One small step closer...

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
My mom still hasn't done the belt testing video..blah! Last night I got my tip for Taegeuk 3 Jang. I LOVE that form. It's so fun as each movement is getting a bit harder. Changing from walking stance to back stance, then forward stance, then turning 180 degrees into back stance, all while trying to remember to use action-reaction with my knife hand blocks and all the tiny details....ahhh I love it! I am consistently ending up on the exact spot where I started now too, so I'm very happy. I am hoping that I will test for blue stripe at the end of October, and my goal is to test for blue in December, but I'm not sure if that can happen. December's test is about 2 weeks earlier than normal because of holidays so we'll see. I already know the Korean terms so I "just" need to learn one step sparring and the first set of self defense techniques.

Tonight while practicing knife hand strike, we got to break a rebreakable board. That was really fun! I've broken what feels like a million boards with my feet already (thanks 4th of July parade and various demos during classes!) but that was the first with a hand technique. It was just to show us how we need to go "through" the neck when performing the knife hand strike during our form. This week I've also got to break with a back kick a couple of times. That is absolutely my favorite kick. I have work to do to make it proper form, but I'm getting there.

Still madly in love with taekwondo, in case it wasn't obvious. My master jokes that I'm married to TKD. I don't disagree, haha. I'm also quite enjoying learning Korean from him, his wife, and a few books I've picked up. Oh, and Korean dramas. So many Korean dramas. We have our school open house this weekend, so I am extra excited. First demo team performance! It's kind of an abbreviated demo team and we only had one practice, but it's going to be awesome anyway. And a random thought I just had...it's going to be a blast someday to read through all these super long posts I've made and reminisce about my TKD journey. One step at a time...

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Today I learned back kick. I loooove it! I kept using it in sparring tonight because it's just so fun lol. Tornado kick is stil my favorite, but back kick is pretty close.

Back kick/ reverse side kick is one of my favorites too. Practice safely and keep doing well!

-Julian

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
We had our open house event Saturday and it was a blast. The demo was awesome. I was pretty nervous but as soon as the intro music started I was completely in the zone. It reminded me strongly of high school and college marching band experiences. When it's time to perform, it's time to perform. Nothing else matters during that time. I've had a little tooth infection for a week or so so I've been taking ibuprofen like candy. Unfortunately that led to some pretty nasty bruises on my leg. One from sparring and a couple from attempting a jump front snap kick with a rebreakable board. I misjudged my distance and ended up kicking the back edge of the board. Whoops. So my right foot looked bad but I still used it for the jump front snap kick in the demo. Nailed it too, it was great! I don't jump very high so it wasn't exactly an impressive kick, but I still did it. We also did taegeuk 1 jang as a group, did some kicking target drills (front snap kick, then roundhouse + jump double roundhouse, then roundhouse + jump double roundhouse + "turn behind" roundhouse (precursor to learning tornado kick basically)), and my aunt and I did a very dramatic demonstration of one-step sparring for green stripe students. Group board breaking (jump front snap kick for everyone), then my sabumnim did 3 breaks (spinning kick, back kick, and tornado). I held the boards for his back kick (scary! lol) and tornado kick.

I've started learning one-step sparring and wow the difficulty level really stepped up this belt. #1 is an out to in crescent kick, then chamber for a sidekick without putting your foot down. Sidekick, then step down into forward stance with a face punch. I can do it, but sometimes my balance isn't good. More practice! I have about 6 weeks before belt testing, so that's plenty of time. Here's a video for what I'm learning now. Hopefully in 6 weeks I can post a video of me doing this too!
I'm loving being a green belt.

Rough Rider

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night I got my tip for Taegeuk 3 Jang. I LOVE that form. It's so fun as each movement is getting a bit harder. Changing from walking stance to back stance, then forward stance, then turning 180 degrees into back stance, all while trying to remember to use action-reaction with my knife hand blocks and all the tiny details....ahhh I love it!

I really like that form, too. I found something awhile back that explains the meaning behind the Taegeuk forms. I don't know the source, but here's what it says about Taegeuk Sam Jang:

Taegeuk 3 (Sam) Jang: Ri - Symbolizes fire and sun and has 20 movements.

As with the previous poomse, proficiency in Taegeuk Sam Jang is required of students of the 6th Gup rank and higher. The moves incorperated here, however, are more varied, and demand variety in quickness and strength on the part of the person performing as well. Ri is the philosophical correlative of this form; and Ri means fire and the sun. The sun causes fire. Man knows how to use the fire that gives light, warmth, enthusiasm, and hope.
So, the movements of this poomse must emulate the qualities of fire- that of flickering energy, of unpredictable pace and styling, and of quiet followed by great excitement or great passion- but continually moving, burning. In this poomse, many moves are combined in quick succession, such as front kicks followed instantly by double front punches. This poomse also introduces the outward middle block with a knife hand and the knife hand strike as new techniques.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I talk about this form with students, I talk about the sudden "pop" that goes from the knifehand block on the second-line to the subsequent punch. I describe it as being like the crackle and pop of a fire...it's one example of how the form should be performed "like a crackling fire".

