One small step closer...

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
Very nice. Yes sparring is exhausting but it will get easier. The bruises you mostly get used to, aside from the really bad ones like kicking someone's elbow......:eek:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Very nice. Yes sparring is exhausting but it will get easier. The bruises you mostly get used to, aside from the really bad ones like kicking someone's elbow......:eek:

You reminded me of a tournament injury...

I threw a rib height roundhouse at my opponent. He blocked with the point of his elbow. His elbow must have went right between the bones in my instep (we weren't allowed foot pads). Didn't hurt much at the time.

I stuck around to watch the kids from my dojo compete. My foot started throbbing. When I got home, about 3 hours after the kick, I couldn't take my shoe off without taking the laces completely out of the shoe. It was that swollen.

I went to an urgent care the next day, which was Memorial Day. The doctor took one look and said "if that's not broken, I don't know what is." X-rays showed there was no break. He said "this is why we have X-rays." I was bartending at the time, and my customers felt bad for me because I was walking so slow. Made a few extra bucks because of it. One guy asked what my copay was and gave me the $35 to cover it.

I asked the urgent care doctor if my injury was the best of the day. Nope. He removed a fishing hook from a guy's gums about 10 minutes before I came in. Apparently the other guy on the boat wasn't paying attention when he went to cast.

The things we do. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
You reminded me of a tournament injury...

I threw a rib height roundhouse at my opponent. He blocked with the point of his elbow. His elbow must have went right between the bones in my instep (we weren't allowed foot pads). Didn't hurt much at the time.

I stuck around to watch the kids from my dojo compete. My foot started throbbing. When I got home, about 3 hours after the kick, I couldn't take my shoe off without taking the laces completely out of the shoe. It was that swollen.

I went to an urgent care the next day, which was Memorial Day. The doctor took one look and said "if that's not broken, I don't know what is." X-rays showed there was no break. He said "this is why we have X-rays." I was bartending at the time, and my customers felt bad for me because I was walking so slow. Made a few extra bucks because of it. One guy asked what my copay was and gave me the $35 to cover it.

I asked the urgent care doctor if my injury was the best of the day. Nope. He removed a fishing hook from a guy's gums about 10 minutes before I came in. Apparently the other guy on the boat wasn't paying attention when he went to cast.

The things we do. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Yup exactly my experience, when you hit the top of your foot like that you shake it off fairly easily......a couple hours later there's hell to pay....

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Last night we finished learning Taegeuk 6. SO FUN! I was ending up a meter (one square of the mat) behind my starting spot, but I knew why. The two kicks moving forward, I was stepping down into a comfortable, natural stance, rather than a longer stance. I fixed that and ended up too far to the side, but class was over so I just practiced a little more then hurried home before a storm hit (didn't work. I pulled into my driveway as the hail started). This morning after classes, I practiced a couple of times and ended up in the same spot both times! Woohoo! Our new master was teasing me that instructors ALWAYS have to end up in the same spot, and that I should practice with my eyes closed. I've done that before, but not in a long time. I want to try now.

Sparring class went way better. I improved a lot, apparently. I sparred with both masters and our black belt student again. Got a few new bruises to show for it too. I had a blast. It's much more fun when you aren't completely getting destroyed.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted, and I'm sure you guys have been on the edge of your seats waiting for an update. I passed my form and earned my tip on 4/25. I love Taegeuk 6. It's so exhausting to do it right! We started learning one step sparring after that. The first one is so hard because there's a spinning kick in it. My spinning kick has improved a LOT, but it's still hard. But I eventually passed that one and learned #2. I think I'm doing okay on that one so hopefully I can learn #3 next week then start working on self defense.

Last week we did a mother's day special class and I did a board breaking demo. I wasn't prepared mentally or physically (didn't stretch) and it took me three tries to break the board with a spinning kick. It was my fault for having bad aiming, but my master told everyone he was holding the board too low. I saw the pictures later and I was kicking too high the first two times. He raised the board and I destroyed it. Phew. Today I got to redeem myself. We had a school picnic, then hurried back to the school to host a birthday party. I knew I'd be doing a demo this time so I was nervous! But I broke the board the first time. In the picture, my arms are wild so I need to work on that, but my shoulders were down and the angle of my kick looked good. I'm happy!

I've been working on tornado kick this week. It's my favorite. I do it the cheater way (taking an extra hop/step to turn) but I'm down from 3 hops to just 1 so I'm happy with that. For now anyway. I've also improved a LOT in sparring. Full contact sparring is a blast. I still am partnered with our black belt teenager and the masters, so I come out of every class with new bruises, but it's worth it.

Belt testing should be in June. I can't believe I'm already thinking seriously about red belt testing. Insane. A year ago I was still doing pushups on my knees. Now I do 30-40 at a time the real way. 40 is about my limit, haha, but that's the max we do in class right now. This week we also did 70 roundhouse kicks in the air without dropping (hold onto the wall with one hand and kick with the master's count). I could have done more, but 70 was good. A year ago, 10 was easy, 20 was hard. Progress is awesome.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's definitely inspiring to see you still so enthusiastic about it. That feeling fades too quickly for far too many people IMO.

