~ One of these things, is not like the others. ~

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You may remember the song from Seasame Street, or Romper Room, or The Electric Company. One of those wholesome PBS Shows. Think about it for a moment.

I was working with some new students yesterday. In the process of reviewing 'Intellectual Departure', I touched on three other techniques. I felt that the four techniques, looked at together, started to set the stage for what I sometimes refer to as the Magic of Kenpo.

As I reviewed last night's lesson on a drive this morning, one of the techniques has a difference that just jumped out at me. I played around a bit more with the idea, and it seems like it might be a good learning game for students of all ages.

So, let's see if we can find any traction with this idea. Maybe build a game for all to use in their classes.

On my next post on this thread, I will post the four techniques. I am think of a very specific difference on a very specific technique in the group. There may be others. Take a stab at it.

Which technique do you think is different, and why?

Or, group up four techniques yourself, choosing one in the set that has a clear difference, and post it for all of us to attempt to solve.

.... I have been whistling that tune all day .... ALL Day!!!!

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
1 - Intellectual Departure

2 - Delayed Sword

3 - Deflecting Hammer

4 - Sword of Destruction

Which one is different and why?

Bonus thoughts - Why did I group these four techniques together?

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'd say Intelectual depature becuase the others all step back into a right neutral bow while Intelectual depature steps more to reverse bow.

There grouped becuase they all use the right hand for the begining defense.

Final answer Regis.%-}

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think Deflecting Hammer differs from the others because there is no kick by the defender. The other three do have kicks in defense. This technique also differs because of closing in on the outside zone of the attacker. The other three closes in on the inside zone of the attacker.

Intellectual Departure differs from others because of the inward downward block/parry to the inside of the attacker's kicking leg, and the defender momentarily has the back to the attacker (and set up for the next move). The other three,

Sword of Destruction differs because the attacker uses his left side to attack. The other three, attacker uses his right.

A Delayed Sword differs using a simultaneous block with both arms (a version). Other versions I've seen would have an R inward block with a L hand check.

Why group them all? Well, they all control for attacker's height zone.

These are just my thoughts.

Mike, What exactly are you looking for in having us problem-solve?

- Ceicei

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My thinking is:

Deflecting Hammer is different because it is an Outside Technique. (Props for Ceicei).

Of course, I am sure that, as mentioned, there are many other differences noticable when reviewing the techniques. And I would never presume to dictate this is the only aspect that differentiates only this technique. But, when the thought occurred to me, this difference is blindingly obvious. It is also a idea that I think new students would be able to grasp.

I grouped these four techniques together because of the right hand block (Props to Maltair).
But even further, because of the directions of those right hand blocks. I think many beginners can easily see that Sword of Destruction and Delayed Sword are, shall we say, 'similar' with the right hand block. But pair these two techniques with those that block on the bottom, and, I think the similarities become self-evident. Maybe.
Inward on top.
Outward on top.
Inward on bottom.
Outward on bottom.

Like on Sesame Street, you can't play this game with just one set. When I have a few minutes, I will continue to work on others. As a teaching technique, this concepts do really need to be very clear, and appropriate for the intended student's level of knowledge. (Beginning belt level students should be aware of 'inside' and 'outside'). Within that parameter, anybody got other suggestions for this game?

Navarre

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Aw, man! I don't know your techniques! I guess this is a Kempo only game.

I feel like Rudolph.

Rick Wade

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have offten show the similarities in those three techniques when teaching Intilectual Departure.

Kenpo is no game! :whip: just kidding:)

Aloha

Rick

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
Intellectual Departure differs from others because of the inward downward block/parry to the inside of the attacker's kicking leg, and the defender momentarily has the back to the attacker (and set up for the next move). The other three,

I just realized I left that last sentence unfinished. I don't remember now what I originally thought when I wrote it, but it is probably similar to "The other three primarily face the attacker". I wanted to say something a bit more indepth than that (and then forgot to return to finishing it with a better point). Sorry. I've gotta proofread my posts a bit more! :uhyeah:

I'm looking forward to another set of examples from you, Mike. I was thinking about your subject today while working on some 2nd brown techniques. After I've thought through some of them a bit more, I may post my views for your feedback. Do you prefer to keep your topic limited to beginner level techniques?

- Ceicei

OP
M

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ceicei said:
I'm looking forward to another set of examples from you, Mike. I was thinking about your subject today while working on some 2nd brown techniques. After I've thought through some of them a bit more, I may post my views for your feedback. Do you prefer to keep your topic limited to beginner level techniques?

There are so many important concepts in the system, that there is no reason to limit it to any specific level.

I think one of the challenges I face, is putting what we are learning 'in context'. I think this idea of finding the odd man out, can help focus on a concept and its application.

I have a couple of more concepts in mind ... I need to find some techniques that clearly demonstrate them. But certainly anyone who wants to play, add your set to the thread.

DavidCC

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Navarre said:
Aw, man! I don't know your techniques! I guess this is a Kempo only game.

I feel like Rudolph.

Actually, it's a keNpo only game :/

Latest Discussions