One mans critique of the IKCA tapes, unfavorable...

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One of my students almost went with the IKCA (before he found me; we're in a rural area) and he has the vids. I watched them...the thought occurred to me (just for a minute) that I could teach IKCA material as "kenpo lite" in addition to EPAK... then I thought the better of it.

I didn't really see much problem with Mr. Sullivan. some of the techniques taught are pretty similar (go figure)---I'm sure I saw "5 swords" with closed fists; I saw a variation of the Tracy System "anvil"

LaRouix (sp?) on the other hand, I don't know what it was; but he just bugged me on the old tapes... I don't know, something just bothered me about that guy: the way he moved, the way he talked and the way he carried himself. In the newer tapes and in a couple other vids I've seen of him, he doesn't bug me as much. Of course, I've never met the guy in person, so how can I really be making a good judgment?

I would always recommend that a student get a live teacher. So much of what martial artists do has to be felt to get right. But that's just my opinion.

Old Fat Kenpoka

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Ray said:
One of my students almost went with the IKCA (before he found me; we're in a rural area) and he has the vids. I watched them...the thought occurred to me (just for a minute) that I could teach IKCA material as "kenpo lite" in addition to EPAK... then I thought the better of it.

I didn't really see much problem with Mr. Sullivan. some of the techniques taught are pretty similar (go figure)---I'm sure I saw "5 swords" with closed fists; I saw a variation of the Tracy System "anvil"

LaRouix (sp?) on the other hand, I don't know what it was; but he just bugged me on the old tapes... I don't know, something just bothered me about that guy: the way he moved, the way he talked and the way he carried himself. In the newer tapes and in a couple other vids I've seen of him, he doesn't bug me as much. Of course, I've never met the guy in person, so how can I really be making a good judgment?

I would always recommend that a student get a live teacher. So much of what martial artists do has to be felt to get right. But that's just my opinion.

I got the same feeling about Vic. Also about Larry Tatum. I thought about it for a long time.... Then I realized it was the haircuts! I am jealous of all their hair.

Hand Sword

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the Void (Where still, this merciless GOD torme
Maybe thats why they look so fast! It's the way the hair flows, when they're moving. It adds to the dramatic effect.
icon7.gif

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ray said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your appraisal of the IKCA system, but I have had a number of conversations with Vic LeRoux and found him to be a highly personable and knowledgeable martial artist. Again, I have no personal opinion on the IKCA program, but I think that people should be more concerned with WHAT they do and less concerned with what OTHERS do.

Ronin Moose

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
I don't necessarily disagree with your appraisal of the IKCA system, but I have had a number of conversations with Vic LeRoux and found him to be a highly personable and knowledgeable martial artist. Again, I have no personal opinion on the IKCA program, but I think that people should be more concerned with WHAT they do and less concerned with what OTHERS do.

Well said! If its not for you then don't do it; just move on and let these folks be. After all, this isn't KENPONET. LOL!

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wild Bill said:
I am no expert in Kenpo but I have visited many different commercial schools. If the students in this link are representative of the system as a whole then I would say that the IKCA is no better or worse than any other commercial system. http://www.kenpohomestudycourse.com/kenpo/evolutionhi.htm I own the orange belt tape and I think it is very good instruction for beginners. I have had an opportunity to watch Fred Villari's tapes. There is more instruction in the IKCA orange belt tape than the entire Villari series.

I believe that you can't become an expert fighter just by watching videos. That is also true of many commercial schools. It is also important to remember that belt rank is completely subjective. Standards change from style to style and teacher to teacher. An IKCA black belt lives up to the standards of IKCA. An IKKA black belt lives up to the standards of IKKA. Argueing is pretty pointless. I don't worry about what other people are doing. It's none of my business. I just train and enjoy.

What I see as interesting in one can learn techniques where they they can strike an opponent 4, 5 or more times without the opponent moving not even an inch and when they did move it was compliant to the techniques.

I think the "untramans" movement was more realistic but not enough. But it proves that one good strike (with a realistic reaction from the opponent) by itself would change the techniques agles, foot placement, shuffling and so on. That may be where the grafting comes in but it dosen't change the fact the training that is happening is lacking the needed contact to make it realisticly effective.

AmericanKenpoChris

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Gotta have the "kenpullet." I judge the authenticity of my kenpo by the kenpullet (kenpo-mullet). If it's lacking, I would be weary.

My 4 year old niece said that my hair is getting a little long in the back, and I am starting to look like butt-rock. One day we were watching old hair-metal videos, and I said uncle Chris used to listen to "butt-rock."

But seriously, if my video instructor doesn't have kenpullet, skullet, femullet, beaver paddle, business in the front-party in the back, camaro-cut, a number 7, etc., then no dice...

OP
Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score
AmericanKenpoChris said:
Gotta have the "kenpullet." I judge the authenticity of my kenpo by the kenpullet (kenpo-mullet). If it's lacking, I would be weary.

My 4 year old niece said that my hair is getting a little long in the back, and I am starting to look like butt-rock. One day we were watching old hair-metal videos, and I said uncle Chris used to listen to "butt-rock."

But seriously, if my video instructor doesn't have kenpullet, skullet, femullet, beaver paddle, business in the front-party in the back, camaro-cut, a number 7, etc., then no dice...

As someone who wore a mullet/pony-tail and handle-bar mustache "back in the day", I resemble that remark. (lord, I miss my hair).

Dave