What belt comes after red belt in your organization?

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
After red is red with a single black stripe. That's the last belt with new material. Taegeuk 8, last one steps, last self defense. Then we have double black stripe. That's basically to review everything in the curriculum since white belt. All forms, all one steps, all self defense. Also preparing for the black belt test which will have some choreographed self defense kind of things each student has to do.

Since I help teach, double black stripe won't be as hard for me as others. I haven't forgotten any of the previous curriculum like others have haha.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So black belt is the next full belt?

My former system did brown, advanced brown, then a final brown belt - half brown, half black - before black belt. I liked the 3rd brown belt level. Like yours, there wasn't any new material. It was all improving everything you've learned and preparing for black belt. It was 6 months minimum. My current organization doesn't do this, but advanced brown belt is 1 minimum, so the time frame is pretty much the same - 1.5 to 2 years from 1st brown belt to 1st dan. Most people spend a little over 2 years as a brown belt.

Then for some reason, a lot of them quit after about 3 months of being a 1st dan. Don't be that person.

TrueJim

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Then for some reason, a lot of them quit after about 3 months of being a 1st dan...

I read once that 70% of people who earn a martial arts Black Belt quit within the first year of earning their belt. I can kinda see why, since maybe there's a temptation to think that classes are just going to be "more of the same" from that point onward.

Gwai Lo Dan

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I read once that 70% of people who earn a martial arts Black Belt quit within the first year of earning their belt.
I think many people quit to go to a different school. That was my case. "Taking a break" was an easier conversation then "I don't agree with some of the things you teach or how you talk to students, so I will find another school".

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think there's several reasons why people leave so soon after 1st dan...

Some people have black belt as an ultimate goal. They chase rank, then once they get it, they're done. My CI says he's had several students over the years leave a few months after earning their black belt, saying "I achieved my goal." Our school doesn't push earning a black belt as a goal, but I've seen many places that do, including my former school. I've seen the sign that says "Our goal is black belt" countless times. Now that you've got it, where do you go from there?

Some places run black belt classes differently than colored belt classes. Some people want more of the same, and when that changes, they don't like it. Other places teach black belts the same way, and when that doesn't change, they get tired of it. I look at the transition from colored belt to black belt the same as the transition from undergrad to grad school. In undergrad I was taught a curriculum. I was taught to memorize facts, and I had to have a very shallow interpretation of those facts, relatively speaking. In grad school, it was all "here's the facts and theories; how are you going to us them professionally?" There's a profound difference. Same thing I experienced in karate - in kyu ranks, it was as like turning me into a robot, i.e. "This is how a high block is done; this is how this kata is done." At black belt, it was "how are you going to make this work FOR YOU?" Some people loved that, some didn't. It's a fundamental shift.

Then there's people who are losing interest while they're very colored belts, but stick it out to "finish what they started."

A bunch of us left soon afterward at my former school. We were all around the same age. I went away to grad school. Another guy left for the police academy. Another guy enlisted in the Marines. We had all been promoted to 1st dan a few months beforehand or were getting ready to test for 2nd dan. Some started families, careers, etc. That's Ann age related thing, and the rank a teacher the time is concidental.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
My goal is to be a master, so at minimum I want to achieve 4th dan. This is a long term goal obviously, but I think I can do it. My master is already training me. He demands a lot more of me than other students. Not necessarily technique wise, though that is part of it, but mental training too. If I'm distracted by something else and he can tell, he lets me know. When my car was in the process of being totaled due to hail damage, he could tell I was distracted on the mat. So we had a chat about leaving that kind of stuff for when class is done. I hadn't even realized that it was affecting me. We're also working on my teaching skills. When he told me to consider every day from then on as a test for when I will eventually test to be a master, it got real. He told me that even if I get my 4th dan, if I'm not "good", he isn't going to let me be a master. Neither one of us is worried about that in the least bit, but he just pointed it out so I know how seriously he's taking my training even now. It's awesome. If everyone had such an invested master, I don't think people would quit as often.

We've lost a few students recently, none even made it to blue belt. They're all kids though, so for the most part the parents are the problem. The way I see it, black belt is the end of one journey and the beginning of another. I hope I am able to someday share that viewpoint with my students so they don't quit. We'll see.

Tonight is a belt testing night, then we're closing through Monday for memorial day. I'm SO excited to have a break. I will miss TKD, but we're going on a mini vacation together, so it's ok. My arms will be glad for the break from sparring class...maybe some of my bruises will finally heal lol.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's been a while since I posted, and I'm sure you guys have been on the edge of your seats waiting for an update. I passed my form and earned my tip on 4/25. I love Taegeuk 6. It's so exhausting to do it right! We started learning one step sparring after that. The first one is so hard because there's a spinning kick in it. My spinning kick has improved a LOT, but it's still hard. But I eventually passed that one and learned #2. I think I'm doing okay on that one so hopefully I can learn #3 next week then start working on self defense.

