One small step closer...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Women's hips are an amazing thing. You only trained for four months. I would kill to get my legs as high for an axekick as you yellow belts....nice job.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thursday I got my first tip for taegeuk 2. I was going to try to rush and test for green in July but we decided that since I'm an instructor I need to be as close to perfect as I can get so I'll wait and test in August. I already know all of the Korean terms and have broken what feels like a hundred boards with a sidekick so I'm allllmost ready for belt testing anyway. Just one step sparring to learn. We should start that this week. Yay!

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thursday I got my first tip for taegeuk 2. I was going to try to rush and test for green in July but we decided that since I'm an instructor I need to be as close to perfect as I can get so I'll wait and test in August. I already know all of the Korean terms and have broken what feels like a hundred boards with a sidekick so I'm allllmost ready for belt testing anyway. Just one step sparring to learn. We should start that this week. Yay!
Absolutely awesome. Keep up the good work.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today was supposed to be a big belt testing day, but most of the students we hoped would be ready weren't actually ready. Sigh!!! We only had two test, and they did great. I am so proud of them! There is something incredible about watching kids test, knowing that I'm one of the ones who taught them their form and one-step sparring. It's just neat. But today was extra special for me because I was "in charge" of the test. I gave all of the commands and instructions so the master could focus just on grading. I was so nervous, but I think I did just fine.

We started a tradition of going out for Korean BBQ after belt testing, so I am full, smell like bulgogi, and ready for bed. But I had to share my excitement about a belt testing that wasn't even mine :D Only 4 weeks til I test for green belt!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Tomorrow is a big day! A day I've been waiting for for six months. My green belt test! As a kid, I got to green belt then quit, so this was my first major goal. I am ready. I am very confident in my entire curriculum (though least confident in sparring) and excited to show the guest master who graded my yellow belt test how much I've learned. I've seen him in a few more social situations (at a tournament and a couple times he was just visiting our school) since then, but he hasn't actually seen me practice since April.

Last Saturday, after our open class, I stayed behind as usual and got to work on flying sidekick (much harder on the mat than off the side of the pool like in my avatar, haha) and tornado kick (my favorite!!!). I'm still too overweight for a really good tornado kick, but I can do a decent job...for a green stripe belt. I'm still madly in love with TKD and have been enjoying teaching as much as learning.

Tomorrow...green belt and Korean BBQ. Woohoo!

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was wondering recently how you were doing, glad to see you're still at it :) Good luck tomorrow and enjoy passing your first milestone!

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The test went very well. The same master who graded my yellow belt test graded me this time too. I did really well. I will have to link you guys the video when it gets edited and posted so you can see how far I've come.

Time for Korean BBQ!

AVI

White Belt
Reaction score
Tonight I got my 2nd tip/stripe/whatever term you use on my white belt! It may seem like a small victory to some, but I am thrilled. My mom and I (I'm 32, and we're pretty much roommates, which is quite awesome) started taekwondo at a brand new school on Feb 18. The school opened the day before, but we were so in love with it after the first day of our trial, we signed up after our second class. Anyway, we got our first tips for learning the steps of the kibon poomsae. Not just going through the motions, but actually really doing the steps with correct form. We got our second tips tonight for doing the complete form with the low blocks and middle punches...plus maintaining the correct stance, not wobbling on turns, etc. It was AWESOME to get that second piece of tape on my belt, and I am even more pumped to keep going.

Everything hurts, and I'm exhausted, but this is awesome. I'm losing weight and actually developing some muscles already (the only shape I'm in currently is round, lol). My endurance is building, and I'm getting more flexible. And it's only been 3 weeks on Thursday.

Our first belt test will be in late April, and we have two more tips to earn before then - one for one step sparring, and one for board breaking. I am loving my school and look forward to being a part of its growth. I feel pushed to do my best at everything, encouraged when I struggle, and praised when appropriate. It's awesome.

Sorry for the long post, I am just so passionate about this already, and I had to share!
Great... keep moving forward

FlamingJulian

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Congrats. Glad to hear that. Sounds awesome. I hope you keep up with Taekwondo. I remember being excited when I got my first stripe on my white belt. Taekwondo is going to get better and better if you keep up with it. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Today I learned back kick. I loooove it! I kept using it in sparring tonight because it's just so fun lol. Tornado kick is stil my favorite, but back kick is pretty close.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@MaMaD could you explain please what you disagree with in my post? You've left me wondering what it is you think I have wrong.

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
@MaMaD could you explain please what you disagree with in my post? You've left me wondering what it is you think I have wrong.

hi there, which post? i don't remember any disagree i used, which page is it?

Edit: found it, on page 3,so awkward, must be a miss click, i didn't even read that, sorry about that:(
changed it to a like :)

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
hi there, which post? i don't remember any disagree i used, which page is it?

Edit: found it, on page 3,so awkward, must be a miss click, i didn't even read that, sorry about that:(
changed it to a like :)

That's ok, I just wondered, I'm nosy like that LOL! thank you for the like too. :):)

MaMaD

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! The test went very well. The same master who graded my yellow belt test graded me this time too. I did really well. I will have to link you guys the video when it gets edited and posted so you can see how far I've come.

Time for Korean BBQ!

someday u will post your blackbelt video, it's not easy to reach but someday u will be there.

Latest Discussions