bad. I was taking a small step with my front foot instead of just turning, the angle of my kick was wrong, balance was bad...you name it. I got mad. I was so mad I almost cried. But I stayed after class and practiced. One master took video of my feet for me so I could see. Then he had me take video of him. It really helped. Today I broke the rebreakable board on the first try. I am proud of myself. I wanted to give up but I didn't. Next belt testing is march 31.

Oh and full contact sparring will be starting after testing. Yikes!

Latest Discussions