When I get to Taegeuk Sa Jang, I talk about that really long-distance sequence of the two side kicks on the middle stem, which I describe as being like the long-distance strike of a lightning, or the rumble of thunder over a long distance.

When I get to Taegeuk Yook Jang, I talk about how the transition to the second line is done with that curvy twist-block and kick, as if you're flowing around the opponent, like water...and then at the end you slide backwards to your source, like water flowing downhill back to its source.

For Taegeuk Chil Jang, I point out how that most of the blocks they've learned so far are deflecting blocks...but not that low-cross block on the third line! It doesn't deflect at all...it stops the opponent instead...like an immovable mountain.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
When I talk about this form with students, I talk about the sudden "pop" that goes from the knifehand block on the second-line to the subsequent punch. I describe it as being like the crackle and pop of a fire...it's one example of how the form should be performed "like a crackling fire".

When I get to Taegeuk Sa Jang, I talk about that really long-distance sequence of the two side kicks on the middle stem, which I describe as being like the long-distance strike of a lightning, or the rumble of thunder over a long distance.

When I get to Taegeuk Yook Jang, I talk about how the transition to the second line is done with that curvy twist-block and kick, as if you're flowing around the opponent, like water...and then at the end you slide backwards to your source, like water flowing downhill back to its source.

For Taegeuk Chil Jang, I point out how that most of the blocks they've learned so far are deflecting blocks...but not that low-cross block on the third line! It doesn't deflect at all...it stops the opponent instead...like an immovable mountain.

Nice!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score

Testing to see if this video will play here. It's an entire belt testing but my group goes first. This was my test for green belt about a month ago. I am on track to test for blue stripe in October! Since I got to green belt as a kid, I am stoked to be getting close to having blue in my belt.

Edit: I have a feeling no one can see this video since I doubt my mom posted it as public on facebook. Blah. I need to get her to upload it to youtube.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I finally got to learn one step sparring #3. My back kick last night was sloppy and I left class really frustrated with myself. I practiced over and over in my kitchen and fortunately was able to fix the problem. Tonight I was able to continue doing it right so I was able to move on. No class tomorrow as it's belt testing day but hopefully I can get my next belt tip Saturday. I have just 3 weeks before the next belt testing and I really want to make it. We start learning self defense after we get our next tips so hopefully next week. Fingers crossed.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got my tip for one step sparring last night! My Sabumnim said we should be ready to test "tomorrow" (tonight) but at the end of class when we all demonstrated our curriculum for each other he called me up to get my tip. He told me after class that I did a great job and he couldn't wait to give it to me.

So tonight I should start learning self defense. Yay!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Got my blue tip for self defense tonight! I was teaching taegeuk 2 to two students during class tonight so I didn't get time to practice but we stayed after class for a bit and practiced. I felt pretty good about how I did while my Sabumnim watched but I was still pleasantly surprised when he called me up to get my tip. I was the only one to earn it tonight.

Blue stripe belt testing is Friday. I only need my black tip for the full curriculum and I'm ready. Blue stripe. Wow.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
And today I got my last tip! I'm now officially ready to test for blue stripe. I can't believe it!! I either test Friday at normal testing time or Thursday after class on my own. It depends on whether we are able to set up a table at a local schools festival Friday or not. Either way, I'm ready.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks! It feels like we just started this journey and now tomorrow I'm going to have blue on my belt. It's insane! But I train hard 6 days a week so I feel like I've earned what may seem like "too fast" of progression for some. I hope I can get video posted of tomorrow's test but it depends on whether my mom wants to hang around after class to film it. I'm so excited!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Belt testing is done! I think I did well. Here is a link to my flickr album which has some photos from tonight: https://flic.kr/s/aHskJXWUgA

and here is the video! (HD now available)

Last edited:
OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have been learning taegeuk 4 for the last couple of weeks. We've been learning it slowly, working on details as we go. Last night we got to step 16 so only two left! We also learned how to do a proper front snap kick for poomsae vs target kicking. This form is my favorite so far. It is much harder than any of the previous forms, but so much fun!

I worked on my tornado kick some this week during downtime, and actually got it down pretty good for a blue stripe. It's always a blast to get extra practice in.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been learning taegeuk 4 for the last couple of week...This form is my favorite so far. It is much harder than any of the previous forms, but so much fun!

This is such a challenging form! I was actually just practicing this today!
  • When I first learned it, I never felt that my Double Knifehand Blocks on the starting line looked good. I still don't think they're great, but they're better.
  • Those two Side Kicks in a row up the stem...man, it's hard for me to make those look pretty. And that second kick...chambering for the Double Knifehand Block while you're still recovering from the Side Kick...that's hard!
  • On the third line, that weird movement of doing an Inside Middle Block with the rear hand while in a Back Stance. Wha-a-a-at? That still feels contorted to me.
The trigram for this form represents "thunder". I like to think of that long-stretch up the stem as being like a lightning bolt, those double Side Kicks striking over a long distance like lightning.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
I got my tip for taegeuk 4 tonight! I wasn't expecting it yet but apparently I was good enough. I was most excited that I consistently end up in the exact spot I start. It's my favorite form so far.

Now to learn one steps and self defense for blue belt testing in December!

Latest Discussions