Last week we did a mother's day special class and I did a board breaking demo. I wasn't prepared mentally or physically (didn't stretch) and it took me three tries to break the board with a spinning kick. It was my fault for having bad aiming, but my master told everyone he was holding the board too low. I saw the pictures later and I was kicking too high the first two times. He raised the board and I destroyed it. Phew. Today I got to redeem myself. We had a school picnic, then hurried back to the school to host a birthday party. I knew I'd be doing a demo this time so I was nervous! But I broke the board the first time. In the picture, my arms are wild so I need to work on that, but my shoulders were down and the angle of my kick looked good. I'm happy!

I've been working on tornado kick this week. It's my favorite. I do it the cheater way (taking an extra hop/step to turn) but I'm down from 3 hops to just 1 so I'm happy with that. For now anyway. I've also improved a LOT in sparring. Full contact sparring is a blast. I still am partnered with our black belt teenager and the masters, so I come out of every class with new bruises, but it's worth it.

Belt testing should be in June. I can't believe I'm already thinking seriously about red belt testing. Insane. A year ago I was still doing pushups on my knees. Now I do 30-40 at a time the real way. 40 is about my limit, haha, but that's the max we do in class right now. This week we also did 70 roundhouse kicks in the air without dropping (hold onto the wall with one hand and kick with the master's count). I could have done more, but 70 was good. A year ago, 10 was easy, 20 was hard. Progress is awesome.
Im remembering your original posts, and comparing it to this. The difference is (should be) mind-blowing for you if you sit down and think about it.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Absolutely mind-blowing. I've gone back and read through my posts, maybe a month or two ago. It's so cool to see how I've progressed. I'm still just as in love with this sport. I can't imagine my life without it now. Through TKD I've met my best friends I've ever had in my life. I'm healthier, happier, and I can kick people in the face, haha.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yesterday I hated sparring so much. Long story short, I got my butt kicked by both masters. It's good for me to get pushed that hard, but I was just done. I am covered in bruises today and so sore! But I know I got a little faster, and learned some more techniques, so it's worth it. I'll be ready to do it again next Friday.

We're a little behind on where we need to be to test this month, but I'm fairly confident we can still make it. Spinning kick is still so ridiculously hard I don't think I'll ever really have it down consistently. It's definitely improved, but ugh. So frustrating to be held back in curriculum because I suck at spinning kick. The frustration is with myself, of course. We've learned all of our one step sparring, just need to pass each one so we can earn our tips, then start learning self defense. If we can start that Tues/Weds, then we should be okay for belt testing.

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Congrats on your progress. Am I right in thinking that you are on course to earn your black belt in under 2 years?

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congrats on your progress. Am I right in thinking that you are on course to earn your black belt in under 2 years?

It will be just over two years if all goes to plan. I know that's faster than a lot of people find acceptable, but I trained 5 days a week for the first three months then 6 days a week from then on. 2 1/2 years is probably the max time it'll take me, but we'll see!

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It will be just over two years if all goes to plan. I know that's faster than a lot of people find acceptable, but I trained 5 days a week for the first three months then 6 days a week from then on. 2 1/2 years is probably the max time it'll take me, but we'll see!

It doesn't matter what anyone thinks is an acceptable time frame. All that matters is that you (and your teacher) find your skill level acceptable when the time comes.

The average in my former organization was 5 years to 1st dan. I tested and passed one month short of 4 years. During that time, I was in the dojo 4-5 nights a week. I usually took back to back classes and assisted teaching a few nights too. That organization's policy was minimum number of classes attended, not time in grade. The only time requirement was at 1st kyu - you had to be 1st kyu for a minimum of 6 months of consistent training AND have a minimum of 80 or so classes to test for 1st dan. Promoting to the next dan rank had minimum consistent time in grade though.

In my almost 4 years before 1st dan, I typically had more than double the minimum classes for each rank I tested for. I didn't do that to promote faster; I did that because I loved training. And because I was in college and didn't have the responsibilities I have now :)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Please don't confuse my question as being judgmental. I don't believe in time frames for black belt rank, or anything else for that matter. Talent and ability is the key. No one can put a time frame on that. Hard work determines success. I'm proud of you for the progress you've made. You are earning it.

OP
serietah

serietah

Green Belt
Reaction score
Please don't confuse my question as being judgmental. I don't believe in time frames for black belt rank, or anything else for that matter. Talent and ability is the key. No one can put a time frame on that. Hard work determines success. I'm proud of you for the progress you've made. You are earning it.

Thank you! I work really hard, putting everything I have into not only my own training but also teaching and helping as manager. I love it, even when I'm exhausted and really just want to go home and go to bed.

Last night I earned my tip for one step sparring (omg that spinning kick...). I suspect I barely passed, but we will start learning self defense tonight! I have to keep practicing spinning kick though. Failing belt testing is a real possibility. We have until 6/30 to learn our self defense then review everything for belt testing.

I finally noticed that I "cheat" with almost every kick. I take a tiny step forward with my front foot before I turn for a roundhouse kick, spinning kick, back kick, whatever. I never even noticed, but my masters both do, and that's why I consistently get my butt kicked during sparring. They know exactly what I'm going to do before I move. I have to work on that!

Latest Discussions